“Unique and fun budget hotel”

Nitenite Birmingham
Ranked #66 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Hereford
“Unique and fun budget hotel”
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I think some of the other reviews complaining about the size of the room are missing the point - the rooms are meant to be tiny and compact, and the price reflects this.

We found the service to be effecient and friendly, and the rooms though small, comfortable and smart. It is true that you can only access the bed from one side, but this didn't matter to us. We really liked the huge flat screen tv right at our feet, with loads of channels and free movies!

The bathroom isn't that small, and the shower was nice. There isn't much room to change, especially if you want privacy, so I'd only recommend sharing a room with your partner, unless you aren't shy!! (Note we stayed in a double room. Maybe in a twin room there is more space/privacy.) I also wouldn't stay here for more than a couple of nights as there isn't a massive amount of space to store clothes, toiletries etc.

That said, I would definately recommend this hotel as a place to stay for a night or two - it's fun, comfortable, cheap and in a fantastic location. I'd definately stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
West Midlands
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my partner and friends for my birthday weekend whilst giving eazy access to all the nightlife and fine dining the city has to offer. I can honestly say that after just reading what somoene from america had written that the room were small had they forgotten that the rooms were budget rooms and not standard hotel rooms. We seemed to get about ok in them ideal for business people during the week or somewhere to stay whilst going out in the bimringham area the stafff were great and the pizzas and burgers in the adjoining Bistro were great very friendly staff in this place as opposed to some other hotels we have stayed in throughout the country. my final verdict is give it a try what do you need when you stay in a hotel for a night a bed, as shower and friendly people that are willing to help you out.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed 3 July 2009

June 30, 2009 my wife and I stayed in a hotel in Birmingham, England called Nitenite, this hotel was recommended by Rotary International because the International Rotary Convention was held in Birmingham. Although the staff were very helpful and nice to deal with the rooms were very small with no windows or draws and when I stood up and stretched out my arms I could touch the two walls on each side of the room. The rooms were clean but I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone who has more than one person in the group and has no luggage what so ever, toiletries would be the only thing you have room for and I would not stay more that one night and only in an emergency. For dressing I stood in the bathroom while my wife dressed in the tiny room because it was impossible to dress in the same room. And for what we paid it was a big rip off . So my recommendation is to stay clear of this hotel unless you need a room for an hour or two.

Toronto
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We were travelling with the International Rotary Convention and needed to select a hotel with close to some of the events and also give us the opportunity to visit Birmingham.
This hotel was included on a list of Hotels provided by the Rotary and I also looked it up on Expedia.
What we recieved in return was probably the worst room I have ever stayed in. I had just come from the Shearton In London and let me tell you the bathroom in the London hotel was bigger than this entire room.
It is a closet. No windows, no drawers, nothing. A complete rip off for what we paid. It is really a room for a single traveller who has no luggage. Probably better suited as a brothel.
I think prison cells are larger and better equiped.
The staff by the way are wonderful, pleasant, and helpful, dont know how they do it since I am sure every traveller who has ever stayed there complains.
The place should just be demolished and started over. They should take out 1/2 the rooms.
This hotel should have never been on a list for Rotarians to stay at and Expedia should remove it from there recommended hotels.

I advise everyone to not even consider this hotel. The staff was wonderful and I am sure they could find work at the Hyatt which is almost next door.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 23 June 2009

I booked this place for one night, last Halloween, so I could walk on over to the NIA to see the Mighty Boosh and I could not have asked for a more perfect place to crash after a very long journey through the UK. Rooms are tiny, but if you're just there to sleep and rest a little bit, you could not ask for more. Located right down the stairs from the Mailbox, you can find just about anything you might be lookin' for. Couldn't recommend this place any more highly if I wanted. And I do!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
York, North Yorkshire
Reviewed 21 June 2009

The hotel is centrally located, being 5 mins walk from Birmingham New Street station. The staff were friendly and welcoming on check in. I asked for the number of a local taxi firm, and they helpfully wrote one down for me.

I'd say this is a fancy capsule hotel. Rooms are very small. If you have a lot of luggage, you'll struggle to find a way to stow it. I didn't, so I was fine. There's free bottled water, coffee and tea. A tiny desk. My room was clean, but there was a crack in the bathroom mirror that hadn't been repaired. You don’t have windows, but have a big LCD TV screen mounted over the end of the bed that can be set to play views of the city, or used to watch TV or complimentary movies. The viewing quality wasn't great for the outside views, and the movie channel had the tendency to freeze slightly now and then, but it wasn't too bad. Still, for the price I paid, I would have wanted everything in the room to be working perfectly.

Your keycard goes into a panel on the wall that controls the lights, air conditioning, etc. You can customize the types of lighting and light levels quite a lot, which is particularly welcome considering there's no natural light. There’s free wifi. A wet room for a bathroom. The double bed was comfortable, though taller people might worry about it being long enough. And I wouldn't recommend the room to couples, because the space would feel too cramped, and there's only access on one side of the bed. The other drawback is that the doors are thin, and noise gets through. Some revellers ran down the corridor outside at 3:30 am, yelling about having a birthday and a party, and the noise came straight through the door.

I skipped breakfast, opting to sleep in (there's a late check out, by 12 noon, which is nice), so I can't comment on the food. The overall experience is not bad, but I wouldn’t want to stay there more than one or two nights in a row. It’s fine for a short visit before the novelty value wears off, but the lack of space and natural light, the dry air from the air conditioning, and the noises through the door would be a bit too much after a while.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I stayed 3 nights as business was a bit to long to be staying in such a small room with no windows (none of the rooms have windows) The novelty of having a large wide screen TV playing out scenes of Birmingham soon wore off its strange waking up and not being able to look out the window to see what the weathers doing to decide if you need to take an umbrella out with you. (particularly with English Weather)

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and only seemed only to happy to help.
The lift is a bit creepy you seem to going for ever and your only going up 1 floor and it doesnt feel like your moving. (or maybe that was just me)
Having free Wifi in all rooms is great and it was fast. Theres also 2 computers for guests use on the 1st floor landing.

Again the rooms are small so wouldnt recommend for long stays only two coat hanger which are attached to the wall for hanging clothes no other storage for clothes. Theres a small desk a stall. It rained heavily one of teh days i was there and there was nowhere to hang your wet clothes (except over the wetroom door)

The best is the nice sized wetroom with powerful shower the toilet in there did seem to be lower to the ground then most toilets so bare that in mind if you get up in the night and dont switch ya light on haha.

The room was clean you have a remote on the wall that controls all the lights air con etc which is quite cool.

I really wouldnt recommend this hotel for couples the rooms just are not big enough you can only access the bed from one side for example and you just wouldnt be comfortable
Breakfast was continental buffet, cerals juices, bread, pastries, yoghurt fruit etc Bacon Sarnies are available at an additional charge no full English ;o(

Location is great a short work to Birmingham New Street Station and the mailbox shopping centre with [plenty of bars and eateries) lots of chains that are not really my thing such as Zizzis, Pizza Express, Strada, Nandos etc.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business