“Loved it here”

Ranked #27 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Loved it here”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My room was cosy, warm and the 2 nights I spent here I felt I was in my own bedsit. The staff were friendly and helpful and its great to have access to a good choice of breakfast until 12 noon downstairs in the bar. It was packed the night I arrived due to the annual German Christmas market but I was able to take my evening meal up to my room. I would definitely stay here again and it is in an excellent location. Not far from all 3 stations and near to the tram at Snow Hill plus of course central for shops and sight seeing. The new library is great with 9 floors and a secret garden on the 7th floor. The canal walk is also not far and really nice place to wander and have lunch or dinner. Would go again definitely.

Room Tip: I was in 502 which I really liked as it was warm and cosy when the weather turned cold, it suited me...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
BriarRosehotel, Receptionist at The Briar Rose Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2015
Dear Cleo L,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a fantastic 5* review.

We are so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay.

Many of our guests, like yourself, take advantage of our central location to see the sights of Birmingham.

The Briar Rose Hotel Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Got there too early for official sign into room, but staff sorted us anyway.
Room was quite spacious and very clean.
That evening, we went down for a meal in the bar with our baby, but due to a nearby Christmas street event it was very busy and no tables free. The hotel desk girl spotted us and arranged for us to have food brought to our room.
Food was pretty good and very reasonably priced. I usually ask for my meat to be cooked rare, but forgot this time and the burgers were blackened. My wife's curry was great and she said the highlight of the trip was the carrot cake.
£69.00 for both of us, right in the city centre was very good value.
Would definitely recommend.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Chaoscurran,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a fantastic 5* review.

We are so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and that you had a lovely dinner.

Lincolnshire
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed here with my mother for a few days.

It is an easy 5 minutes walk to the hotel and in a fabulous location. Right in the middle of New Street with all the shops and places to eat. There is a Tesco Extra and a Morrisons Local 3 minutes in either direction from the bottom of Bennetts Hill.

Our room was comfortable, but there was nowhere to sit and work or eat (you can take food to your room). I am always on the look-out for accommodation to use when booking for colleagues away on business, but the one tiny desk would not be enough. This is a shame, as there was a huge wasted space in the room where a table and the TV could be placed. As it is the TV is on the wall above the bathroom door, so rather uncomfortable unless watching in bed! There is nowhere to put your clothes, other than the wardrobe (no drawers or cupboards), which might not matter if you are only there for a night but when staying for 3 nights it is nice to be able to unpack your case.

On the plus side there were plenty of spare pillows if needed, the towel rail worked (often they seem to have been disconnected!), we were automatically given two room keys, the radiator could be adjusted to suit and the shower was wonderfully powerful!

There were a few problems - used cups and glasses not being replaced but rinsed (lipstick on the rims), the water not being replaced ("waiting for a delivery"). Reception was often left unmanned, with a notice directing you to the bar - not great when the bar was busy.

There was a lovely young lady on reception who was always cheerful and smilely, despite her seeming to be on Reception all day on Wednesday, from breakfast to teatime.

However, our stay was marred by the incredibly rude woman on reception as we left. When we passed Reception to and from breakfast it was unmanned. As a result I decided to leave our keycards in our room as there is nowhere to post them at Reception. When we were leaving I paused at Reception to let the three women who had appeared in the three minutes we were upstairs know we were leaving. However, one was on the phone and the other two would not meet my eye or respond to my "good morning". I said we were leaving but received no acknowledgement so we turned to leave as we had a train to catch. Half way down the corridor the woman on the phone (blonde with a pony tail and sour face) shouted after us "are you checking out" I confirmed we were and was rudly barked at that we should give her our keys. I told her they were in our room as we would not leave them at a Reception that had been unmanned all morning. She did respond but we could not make out what she uttered (probably were not meant to). The joke is that she was on the phone enquiring as to how the hotel could go from 3 to 4 star! I think her receiving some customer service training from the lovely young lad who was there the day before would be a good start!

Would I stay here again? Probably, as the price and location are excellent. I just hope that the unpleasant woman will have received some training as I hate to think of her spoiling anyone else's stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear oggrocks,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We are so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay.

Firstly I would like to apologise, here at The Briar Rose Hotel we set ourselves the highest possible standards unfortunately, on occasions we may fall short of these desired standards, so I would like to apologise for the points you have made.

We would like to assure you that our reception desks are due to me manned at all times. However this is not always possible as our receptionist may have to attend to other guests. We are deeply sorry the any issues caused at check out and hope that it did not ruin your stay in Birmingham.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

First time we've stayed at a Wetherspoon Hotel and we were pleasantly surprised. This hotel is clean and nicely decorated. We had a nice big room and a fairly comfortable bed. The staff were all friendly both at reception and in the bar. A bit noisy on a Saturday night but you would expect that in a busy city centre.
It's an excellent base for exploring Birmingham city centre and it's only a short walk to the Jewellery Quarter and the Birmingham NIA.
Plus they do a great value breakfast!
We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear jkbloke70,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night !!! It's a great hotel lovely room and great service !!! Would defiantly stay again. It's the style of a boutique hotel with the boutique price tag. !!!!!

Great reception staff and lovely bar area !!! You have to stay here great value for money !!!

Stayed November 2013
Dear Louisetracy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a great 5* review.

we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Limavady, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Well run, clean. Attached to a Wetherspoons - easy going. A lady manageress really made our stay - pity we didn't get her name. Would definitely stay here again!!!!!!!!!! Room 210 a little noisy on Friday night but we soon got used to it - there must be a club nearby?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear NormLimav,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a great review.

we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff helpful.

We are sorry for any noise you encountered during your stay with us.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3rd time
Lovely exec room £75
Nice big room beautiful decoration
Comfy bed
Downside. We stayed in 293 bath very difficult to get in and out of
Black mould on tiles and dusty lampshades
Only half of lights working in bathroom
Shame would have rated 5 stR if cleaners and odd job man had done their job
Just a little attention to detail would have made it perfect
I would stay again tho

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear davegirling,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a great review.

Firstly i would like to apologise, here at The Briar Rose Hotel we set ourselves the highest possible standards unfortunately, on occasions we may fall short of these desired standards, so I would like to apologise for the points you have made.

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.