“Hello? Can you hear me?”

Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ranked #28 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times while visiting a trade show at the NEC. The standard is always as expected and does not disappoint. The rooms are clean and well organised, OK it's a no frills hotel but still, the room is large, there is a TV, shower gel, an efficient shower, a kettle and t-bags, plenty of storage and sockets, air conditioning and a very comfortable, large bed.
I feel a little awkward complaining, because I really like these hotels for business use. However, Premier Inn have made an utterly bewildering decision to remove telephones from all their rooms. In my short stay this time, I needed to get hold of reception twice. Once to order a taxi, and once to ask for an iron. I had to wend my way down two floors to reception twice for this. OK, this sounds a little churlish after all I am blessed with two legs and a reasonable sense of direction. However, that is not really the point. Particularly the taxi, I needed to order it and then get ready while it was arriving. Instead, I had to get ready, go down, order it and then sit and twiddle my thumbs waiting. It was really annoying (relatively). Premier Inn, what on earth possessed you to remove the phones? I won't stay again until you replace them.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank writegem
There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed here for an overnight sleepover before heading off on holiday from Birmingham airport. The hotel was large, clean and friendly. Premier Inns are such great quality for trips like this and we are never disappointed. We had a meal deal the night before, which has a fairly good choice from the menu and a superb buffet breakfast, what a great start to a long trip!

Overall very happy, for the price this is perfect and a great location to the airport.

NB - My wife says the shower is powerful, the towels are absorbent and the pillows brilliant. As a bloke I didn't notice!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PeteNook333
Reviewed 24 October 2013

No record of our advance payment waited 1 3/4 hrs for a meal that never arrived. Went to reception twice leaving wife in dark as no phone in room needed key to open fire door to ask heating to be turned up.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Cliff J
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We had an overnight stay on sunday 20th october 2013. The hotel itself was clean and hotel staff friendly. It was £6 to park for 24 hours and if it wasn't for the car park warden we may have struggled especially as we had a 6 digit number plate. (you need to put a 0 at the end if this refers to you)

Before our meal we went for a drink (the bar/restaurant are part of the hotel) and despite the bar man watching us walk into the bar we had to ask him to serve us.

We booked a table for our evening meal. To begin with the waitress was attentive till it came to bringing our order. Another waitress brought our meals but didn't return with the rest of our order and we had to ask another waitress to get it. After our main course my husband ordered a pudding and I had a liqueur coffee which came promptly. My husband had to wait 20 mins for his pudding and again had to find out where it was. To be honest if the restaurant was busy then we would have understood the delay but it wasn't.

When we asked for the bill there was a discrepancy about the cost of one of the drinks. We questioned it and it took another 20 mins and the manager to sort it. It was a bit of a shambles. In the end we got all our drinks and extras for free. We don't complain for freebies we do it to draw attention to shocking service.

There were plenty of other people not happy with the service but I don't know if any complained.

Apart from the meal, we hgad a good nights sleep. We would stay again but eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: All the floors can be accessed by a lift.
2  Thank Emma C
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by the Management Team at this hotel. We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have to start out by saying that I had felt Premier Inn to be pretty straight with there customers so I have recently started to use them more often for business and pleasure trips.
The fact that they offer a goods nights sleep guarantee is the main reason I started using them though. I know that you cannot replace lost sleep and there is nothing worse than trying to stay awake the following day in a warm meeting room, the voices fade into the distance and your gone.
But at least you didn't pay for the sleep you didn't get.
I have used this guarantee on two occasions without any quibble from the receptionists. I would urge others to do the same.
So if I am pleased with them why am I now slagging them off?
Read on.

I bought an item from an auction website it was collection only so decided to make a weekend of it booked two nights stay at Premier Inn@ NEC and bought tickets for the caravan show. Had a pleasant drive up from Surrey.

TIP. If you do book this hotel the Post code is wrong it will take you to a business park and not the hotel. Best way to find it is ask any traffic officer at the NEC car park they are so used to being asked they pre empted my question. No point in ringing the reception as you will be put on hold at 10P per minute plus mobile charges to eventually be cut off (twice).

Did the show. Found the hotel checked in, bathed and went to dinner.
Didn't use the meal deal because I wanted the mixed grill and the choices are restricted. So, Chicken wings starter, mixed grill main and profiteroles for desert.

Described in their menu as...
CRISPY CHICKEN WINGS
Succulent chicken wings served with both
Mild Jalapeño and Original TABASCO
sauces to give them an extra kick. Served with
house slaw and a pot of cool sour cream. 4.99

Wow. Sounds good doesn't it!
There are just three tiny wings served in a cup, with a capful of sour cream and a dessert spoon of slaw £4.99.
So that is £1.66 per chicken wing which we all know is nearly all bone right?
Three pounds a kilo from Iceland.
Plenty of space for the Big One the mixed grill described in their menu as...

MIXED GRILL The big one! Juicy rump steak, chicken breast, gammon steak, premium pork sausage and a fried egg served with all the trimmings. 14.80

A big one and all the trimmings too! Sounds good doesn't it!
What you get is: MIXED GRILL a small one! eye patch of juicy rump steak, small piece of chicken breast, very salty gammon an ordinary breakfast sausage, small fried egg served with 12 chips and fourteen undercooked French beans. I counted em.

I am worried about the sweet now but their menu says...
PROFITEROLES
Profiteroles with lashings of warm chocolate flavour
fudge sauce. 4.95.

Lashings. That's like loads isn't it. Sounds good doesn't it?
What can go wrong here, I have these all the time at The Harvester (theirs come with ice cream. Yummy) I usually end up leaving some.
Not a chance at the Premier Inn Thyme restaurant.
There were five, that's just under a £1.00 per profit roll all topped off with a bland over sugared imitation chocolate flavoured sauce, , that didn't taste of chocolate in the slightest the bonus was there wasn't lashings of it. All served in a tiny bowl. At Asda you can buy those Profiteroles at a pound for sixteen and better chocolate sauce too.

Wifes meal?
Starter AROMATIC DUCK PARCELS
Tasty aromatic duck parcels with house slaw and
sweet, sticky soy & ginger sauce for dipping. 5.25

Sounds good doesn't it? Well it does doesn't it.
Actually comprises of four incredibly small (like the ones in an Iceland mixed bag of 60 Chinese party pack @5.00 pounds or 9P each and tasting exactly the same) wrapped tiny Duck parcel with a capful of dip.
So more profitable coming in at 1.31 each parcel than the profit rolls at £1.00 each but still leaving the chicken wings in front at 1.66 per wing.

For wifes main
WOODLANDMUSHROOM & GARLIC RISOTTO
Topped with shaved hard cheese, rocket and drizzled with olive oil. Served with mixed house salad. 8.95
With chicken breast or salmon steak 10.95.

Sounds good? Woodland mushrooms and they shaved the cheese!
So what did we get? Well.....
She chose the Chicken so 10.95. Small portions again and the rice was slimy. Mushrooms, well no woodland taste in fact no taste at all really. But she ate it all. wasn't difficult given the quantity.
Having been bitten twice she declined a sweet.

So there we have it meal done and so to bed hungry and a bit punchy from the mugging.
2:00 am and I am woken by the wife who is complaining of something banging repeatedly from below our bedroom window room number 218.
Looking out I could see we were placed above the kitchen, oh the irony.
What seemed to be making the noise was the refrigeration unit.
Turned on the room AC unit to drown out the outside noise.
Reception in the morning and I claimed under the guarantee and cancelled the room for the Sunday.
Scores at the end were Guests £57.00 down and a nights sleep lost Whitbread 196.00 lost sales and a customer who will now figure Holiday Inn and the other chains back into my choice equation.

When I go away I want to try and forget about predatory businesses, energy company price hikes, greedy employers zero hours contracts and every other rip off attack on our daily lives and our wallets. I don't want to go to somewhere you are looked on as a target to clean out as much from you as they can especially not penny pinching on the food. I want somewhere I can trust to tell me the truth about what I am paying for.Then I can relax.
My advice to Whitbread would be spend less on the menu script writers and give better value food with decent portion sizes, be honest state the number of wings or profit rolls or charge more and give more. Look to the M&Bs Harvester for some pointers they run catering similar to yours and they do it without tricky menus and give good portion sizes.

However this hotel does have toilet rolls and not the single sheet dispensers in some their other hotels.
Food quality = low cost supermarket
Portion sizes = bigged up but only by the menu copy writers
Post code = totally wrong
There is very little if no choice of restaurants nearby so plan to eat out or take something in. If you do venture away from the hotel waymark your sat nav for the return.
P.S Burgers looked OK........ ....On the Menu.

Room Tip: Bring in a take away or eat out. Avoid room 218.
1  Thank Brezett
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up with the Management Team at this hotel, we will also ensure your feedback is passed onto our Marketing Team for review. We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Good clean room and friendly staff.

Slightly surprised with the little things that you have to pay for extra such as if you want to contact reception it is an 0870 number which is 10p per minute, pay extra for wifi (£3 for 24 hours)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2013

A budget hotel that charged a premium price for poor quality & service.
Service was very slow unfriendly staff that acted like you were disturbing them instead of it being their job. Maintenance not good with bath tap only giving cold water, bulbs out and heating that had mind of its own.

1  Thank Sharron W

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to deliver a high standard of service and we do apologise that on this occasion we failed to achieve this. Please be assured that your feedback is very important to us as we endeavour to improve standards and meet all our customer’s needs. We hope to welcome you back in the future.