“Left and went somewhere else”

Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre
Ranked #59 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Left and went somewhere else”
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I was in Birmingham on business and the company I was doing work for booked it for me based on reviews and web photos. This 'hostel' did not live up to its advertisements. It is a bit of worry when you have to swipe your room card to get into the lift for your safety (Why? What goes on there)?

The MDF 'makeshift' room was very noisy and there wasn't even any tea making facilities in the room (surely this is standard wherever you stay). The carpets and walls were dirty and the shower and toilet were similar to what you would see in an old caravan. The towel left on the bed was also stained.

I asked to be moved to another room because of the noise and this was just as bad. The plug was nowhere near the mirror or the bed so you could neither dry your hair properly or use a computer whilst lying on the bed. You had to sit on a childs mdf block (this was supposed to be a chair). No wardrobe just a long hook!

Breakfast looked like it would be served in a room equivalent to a truckers cafe and you had to pay to park.

In the end I told reception I wasn't staying and to please refund the money to the company. They were more than happy to do this and judging by their response I suspect I am not the only person to have left.

I rather suspect that backpackers and youngsters going to concerts would use this place, in which case I think it should sign up to the YHA and stop kidding people it is a hotel.

Room Tip: If you think the price is too good to be true...... it is!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pauline B
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience staying with us at the hotel. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2012

This was a good value for a budget hotel. The decor in the room was plain but was pleasant and relaxing. The hotel was clean and the staff were very pleasant. Although it is a big hotel it was quiet at night and I slept very well. Breakfast was enjoyable

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ysgoldm
Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2012

great place to stay, near to the gay quarter and all the clubs and bars. good price for a comfortable nights sleep. near to bullring shopping centre and all the shops you could want. comfortable and clean rooms , showers great and staff very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank gazzyb9
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

The Ibis offered compact but comfortable accommodation. A large double bed. An excellent shower. The accommodationhad all recently been refurbished to a high standard. they provide an 'eat as much as you like' breakfast buffet at £4.50 pet person. Overnight secure packing is available. the hotel provides a high standard of security.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Hdcamus
My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel.
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We have stayed here a few times.Very well priced hotel in easy reach of many Birmingham attractions. Staff are very friendly,helpful and welcoming and we won't hesitate to book here again.Added Bonus is the car park at only £4

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank andrewseiandkh
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
So glad you had an enjoyable time at the hotel! We very much appreciate the feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2012

The room was a good size for the £27 we paid for the one night. The bed was comfy and I was able to get another pillow. However, the temperature of the room was ridiculous. There was a thermostat but it didn't appear to be working as we woke up at 4am in horrible airless heat. I had to open the window to the loud road below us to cool the room down. As soon as we shut the window again, the room became unbearable.
To add to the terrible nights sleep, the fire alarms went off at 6:30am... Now I don't think I can really complain about the fire alarms going off, as I'm glad they're working, but it didn't help the uncomfortable sleep I had.
I'd recommend paying a little bit more and getting a better nights sleep!

Room Tip: Don't get a room overlooking the main road!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lilwelshyrs
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
We at the hotel very much appreciate all your thoughts. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and having noted all your comments regarding the heating in the room, I've passed on the information to my maintenance team to investigate.

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels