“Small but just what you need!”

Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre
Ranked #58 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amlwch, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Ideally located for my needs - I was going to a gig at the o2 academy which was next door, hotel was your normal chain hotel in that it had everything but no real character, clean and tidy with free wifi and a fair price at £45 plus a fiver for the car park which was not the best car park, very tight spaces and full of selfishly parked cars across 2 bays to protect their precious cars - can't blame them as the spaces were tiny but hey it's city centre ! Staff on arrival were dealing with some guy that was haggling for a cheap room (abusively) but took care of me and returned to their nightmare customer, hotel was busy and I would imagine on a weekend it could be rowdy, on my return I was challenged by security who insisted on seeing my key and checking my name before letting me into the lift - as I said a fair hotel and the minor gripes are thos associated with being a budget city centre hotel, I would stay again but only for the location, I'm a bit of a bargain hunter and often find more facilities for the price or drop my standards and head for some of the cheaper places on Hagley road for much less money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Michal K, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully.
Kind regards, Michal Kuc | General Manager
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed two nights, very helpful staff on the reception desk. Room, lift, peaceful - all fine. Breakfast also fine. Lots of nice dawgs around because Crufts Dogshow was on - that was nice.
Only downside - I was on my own, and I did not like having to walk through an underpass to get into the city centre - ok in daylight but no-no at night, so that was the location rather than the hotel.
Would go back - good value and perfectly ok.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the ibis budget, Birmingham Centre. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Kind regards, Michal Kuc | General Manager
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed in a triple room (room 412) and we were initially pleased with the general cleanliness, great value for money and friendly staff. However, on return to the hotel after our night out, we slept no longer than an hour due to large groups of drunk people screaming and running up and down the corridors and slamming doors. I went out twice to ask them to stop and was met by naked men who took for notice. The security guard came up but it continued until around 6am! The hotel kindly gave us a refund and I can see their point that large groups are hard to manage but it is still unacceptable. It felt more like my old halls at uni than a hotel and if they have these issues with large groups of young people then the hotels needs more staff at night patrolling the corridors. Just because it is a budget hotel, you should not have to put up with stupid, rude and inappropriate behaviour that completly stops you sleeping. The hotel needs to do more to ensure that those groups don't 'run' the hotel at the weekends. I wouldn't recommend this hotel at the weekends if you want quality sleep!

• Stayed March 2014
Michal K, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Lincoln
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Clean. Nice staff. The night man wasn't very nice, he didn't let me friend up to the room even though the name had been given in! Maids walked into out room 3 times!!! Check out wasn't until 12 and they came in at half 10, 11.15 and 11.45! So annoying!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ILoveToTravel07
Michal K, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Brighton, UK
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night when I went to see Siôn Russell Jones's gig at The Institute in Birmingham.

I've been to an Ibis Budget hotel before so I knew what to expect, and I wasn't disappointed. The hotel is a modern property, with a very welcoming reception which leads to an open plan breakfast/refreshments area.

The room was exactly what I expected - comfortable, very clean and equipped with TV, towels and free wifi. When I'd enquired about the wifi on the phone the person I'd spoken to had warned me that the signal might not be very strong in the bedrooms (the hotel's own page says that wifi is only avaialble in common areas). However, I didn't find that being the case at all, and my room's wifi connection was very good and fast.

My only bugbear with Ibis Budget rooms is that they only provide a small bar of soap. I don't know how much more it would cost to provide a shower gel dispenser in the shower cubicle, the way most (but not all, unfortunately) Ibis hotels do. It's not very nice nor hygienic if you're sharing a room. Luckily I wasn't.

I could have had a good night's sleep but unfortunately, at about 4/5 in the morning other guests started to get back from their nights out and slamming doors, yelling in the corridors etc. I know that there is not much the hotel can do about it, but that's the kind of guests you'll encounter at an Ibis Budget: young and out to party. So you have been warned.

The location was ok during the day - I walked into Birmingham city centre with no difficulty. However, it's not an area I would feel safe to walk back to at night, and I got a taxi back after the concert I'd been to. While I was paying and talking to the driver, a very dodgy looking individual (probably a drug addict) tried to sell the driver some (probably stolen) goods. When the driver said no, the man tried to sell the to me. The cab driver then said "I don't think she's interested, either" - which I found quite amusing. I didn't feel unsafe as the hotel's main door was just steps away, but still, bear in mind that it's not the most pleasant side of town.

Breakfast was very good and great value for the price - you could barely get a coffee and a pastry at one of the usual national coffee chains for that money. Don't expect a gourmet cooked breakfast but there were pleanty of options, both savoury and sweet, and the usual standard canned fruit, yoghurt and cereal.

All in all, I'd recommend this hotel, because it offers great value for money and above all, free wifi!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank paperopoli
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

When we got at the hotel wasn't even near the town centre with the clubs it was too far away
It was 3 of us sharing a room , was like a box , the shower was pretty much next to the bed with a door which didn't even lock , the toilet was with no lock , the beds were uncomfortable , there was no tea or coffee to make not even a kettle to buy some to make it , there was just 2 towels for 3 ppl , dirty nappy left on the window seal , sockets shud of been put by the mirrors not by the window
Overall was really crap I wudnt suggest you want to stay here unless you live in a bush ;)

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Hellokitty1820
Michal K, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter.

Please feel free to contact me on 0121 6227575 or H5678-gm@accor.com to discuss this further.

Michal Kuc | General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels