“Don't stay here”

Nitenite Birmingham
Ranked #72 of 119 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 30 August 2011

When you arrive at this hotel it looks really nice from the outside. The rooms are the size of shoe box there are no windows in any of the rooms so feels aclostiphobic and when i say there are no windows that is all rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martnic
Write a ReviewReviews (1,146)

Reviewed 27 August 2011

Well it was basically a quick deal my boyfriend got on-line. The room was pleasant enough it had everything a hotel room should have kettle etc. But the room was so small, the length of it was as long as a bed, there were no windows and it was awfully hot, the shower was a wet room so if i had a shower then needed to use the toilet the floor was very wet and it was rather impractical. The receptionist was very polite and the breakfast was adequate for what we paid for it.

Room Tip: Book early and you should get a cheap deal
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Georgina_M_Brown
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Clean, compact and cheap as long as you can cope with no windows. Used to have wide choice of TV and movies and free bottled water, both of which appear to have been withdrawn. TV limited to terrestial channels and water now in "pay for" vending machine. Shame to see the slip in standards, but it all other respects it represents good value - esp on prepaid Sunday night rate of £29.95

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank kahjm
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I love this hotel, The rooms are very small but well designed and very modern. Perfect if you're in Birmingham for a weekend.
Its also very easily accessible from the airport by public transport. And within walking distance of all the bars restaurants and NIA.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank I3ishop
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We had a lot of fun staying there for one night. The room are really cool! There is a lot of engineering in place to make you feel comfortable in this tiny little room. I would recommend the experience for a night or two but not more. We had trouble cooling the room. We were 2 adults with two laptop runnning and the AC was not powerfull enough to cool the room.

We didn't hear any noise from adjacet rooms.

Room Tip: I would recomment to take a short shower and not too hot. Otherwise your room will get hot and humid...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yanbou
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I would like to start this review by qualifying that my partner and I are both 30 yrs old. We've been travelling for over 4 months now staying in all kinds of accomodation across Thailand, Europe and the UK. We're pretty tolerant and aren't too fussy or precious...

The staff were...friendly I suppose..but they all appeared to be quite young and just lacked any real kind of enthusiasm and professionalism and also were quite vague about their knowledge of the area and how to get around?!
When we arrived back to the hotel on one of the nights of our stay there was a group of boys hanging out in the reception area. They seemed to be familiar with one of the reception staff and I'm sure they weren't hotel guests.

The room was clean, the shower had good pressure. The overall size of the room ( we were prepared for it though ) was extremely small. This wasn't really a problem at first until the "other guests" started arriving.

The problem is that because the rooms are packed together you are sharing a small space with a number of other rooms. Unlike a standard hotel room where perhaps you might have to put up with noise from 2 or 3 rooms within close proximity at Nitenite its more like 10.
Because of the lack of soundproofing you hear EVERYTHING!! from the surrounding rooms - especially through the door. The sound of guests walking up the corridor to their rooms was very loud and distracting when trying to fall asleep.
This shouldn't have necessarily been a major problem had we had considerate, more mature hotel guests.

Alas we didn't. Both nights we had drunk, stumbling, loud, obnoxious, completely selfish teenagers and 20 somethings not only coming back to their rooms at all hours of the night and into the morning ( up to 5am ) but then laughing, crying, yelling and arguing for another hour or so in the corridors.
At no stage did we hear any staff member ask them to keep it down - even though the layout of the hotel is such that they would have HAD TO heard the goings on.

I wondered whether we were just very unlucky with our choice of time to stay but then I thought about it for a little bit. Broad Street ( one of the main party / bar / nightclub areas of central Birmingham ) is a mere 5 min stroll away and the price of the rooms are pretty inexpensive.

Nitenite is a youth hostel ( and not a good one ) pretending to be something cool and unique. My partner and I would have got more sleep lying on a park bench somewhere.

DONT go here if you want a good nights sleep.

The hotel looks great but feels like a poorly run youth hostel

T

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TroyboyKylieGirl
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I have just returned from staying at nite nite for two nights (Fri/Sat) with a friend. Let's start with the positives. As many reviews stay the staff are extremely friendly and welcoming. Rates are really reasonable and the room, whilst small, was comfortable and very clean. Location is great with the mailbox just round the corner and train stations within easy walking distance.

Unfortunately the list of negatives is slightly longer. Key cards to the rooms are very temperamental and I wasn't the only guest having to make a trip to reception to get my card reset. Friday night was fine but Saturday was horrific. The hotel seemed to turn into a pyjama party for kids aged around 17/18 who spent from circa 2.30am onwards running havoc around the hotel with no regard to any other guests staying. Both my friend and I were both disturbed with kids racing around corridors and partying in their rooms. This went on to circa 7.30am so little sleep was had. In the morning I was not surprised to wake up to find police in the hotel taking statements - not sure what the incident was. There is no security in the hotel at night which I think is something the hotel should resolve unless teenagers are their target market.

In addition, the electricity in my room broke when I returned to the hotel after dinner on the Sat evening. Whilst another room was found for me, I did not receive an apology for any inconvenience or assistance in moving to another room. A thanks to the guy who owns the bar next door for lending me his breakfast trolley to transfer my belongings to my new room!

All in all I would not stay here at the weekend again. Its probably fine during the week but I would avoid at the weekend - unless you fancy joining in the pyjama party.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends