“Very good value and position” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Briar Rose Hotel
Ranked #26 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Very good value and position”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

It seems that the Briar Rose used to be a bit grim but since it has been refurbished it is a really good hotel for the price. The rooms are big and well appointed and you cannot fault the position.

It is a bit strange having breakfast with a few old men knocking back the lager at 9.00 but the breakfast is good and cheap but not included in the room rate.

The staff were all very pleasant and helpful and everything except the soap and shower gel was in place. I would recommend bringing your own soap, shampoo etc because the dispensers provided were either empty or impossible to use.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Toller_Rant
BriarRosehotel, Receptionist at The Briar Rose Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2015
Dear Toller_Rant,

Thank you for taking time out to leave us a review.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed you stay with us.

The Briar Rose Hotel team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

I stayed here on 22 January 2010, and the rooms had just been refurbished. It was so good, I have been moved to write my first tripadvisor review to make up for some of those below.

I booked the room the day before on the Briar Rose's own website, and as a result got a bargain - a double room for about £35. I was a bit worried having read previous reviews, but my refurbished room was outstanding. Nice comfortable double bed, good flatscreen TV with freeview, decent bath and shower, and coffee making facilities in the room. I was on the third floor and there was no problem with the lift or any noise from the bar downstairs, which I think is open til 1am on weekends. I've paid double the rate to stay in other hotels in Birmingham, and they were no better than this. The staff were really friendly (possibly in a good mood as it was the weekend the bar and hotel re-opened) and the location is also really convenient for the city. If there was a slight criticism, the room was a bit too hot, but it was easy enough to open the window. There is no room service, and I didn't try the breakfast which was available in the bar downstairs, but I understand it's standard Wetherspoons fare - about £4 for a fry up. If I were being sceptical, I don't know how long the rooms will stay this nice - I was really lucky that I was staying there immediately after it re-opened. But I can't criticise a hotel for what might happen in the future, so top marks from me.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank manfromthemeadow
Dear manfromthemeadow,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review.

Guest feedback is very important to us and its so lovely to read some of the things you have wrote.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Many thanks

The Briar Rose Hotel team.
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

My wife and I recently stayed for one night at this hotel. Like other people we were a bit worried about the negative reviews but as it was only 1 night and we got a very cheap deal we didnt think twice. Well when we got there we found it very easy and access to the hotel is seperate to the bar although you can get access to the hotel through a door inside the bar area. The lift was fully working although the speaker did make some annoying noises. Well the room was far better than we expected, very clean and modern with a beautiful chair in the corner and 32" Samsung plasma on the wall. The shower worked ok although not very powerful however a friend staying on the floor below said his was very powerful so it may depend on what room you end up in. The toilet needed a bit of 'chain milking' to flush properly but didnt cause any problems. The bed was very comfortable, view from the window wasnt much to look at, just the buildings behind. Overall we had a great stay and Briar Rose would be the only place we would book when we come back to Birmingham.

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear poetsofthefall,

Thank you for leaving us a great 5* review.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed you stay with us.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

The Briar Rose Hotel team
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2009

I stayed at the Briar Rose for one night, and would say that on the whole it was good, but had some problems.

My mum had reserved a twin room for the two of us months ago, and when we arrived to check in at 6.15pm we were told that the room had been refurbished and was now a double, and they had no other rooms available. We were a bit disappointed that they had no system in place whereby they could have notified us of this earlier, but as we didn’t fancy trailing round Birmingham after a very long day to see if anywhere else had a room available, we had to make do.

The room itself was nicely decorated and clean, although we didn’t have any coffee so I had to find the phone (which was in the corridor, bizarrely) and ring reception to ask for some. There didn’t seem to be any great rush to get this up to us, but when it did come there was plenty. The only other problem we encountered was a lot of noise in the corridor around 1am, which went on for about an hour. Although the hotel isn’t entirely to blame for this, one of the people who was either talking extremely loudly or shouting sounded to be a member of staff.

Overall, apart from not getting the room we reserved and other issues, I would say this is decent budget accommodation. However, after arriving home and checking the rates of other hotels nearby, I would be more inclined to take my custom elsewhere in future.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
BriarRosehotel, Receptionist at The Briar Rose Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2015
Dear babypink83

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Please accept our apologies for the issues you have raised in your review. We are deeply sorry that you were not notified regarding the change to your room type.

Our Receptionist team try very hard to insure all customer requirements and requests are met, however, due to other issues that may require immediate attention, there can be a slight delay for other guests.

we hope that these issues you encountered did not ruin your visit to Birmingham and we hope to see you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

The Briar Rose Hotel Team.