“Business travelers should avoid”

and 1 more site!
The Briar Rose Hotel
Ranked #25 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Business travelers should avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Room 404
March 5, 2014 arrival
Moved to room 205
March 8, 2014

This hotel was chosen and booked for me by someone else based on the reviews on TripAdvisor.

Check-in was simple, and I headed to my first room (the same room was not available on the last day of my stay, so I booked a double room for 3 nights and a single room for one night). The elevator is small but works. If you have phobias about elevators, you might want to take the stairs. The horrible creaking and clicking noises it makes when it reaches floor 3 and above is unsettling.

The room was dimly light. There was no safe, ironing board, or iron. There was mention of 'borrowing' an iron and board from the front desk, but who wants to lug that up to their room? There was an issue with connecting to the internet. My tablet connected fine, but my laptop would not. I asked the front desk about it and was told it must be my computer = my problem. After a tech friend did some digging, it turns out the routers the hotel uses for 'The Cloud' internet are not compatible with computers running Vista or XP. I ended up having to pay to use a local BT connection for the duration of my stay, and staff seemed indifferent.

The hallways and outdoor entrances have hotel card slots, but every door I encountered was unlocked, even in the very early morning hours. They were only locked on the third day of my stay, so inconsistent safety is a concern. Intermittent toilet flushing was an annoying feature by day two.

The second day I returned to my room I found my window ajar and my drapes opened despite having a do-not-disturb tag on my door. The temperature for the shower was great at first, but a few minutes in it switched to scalding-hot-burn-off-your-skin temperature, and this lasted about five minutes. You get used to hiding in the shower corner until it returns to normal, but it was definitely an annoyance.

The second and third night included a lot of noise by hotel guests and patrons of the pub next door, so sleep was intermittent. Despite being told the front desk was staffed 24/7, several times I went down only to find a placard on the counter directing guests to a manager in the pub. This turned out to be a huge headache because the pub is so loud and so packed every single night, it takes more than 20 minutes to get anyone's attention at the bar.

While there is no dedicated room service, I was told I could order from the pub and eat in my room. I did this one night, but it was a mess. I ordered a drink and the pasta, and it was ready in 10 minutes. But I was handed a regular pub plate as if I was eating in, the utensils, my drink, and other items. How was I supposed to carry all of this up to my room 4 floors away? I asked for a carry-out box to make things easier, and they said they had one. After waiting another 10+ minutes for them to slide a bowl of pasta into a container (even the bartender couldn't figure out what was taking so long), I took the food and drink back to my room. By the time I sat down to eat the pasta, it was cold. This was a waste of time and money, and eating in the pub would have been difficult as it was packed and extremely loud.

Every night there are smokers crowded around the entrance to the pub and standing at the side hotel entrance blocking it. You have to ask them to move and navigate through the smoke to get in and out of the hotel. This was the same every night, and the weekend nights were even worse.

I moved to room 205 for the last night of my stay. It was small but suitable and contained the same amenities as the last room and a single bed. This was on a Saturday night, and the noise was positively dreadful on this lower floor. Despite the noise I was eventually able to go to sleep, but then a group of very loud (and screaming) people coming down the hallway woke me up at 2am. The noise continued, so I called the front desk; there was no answer. I walked down to the front desk, and the same placard was there instead of a person.

I went back to my room and tried to sleep again. I was awoken again at 4am by the same group of screaming and partying people, and it was getting ridiculous considering I had to be awake at 6am to get ready for work. I went downstairs again only to find no one at the front desk. I walked into the pub where the manager, John Opolli, was working. He came into the hotel lobby and tried to call the room where the noise was coming from (room 204), but there was no answer. Just as he hung up the group came down the stairs to the lobby screaming and yelling. Opolli yelled at them to quiet down and threatened to evict them if they kept it up. I went back to the room to salvage the two hours I had left, but sleep wasn't possible by this point.

I packed my things and went to the front desk to check out before 7am. The receptionist said my account was noted for either a free breakfast or £20 pounds off because of the trouble I had the night before. I did not have time to stay for breakfast so opted for the credit. Then she informed me that the loud people from last night would be charged a full night's stay for their disturbance. Considering a night's charge runs between £45 and £65 and the hotel offered me a £20 credit, they were actually making a profit from my misfortune of a sleepless night!

The hotel is in such an excellent location that it is a shame it turned out to be such a bad experience.

If you like loud people, smokers blocking every entrance, tight crowds, barely-staffed front desks, and drunks stumbling on the sidewalk, this is the place for you.

If you are a business traveler or someone who values their sleep at night, avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: The only chance you have to sleep is to request the highest floor possible. Otherwise prepare for n...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MSY2Anywhere
BriarRosehotel, Receptionist at The Briar Rose Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2015
Dear MSY2Anywhere,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Please accept my deepest apology for the issues coursed during your stay with us. Hear at the Briar Rose we set ourselves the highest possible standards unfortunately, on occasions we may fall short of these desired standards.

All of your points and concerns have been noted and many of them rectified. We are very sorry to her the issues you had regarding our WIFI. Our reception team try their best to help customers with the WIFI, however we are not always able to solve all issues.

Kind Regards,

The Briar Rose Hotel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Penzance, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed for two nights in room 208. Very comfortable and clean. The big problem was noise. The room is at front of hotel and secondary glazing does not really keep out street noise at night. Nor does it muffle the lorries unloading on Saturday morning. Also, the heating system was very keen to grumble loudly. We had it switched off all the time but that made no difference. A room at back might have been better.

Room Tip: To avoid the street noise. Keep away from front.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank djlaity
Dear djlaity,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Guest feedback is very important to us and so please accept our apology for the noise disruption you encountered during your stay.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

we stayed here for one night in room 307. no complaints about the room, clean,beds comfy etc BUT the noise!!!! Yes it was sat night and yes we were in the city centre but it felt like we were actually out on the street. The secondary glazing is obviously not enough to even mask some of the racket. This went on til 2am THEN the central heating racket kicked in!!! the pipes shook and hummed,the radiators were banging, it was horrendous, this went on at regular intervals throughout the night.I did go downstairs at 4am and complained to the night manager who was very apologetic and offered to come to the room to turn off the radiator- we had already done this, he did say he would have given me another room but the hotel was full, he did also offer free breakfasts to make up for inconvenience.
I am not a moaner but have to say this is the noisiest and worse nights lack of sleep we have ever had.
I would recommend you ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you book to reduce noise.
Other than the above staff were friendly and welcoming and the place is clean.Food typical of weatherspoons.

Room Tip: as said ask for a quiet back room!!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda C
BriarRosehotel, Receptionist at The Briar Rose Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2015
Dear Linda C,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

I would like to apologise for the noise disturbance you encountered during your stay with us. Our central heating creating a load banging is not a regular issue for us, we are deeply sorry that this issue had occurred during your stay.

We do hope that these issues did not ruin your visit to Birmingham.

Kind Regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I was in room 305 for 3 nights Monday to Thursday. Yes the room was clean but that's where it ends. The bath water was warm, the shower was cold for 3 days running. The plumbing is in dire need of repair with awful clattering and banging noises throughout the night at 2am, 4am and 6am, which were impossible to sleep through. Have any of the staff ever stayed in the rooms??
The room was also noisy. The double glazing was ineffective and most nights the noise in the street was audible. Also the doors bang whenever another guest closes their door.
The only positive was that the person on reception did offer me a complimentary Wetherspoon's breakfast following my complaint. Sadly I couldn't wait to leave.
I spend more than 50% of my life in hotels and this was not a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jo P
Dear Jo P,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

I would like to apologise for the noise disturbance you encountered during your stay with us. Our plumbing creating a banging noise is not a regular issue for us, we are deeply sorry that this issue had occurred during your stay.

We do hope that these issues did not ruin your visit to Birmingham.

Kind Regards

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Booked a Saturday overnight stay for my friend's 60th birthday bash in Birmingham in January.
The check-in lady was friendly and informative. The room was clean and I was pleasantly surprised. I have been in lots of Wetherspoons pubs and they always seem a bit dingy so wasnt expecting too much but was very happy. Lovely comfy bed and pillows, clean bathroom everything perfect for the price of £55. Breakfast extra but just down flight of stairs and you are in the pub. You have to use the keycard to get into the hotel corridor so quite secure at night too. Its only a stones throw from the railway station, you cant book in until 2.00 pm but we left our cases in a secure room while we went shopping. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Plettie
Dear Plettie

Thank you for taking time out to leave us a review.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed you stay with us.

We hope to see you again soon.

The Briar Rose Hotel team
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Great friendly hotel clean very spacious room very cheap staff are brilliant good cheap food plenty of choice stayed here a few times over last few years only had one complaint the noise.! Depends which room you get i suppose but when i complained they were throwing beer barrels out at 4am they said sorry & it wasn't a regular occurrence.!
I would have & will stay here again great place in the centre of birmingham.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank pollatso
Dear pollatso,

Thank you for taking time out to leave us a review.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed you stay with us.

We hope to see you again soon.

The Briar Rose Hotel team
lancashire england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

So a Wetherspoons hotel for the first time...
What a surprise,rooms were spotless,lovely and warm and a bath and shower.The staff were fantastic and check in and out were no problem at all.Smack bang in the centre so location was excellent.Just one gripe I like a red hot bath but the water wasnt as hot as I would like.
Next time Im in Brum I wont need to look any further than the Briar Rose....Recommended!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stafford80
Dear stafford80,

Thank you for leaving us a great 5* review.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed you stay with us.

We hope to see you again in the near future.