“All budget hotels should be this good”

Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre
Ranked #59 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Barmouth, United Kingdom
“All budget hotels should be this good”
Reviewed 15 December 2012

I've stayed at this hotel three times so I reckon my comments are going to be valid. Every time I arrive I get a friendly, welcoming greeting from the staff. On my second visit the staff recognised as having been there before me and greeted me, and of course same third time.
It seems to be a young crowd that uses the hotel and I know friends who use it rather than drive home after a night in the Village which is just across the road. I thought therefore that it might get a bit raucous late evenings--and there are security staff around from Thursday nights on--- but no hassle no problems and less noise than in most other hotels.
Breakfast is basic, toast, croisants, cereal and some fruit but the coffee is the best machine made coffee I have had -- if you want cooked there are dozens of restaurants within 5 mins walk.
Location is brilliant so close to China town, Hippodrome, Alexandra theatre, cinemas and the gay village, clubs, bars etc.
Rooms are smaller than a lot of places but for the price great value-- spotlessly clean, decent quality towels. I notice another review complained about noise and draught from the window-- I discovered that there are two settings on the window catch--push the lever down and you get no draught or noise.
The bed is firm and yes the mattresses are thin I'm lucky I like a firm bed but I guess it wont suit everyone.
I stayed here while on a series of short courses and recommended it to others who were staying at travelodge ( similar price band)-- they moved and were pleased with the difference.The college will now include it on their suggested hotels list.

Room Tip: If you use the window catches properly all rooms are quiet, if you want the vent open ask for a room...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
leicester
Reviewed 14 December 2012 via mobile

Car park is first come first serve.. charge £4. Room basic but apauling quality. Noise and draft from window.. uncomfortable bed. Just a thin mattress on wooden board. Even though is cheap and service is average, would rather pay double for half decent nightsleep.

• Stayed December 2012
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience staying with us at the hotel. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously.

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2012

The location of this hotel is good, close to the centre, and perfect if you just want the basics for a night out. Don't expect to get any sleep though. There was so much noise through out the night - drunk people running up and down the corridor and people trying to get into my room on numerous occasions which woke me each time. As there is no phone in the room to contact reception I just had to put up with it as I was staying alone and felt intimidated approaching the people on my own.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us . I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We are looking into the matter addressed to ensure this does not happen in the future.
Cyprus
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I am staying at this hotel right now, and despite the assurances of the manager that they have looked into the matter, my room continues to be colder than an igloo. Furthermore, the elevator is out of order for at least five days now. Perhaps they need us to exercise on the stairs so that we heat up our bodies.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back side of the hotel... the noise from the road is unbearable.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank GentIeman
I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issue.