“You get what you pay for”

Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre
Ranked #57 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Previously stayed here when it was the ETAP. Booked in for two nights as nowhere else avaialble at budget price close to New Street. Hotel seemed very busy. The staff seemed better than last time, however the two lifts didn't work when I was there meaning that guests had to carry their luggage up and down the stairs. Not good. My room was very clean but there was old staining on the emulsioned walls which wasn't very nice. My room felt very cold despite my efforts to warm it with the heating/blower unit. The window seals seem poor in this hotel letting in the cold and noise from outside. I found the plumbing quite noisy and gurgley. There was an intermittent buzzing from plant or electrical equipment somewhere outside also. There seemed to be some sort of WiFi internet service available that my phone could connect to but it didn't seem to work. The TV had a good range of channels but had some sort of auto commentary feature useful for blind/partially sighted people but which I could'nt turn off and so was annoying. On the second night the people in the room next door crashed in at about 2:30 AM and were very noisy till about 5 culminating in people running up and down the corridor singing loudly and banging on doors wanting to be let in. Despite the 'Do Not Disturb' sign I had housekeeping hoovering right outside my door at 9, then they were back again at 10 hammering on doors to see if guests were still in the rooms. Guess you get what you pay for, but could be better I think.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Ian M
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at the hotel appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the points you have raised.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in a twin room with my daughter. Yes, there are no tea making facilities but I knew that prior to booking because I had done my research here on TA!!! I agree there are small things like a few dirty marks on walls and the plug points are probably only suitable for charging your phone because of their location. I am surpised nobody mentioned the beds though - they are basically metal shelves fitted into the wall with a mattress put on top. I have only seen these in young offenders institutes - but they were comfortable nonetheless. I noticed the lifts were broken but as I was on the ground floor this did not affect me.

When you look at the price and area it is in, it is quite clear who this hotel caters for. That is, people like me who want a clean/safe/convenient/inexpensive place to lay their heads at night. I actually liked that you had to use your keycard to get to your own corridor where your room is, it added greatly to my feeling of security. There was a good tv with a lot of channels, you got a bar of soap and a towel (other budget hotels "sell" this stuff in a brown paper bag), the shower was a good size, toilet not great - walls not tiled etc. Not a deal breaker in my opinion. Sink was in the room as opposed to in a bathroom area.

The staff were lovely. I had lots of questions and got helpful responses. It's in a great location where you are a very short walk away from the main shopping/drinking/eating. There is a cafe type area where you can get cereal and toast/crossants etc for your breakfast for about £5. This was all in my opinion really good value for money -or £4 for a sandwich/crisps/drink/fruit....

Would I stay there again? without question!! Would I recommend it to my mum and dad? Perhaps not!

Room Tip: One side faces a very busy road. the other side is much quiter. Got cases to carry, ask for a gro...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank suzieannab
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Good location, in Birmingham's China Town district, everything is a close walk away. We stayed for one night to visit the Christmas markets and it was fine for that one night. Decent enough no frills hotel, clean and modern. Parking spaces are somewhat limited however, and lots were taken up by vans which made the small carpark difficult to manouver! No extras either (no kettle, no shampoo/shower gel, no hairdryer). All in all, good clean basic half way point :-)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
staffordshire
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Could write a novel on the bad points of this Hotel - No lift, noisy, but the best advice i can give is JUST DONT !!! find another hotel there is plenty in the area. Booked this via a late room site and wont be doing that again .

Room Tip: aviod all rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank loanstar59
I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at the hotel appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issue with the lift. Guest safety is paramount to us and therefore, unfortunately, due to the lifts being unsafe for use, the company that supply our lifts felt it was necessary to put them out of service until new parts arrived.

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I was in Birmingham on business and the company I was doing work for booked it for me based on reviews and web photos. This 'hostel' did not live up to its advertisements. It is a bit of worry when you have to swipe your room card to get into the lift for your safety (Why? What goes on there)?

The MDF 'makeshift' room was very noisy and there wasn't even any tea making facilities in the room (surely this is standard wherever you stay). The carpets and walls were dirty and the shower and toilet were similar to what you would see in an old caravan. The towel left on the bed was also stained.

I asked to be moved to another room because of the noise and this was just as bad. The plug was nowhere near the mirror or the bed so you could neither dry your hair properly or use a computer whilst lying on the bed. You had to sit on a childs mdf block (this was supposed to be a chair). No wardrobe just a long hook!

Breakfast looked like it would be served in a room equivalent to a truckers cafe and you had to pay to park.

In the end I told reception I wasn't staying and to please refund the money to the company. They were more than happy to do this and judging by their response I suspect I am not the only person to have left.

I rather suspect that backpackers and youngsters going to concerts would use this place, in which case I think it should sign up to the YHA and stop kidding people it is a hotel.

Room Tip: If you think the price is too good to be true...... it is!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pauline B
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience staying with us at the hotel. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously.
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2012

This was a good value for a budget hotel. The decor in the room was plain but was pleasant and relaxing. The hotel was clean and the staff were very pleasant. Although it is a big hotel it was quiet at night and I slept very well. Breakfast was enjoyable

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ysgoldm
Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.