“Very clean and comfortable - but a bit like the Marie Celeste”

Old Rose and Crown Hotel
Ranked #3 of 52 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Very clean and comfortable - but a bit like the Marie Celeste”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights whilst attending a course nearby, having booked online a week or so before on the strength of the good reviews and excellent rate for single occupancy. Entering the hotel was like going on board the Marie Celeste - it was spookily empty, then suddenly a lady appeared to book me in. Initially I was almost turned away as I was told that there was no booking for me! It took nearly 15 minutes before the lady realised that she hadn't recognised the booking because the e-mail address was not my name - even though the guest name stated on the form was mine. To top it all, instead of receiving an apoIogy, I was made to feel it was my fault!
In spite of the bad start, the room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. I had room 6, which overlooked the yard at the back and had an excellent night's sleep on all 3 nights, even with the window open, no doubt helped by the thick, heavy curtains. I suspect that the rooms at the front would suffer more from road noise as it is quite busy. The bathroom was small but perfectly adequate and the shower was very good. What impressed me was that the room was fully serviced everyday, with clean towels etc. - not just a "quick flick" round.
Breakfast was a little odd. The lady hadn't said where the breakfast room was and no one was around so I had to hunt for the right room. I had helped myself to cereal and long since finished before anyone appeared to take my order, and even then the service was polite but cold. The food was put in front of me, the girl disappeared and that was that. By morning 3, I knew the ropes and just got on with it, and it must be said that the cooked breakfast was lovely.
All in all, you can't fault the quality of this hotel and perhaps the minimal staffing levels are how it maintains its competitive prices, especially for single occupancy. However, I would have thought that most people choosing this kind of small hotel over an impersonal chain would expect/appreciate a cheery "good morning, the cereals and juices are over there, help yourself etc.".

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank FirstMateKent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Grantham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Having lived in Longbridge for 24 years and recently moved to Lincolnshire, I wanted to come and visit friends and family. Well I couldn't have picked a more beautiful place. I am physically disabled (needed help with my cases and breakfast in my room) and the staff were so helpful and did everything to make my stay comfortable. Room 2 is indeed a beautiful room and the views are stunning across the Lickey Golf course and gardens. I will definately be using The Old Rose and Crown when ever i need a trip down memory lane. Thank you to all the staff who made my stay possible and stress free.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Birmingham
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Simply wonderful night. My mothers 70th Birthday combined with Fish and chip supper. Staff were great, food remarkable and the service was brilliant. What more can I say except try it...you'll like it!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
worcestershire
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stopped for one night for a 40th anniversary party, they have weddings on a Saturday so they had to have it on a Friday evening/night. We had room 2, very plush and quiet, breakfast nice and pleasant location.

Room Tip: Room 2, nice, clean and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I can't believe they call them self a hotel! More or less just creapy hotel! When you are to sleep in rooms from the 50ies and shower/toilet are on the hallway.... I was just waiting to see some shadows from another world when I was there....

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank OptiCan
, Owner at Old Rose and Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
This review is not about the Old Rose and |Crown Hotel; all 11 bedrooms are fully refurbished and ensuite
Kingswinford
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Our daughter held her wedding at this venue on 3 March 2012 and we were more than happy with everything, from the sit down meal, to the helpful and friendly staff, to the clean and well equipped rooms. We all had a lovely day and it was made special by having the use of the hotel for just our family and guests only for the whole day and evening. We would recommend using the hotel for a civil ceremony anyday.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Adele C
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We absolutely loved this place. Good value for money, staff very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Bedroom was nice and clean, a very good nights rest. Will definately return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Westmead Hotel
Edgbaston
Eaton Hotel
Eaton Hotel
#14 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Old Rose and Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!