1,152 results
All reviewswetherspoons publuxury roomcity centrenew street stationbottled watergerman marketcentral birminghamnice roomsingle roomtrain stationchristmas marketpowerful showerfew minutes walkgreat central locationgood sizesaturday nighttea and coffee making facilities
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here recently at a visit to the Xmas markets. It is central for most things, very clean and the staff cannot do enough to ensure you enjoy your stay. Breakfasts are excellent but evening dining may prove problematic as the bar is always packed. Not a problem however as you are so close to lots of eateries.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back of the hotel seem to be quieter but do not have a view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
BriarRosehotel, Receptionist at The Briar Rose Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2015

Dear ATripadvisee404,

We are so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay.

During Christmas, due to the markets, our pub does get quite busy, however we do allow guests to take meals from the pub up to their room in these cases, or for guest traveling alone who do not wish to eat alone.

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Perfect hotel on a room only basis. This was our first time in. A Weatherspoons Lodge, did not know what to expect but we were not disappointed. Stayed in a Luxury Room, which was ample in space and spotless. Bottles of water in the room were a nice touch. The hotel let us check in two hours early, without charging extra, unlike some chains. Only eat Breakfast at the hotel, that was a good traditional Weatherspoons breakfast.

Looking to book again.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear mattmee,

Reviewed 23 November 2013

My room was cosy, warm and the 2 nights I spent here I felt I was in my own bedsit. The staff were friendly and helpful and its great to have access to a good choice of breakfast until 12 noon downstairs in the bar. It was packed the night I arrived due to the annual German Christmas market but I was able to take my evening meal up to my room. I would definitely stay here again and it is in an excellent location. Not far from all 3 stations and near to the tram at Snow Hill plus of course central for shops and sight seeing. The new library is great with 9 floors and a secret garden on the 7th floor. The canal walk is also not far and really nice place to wander and have lunch or dinner. Would go again definitely.

Room Tip: I was in 502 which I really liked as it was warm and cosy when the weather turned cold, it suited me very well and was quiet. I did not see any other rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Cleo L,

We are so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay.

Many of our guests, like yourself, take advantage of our central location to see the sights of Birmingham.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Got there too early for official sign into room, but staff sorted us anyway.
Room was quite spacious and very clean.
That evening, we went down for a meal in the bar with our baby, but due to a nearby Christmas street event it was very busy and no tables free. The hotel desk girl spotted us and arranged for us to have food brought to our room.
Food was pretty good and very reasonably priced. I usually ask for my meat to be cooked rare, but forgot this time and the burgers were blackened. My wife's curry was great and she said the highlight of the trip was the carrot cake.
£69.00 for both of us, right in the city centre was very good value.
Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Chaoscurran,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a fantastic 5* review.

We are so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and that you had a lovely dinner.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed here with my mother for a few days.

It is an easy 5 minutes walk to the hotel and in a fabulous location. Right in the middle of New Street with all the shops and places to eat. There is a Tesco Extra and a Morrisons Local 3 minutes in either direction from the bottom of Bennetts Hill.

Our room was comfortable, but there was nowhere to sit and work or eat (you can take food to your room). I am always on the look-out for accommodation to use when booking for colleagues away on business, but the one tiny desk would not be enough. This is a shame, as there was a huge wasted space in the room where a table and the TV could be placed. As it is the TV is on the wall above the bathroom door, so rather uncomfortable unless watching in bed! There is nowhere to put your clothes, other than the wardrobe (no drawers or cupboards), which might not matter if you are only there for a night but when staying for 3 nights it is nice to be able to unpack your case.

On the plus side there were plenty of spare pillows if needed, the towel rail worked (often they seem to have been disconnected!), we were automatically given two room keys, the radiator could be adjusted to suit and the shower was wonderfully powerful!

There were a few problems - used cups and glasses not being replaced but rinsed (lipstick on the rims), the water not being replaced ("waiting for a delivery"). Reception was often left unmanned, with a notice directing you to the bar - not great when the bar was busy.

There was a lovely young lady on reception who was always cheerful and smilely, despite her seeming to be on Reception all day on Wednesday, from breakfast to teatime.

However, our stay was marred by the incredibly rude woman on reception as we left. When we passed Reception to and from breakfast it was unmanned. As a result I decided to leave our keycards in our room as there is nowhere to post them at Reception. When we were leaving I paused at Reception to let the three women who had appeared in the three minutes we were upstairs know we were leaving. However, one was on the phone and the other two would not meet my eye or respond to my "good morning". I said we were leaving but received no acknowledgement so we turned to leave as we had a train to catch. Half way down the corridor the woman on the phone (blonde with a pony tail and sour face) shouted after us "are you checking out" I confirmed we were and was rudly barked at that we should give her our keys. I told her they were in our room as we would not leave them at a Reception that had been unmanned all morning. She did respond but we could not make out what she uttered (probably were not meant to). The joke is that she was on the phone enquiring as to how the hotel could go from 3 to 4 star! I think her receiving some customer service training from the lovely young lad who was there the day before would be a good start!

Would I stay here again? Probably, as the price and location are excellent. I just hope that the unpleasant woman will have received some training as I hate to think of her spoiling anyone else's stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear oggrocks,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We are so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay.

Firstly I would like to apologise, here at The Briar Rose Hotel we set ourselves the highest possible standards unfortunately, on occasions we may fall short of these desired standards, so I would like to apologise for the points you have made.

We would like to assure you that our reception desks are due to me manned at all times. However this is not always possible as our receptionist may have to attend to other guests. We are deeply sorry the any issues caused at check out and hope that it did not ruin your stay in Birmingham.