“Great location, Small rooms, Good value”

Nitenite Birmingham
Ranked #66 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed here for just one Saturday night after visiting the Christmas Markets.
Location is excellent, just 5 minutes walk to the top of the markets near the the Town Hall, and similarly to Broad Street and a good choice of bars and restaurants.
The hotel also has a number of multi story car parks very close by, the Arena Central just 300 yards from the hotel and £13.50 for 24 hours. The spaces in this car park are very tight, be warned.
Rooms are clean and modern, with a kettle, a small 'desk' and chair (why in such a small room?), a TV, a double bed with access from just one side, and a shower room with w/c and sink.
The rooms are tiny, but fit for purpose for just an overnight stop, but don't expect room for any luggage more than just a small suitcase.
There's a small mirror, one socket and two coat hangers adjacent to the door.
As other reviews say you'll need to be a couple or a very good friend with your campanion if staying here…
Be prepared for a noisy night if you are staying here on a weekend when the Christmas markets are on, as you'll no doubt have a few late night revellers returning, and since the hotel is compact you will hear most of the late night arrivals.
When we arrived at around 1.30pm, we were told checkin was 3pm, so we left our luggage at reception, and the young lady on reception was very helpful. As we were also here for the Christmas markets, we returned back around 11.30pm, and then checked in. Unfortunately this was the bad part of our one night stay. We had booked two rooms, and we both had problems with the room card keys and had to go back to reception to get them re-coded. On return one of the keys still didn't work, so someone from reception came up with us. On opening the room we found the room occupied, luckily with just luggage!
Now the issue here for me is… I'd be quite unhappy to know someone else had almost been given access into my room! On top of this we'd booked well in advance and to then be told at 11:30pm there was no room! Well, actually in the end they did find one, a twin, with disabled access, however, all this occurring after a long day at the markets did not make for a happy ending.
In the morning we complained and were not impressed when the hotel blamed the agent we had booked through….'that the details sent were incomplete'…..apologies but I would think 2 x double rooms was quite sufficient information to reserve 2 x double rooms????

'Rant' over.

Despite the bad late night experience the hotel is a good value, and great location option for Birmingham City centre.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Nitenite Birmingham

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Just stayed at this hotel for one night and found it to be just what we needed, a warm cosy bed for the night at a very good price. The room was minute but it and the small wet room was clean and adequate. It is perfect for one or two nights if you visiting the city for a night out or shopping but I wouldn't want to stay any longer. I would also say you do need to be a couple or very very good friends!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Just returned from a lovely weekend at Birmingham Christmas market
From train station the hotel is a 10 minute walk, a 5 minute walk to the mailbox (bars and resurtants) and a 5 Mintute walk to Christmas market the location was 10 out of 10
The hotel = reception was nice and had friendly staff and quick check in
The rooms = ok they were the size of a matchbox but looking at reviews on trip advisor before we went, I expected that and all thought the fact that there was no windows or wardrobe space which didn't bother us this will not be everyone's cup of tea
The bathroom is infact a wet room and is not good to wear a pair of shoes to go to toilet after you have had a shower as the floor was still wet
There was a good sized flat screen tv on the wall, kettle in the room and 2 hangers behind the door to use for your clothes
Now the bad side! As the hotel is so compact you can here everything going on around you eg other guests running up and down corridor, slamming of doors and some drunken antics we stayed for 2 nights and the 1st night I didn't get much sleep due tithe noise but the 2nd I slept better
It doesn't bother me people having a good time as that is why they are away but bear this in mind as the hotel is compact you will hear what is going on around you
We didn't eat at the hotel but there was a small bar and snacks and they offered a light breakfast
If this is not for you there are other places around to eat
Be aware thou on a satday night tables are booked up at the mailbox we turned up to get a table for our dinner to be told at the Chinese restaurant and pizza express they have no tables available
All in all a good trip as we were all happy for the price we paid

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I was looking for a cheap no thrills over-night hotel in the city centre for the recent Bryan Ferry concert at the Birmingham Symphony Hall. After doing my research and checking reviews, Nitenite fit the bill. It's just 500 yards from Symphony Hall, and only a brief walk from New Street Station and the city centre.

I was not disappointed with the hotel itself. The staff are really charming and helpful on the 24 hour reception. They normally take a £50 security deposit, but since I had booked online and my wallet was packed away they waivered the need for a deposit. I signed a form instead and was given my room card with instructions on how to use it.. and even a map showing where my room was!

The hotel is a maze of corridors, but it's easy to find your room as they have floor numbers and room number signage on the walls. There's an elegant red carpet stairway for those who don't like lifts, and the hotel is absolutely immaculate with a very modern and yet cosy feel to it! The hotel lobby is a really nice place to sit and chill out with friends, with comfy sofas, coffee and hot drinks available at the reception, a TV and a mini library in the lobby with plenty of books to read! There's also PC's on the 1st floor, if you want to go online.

OK now to the rooms.. a lot of reviewers have commented on the small size of the rooms. Well yes they are small, but that is why the hotel is so budget priced. However, the rooms are not at all cramped or ridiculously small. There's plenty of room to walk around the bed, with a desk and chair. There's two hanging rails to hang your clothes on, and if you need more space you can hang stuff in the bathroom or on the back of the chair.

The ensuite bathroom is generously sized too for a small room, with a separate wet room shower area. The were two clean fluffy bath towels and a complimentary shower gel and soap, but no toothbrush or toothpaste, so don't forget those!

The best way to describe the room experience, is exactly as the hotel describes them, like cabins on a luxury cruise ship. The room not having any windows or natural daylight didn't bother me in the least. I think is actually a benefit because it gives you a nice relaxing private cocooned space. Plus it's not like the area is pleasant outside to look at anyway around the hotel!

Double sized beds come as standard with clean fresh linen and soft pillows. They are VERY comfortable beds. I had the best nights sleep I've had in ages in it. The TV is a large plasma one with lots of channels, including Sky. The remote control looked brand new. In fact the entire room looked immaculate like nobody had ever been in it. That's what you expect in high class hotels, attention to detail, and this one certainly is maintained to a very high standard throughout.

The room has a clever hi-tech control panel by the door which you slot your card into, and that lets you control the temperature, air conditioning, lighting etc. You can create just the right mood and ambience you want. There's even an adjustable reading lamp by the bed, which you can control from the panel. A complimentary book was in the room, all about Birmingham and the sights to see and its history. There was also plenty of coffee and tea, 2 cups and milk. Each room has its own kettle, but there's no iron or hairdryer as mentioned on the description. However, all you have to do is use the intercom to speak to reception and a hair dryer is made available should you need one. There is a free to use ironing room on each floor for guests to use if you want to freshen up your clothes before checking out. They also have laundry and dry cleaning facilities.

I stayed in the hotel on a week night and it was very quiet, no noise at all. But in the morning, I was woken early by the sound of some guests banging their doors. With the rooms so close together and so many of them, I think noise could be a problem (particularly at weekends) so you might want to ask reception to put you in a quiet area if you're a light sleeper.

Unfortunately I didn't get to check out the restaurant or sample the hotel's food, but from the pictures it looks lovely. It's also very handy having that in a budget hotel so you don't need to worry about where to eat.

All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel for someone who wants a really smart convenientally located hotel, at the best possible price. I will definitely be staying here all the time now whenever I'm in Birmingham. If you're going to Symphony Hall or the ICC, this is the hotel you want, compared to hotels charging more nearby and in less well kept condition. You definitely won't regret booking NiteNite, it's a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Some say booking an end corridor room is better if you're a light sleeper as you can hear doors...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 November 2013

ideally located just 1 minutes walk to the mailbox, and about 5-10 minutes to new street station, the central railway station for Birmingham. the room itself were clean and tidy, with reasonable price. I recommend it for short term travelers, but I think its not suitable for travelers who bring heavy luggage, as the room are very small (roughly only 2x3 meters including showers/toilet).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed here last night to meet up with some pals for the evening.

Well, It wouldn't be any good for any more than one or, at the most, two nights because there is no storage space for any clothes. But for one night it is just near enough perfect.

The room is very compact but the bed is one of the most comfortable I have slept in. I will admit that I wouldn't want to share the bed. Simply because of the way it is up against the wall. So for couples.... maybe not. But still, just for one night it's not that much of a compromise.

Never used a wetroom before but it was fabulous. Roomy and very clean and lovely poweful shower that was nice and hot almost immediately.

The reception staff were very informal but very friendly, pleasant and helpful.

And the reception / lounge area is lovely. Lots of books and games if you wanted them. Comfy chairs. Very relaxing. We were actually going to spend the evening in town but it was so busy and rowdy that we just came back to the hotel early and sat in reception with drinks and coffee chatting listening to music on our phones. Very quiet and relaxed.

I had requested ground floor in the booking and my room was just a few yards from the lounge area. Perfect.

Just two gripes. The towels in the wetroom are a wee bit on the small side. And it would have been nice to have more choice at the bar in the lounge area. Nothing except bottles of lager / cider or soft drinks. No wine or spirits. But really only mentioning that for balance.

Recommend it to anybody. Lovely.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Visited birmingham for a few days with another couple and decided to stay at the nitenite hotel as the location was great and the reviews seemed good enough considering we didn't plan on spending too much time in the hotel anyway. When we got there we were told we would have to pay £50 deposit unless we paid by card-we were nit told this at time of booking. The reception staff didnt seem very proffessional and a male member of staff stood staring at both me and my sister the whole time booking in with a smirk on his face which made us feel very uncomfortable. When we got to the room we were shocked as it's more of a pod than a room! It really was tiny! However once we got used to the size of the room it was fine. Our room was very clean, quite trendy. The bed was huge and comfy, haven't slept so well in years, maybe the lack of windows helped with that as we woke with no idea of what time of day it was! The shower was very nice but being as it was a wet room going to the loo meant getting wet feet! The room my sister and her partner were in had blood on the bed sheets and the shower door wouldnt close. The receptionist in the evening was very proffessional and informative of the best local places to visit. Overall we did enjoy our stay. We would visit again as its great value for money and the location was convienient. If you plan to shop till you drop or stay longer than a few days then perhaps a stay in a hotel with a larger room would be more appropriate as there really isnt space for anything more than a small suitcase.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple