“Week stay with kids”

The Spires Serviced Apartments
London, United Kingdom
“Week stay with kids”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

After booking this apartment, I then read reviews which were pretty bad and was bracing myself for our stay. However, I we had a very pleasant experience. The flat was very warm (which was important with a crawling baby and toddler). Also, I found it to be very clean (-again, very important with a crawling baby). We were across from the Mailbox, but I wasn't bothered at all by the 'noise' people write about. And the Tesco closeby was a godsend.

We found the staff very helpful and accommodating. The cleaners weren't put off by having to clean around babies. The towels and sheets were also clean and the shower was amazing (better than my own).

The kitchen is great. Possibly the only downside was that the frying pan was very used (so a bit difficult to cook) and the knives were dull, but I'm not sure you could around that with such a high turnover of people.

Overall, if we ever have to come to Birmingham again, we'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Hebrew first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I to had the 123 room but thought it was great. And also I was there when the fire brigade turned up so I guess they need to sort that out, but that was'nt a problem had great facilities cooked for like 8 people and the bathroom was pretty clean and posh and had a great night sleep. Would defiantly stay there again and all for only 100 quid!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2011

As i pride myself on been a fair reviewer on here, i will just say.......I can only review on the apartment i was given and all fairness to Spires the other apartments may have been nice.
If you book here and get given this apartment. Ask to be moved. ( this in my case was not possible as Rhianna and the German markets were also in Birmingham)
the location is such that you will hear every person entering and exiting the building.Which means constant noise and banging. If you open your bedroom window be prepared for all the smoke from the smokers on the street to make its way in. Also you are able to hear all the noise that late night Birmingham has to offer.
My bedroom carpet had not been hoovered from previous teanant and there were mascara streaks and sequins all over.there were cobwebs in the corners of the room and the skirting boards were filthy.In to the kitchen area. there was dirty crockery that had been put back in the cupboards. One mug which appeared to have what had been hot chocolate in it.The actual lounge area had not been cleaned properley either. The red leather sofa (yes red) had coffee ring marks on the arm rests.
The locks did not work and had to have the locksmith out on two evenings.
I do have to say though that the bathroom was of a high standard and the actual towels and bedding were very clean.
Also the fire alarm was set off but no one seemed that bothered.the fire brigade turned up and had to wait for the duty manager to turn up.
My after thoughts on this place is that it only takes one bad apartment to wreck the whole reputation of the whole operation. So perhaps retire this 123 Apartment or give it a major refit.At least by doing that it would stop the wrong impression been given.

Room Tip: any room apart from the overspill room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank kimmydpink
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Excellent stay, Hannah at reception could not have been more helpfull.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Arrived out of office hours, so there is a procedure to get into the building and receive your key, although this went without a hitch. Room was cold initially but once windows closed and heating turned on, it soon warmed. We were three single people and had two bedrooms and a sofa bed in the lounge. I slept on the sofa bed, which was fine - and meant I got the state-of-the-art TV. Kitchen good and well-equipped although we didn't really use it. Bathroom nice, towels good. Ate breakfast outside but I think there is a breakfast available. Well located for The Mailbox with restaurants although mostly chains or corporate-type establishments without any personality. Other restaurants reasonably near, especially Chinatown. Shopping short walk away with a convenient Tesco Express (open 6-23) right by for self-catering supplies. Only niggle was internet did not work but with full 3G signal and unlimited data contract this wasn't a problem for me

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Leicester
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I stayed last Saturday in a group of 8. We had booked an apartment for 6 and one for 2 a long time ago. Just like a previous reviewer, our organiser had a call a few days before our trip to stay that the apartment for 6 was no longer available due to a guest staying longer. This was a real pain for our group, however we did manage to negotiate a later check out as a result. We had hoped to leave our luggage for a few hours on the Sunday before our trains but there was no sign of anyone at reception the next day.

The facilities, location, cleanliness are more than acceptable, and if you are simply looking for a place to rest your head - the spires will do the trick. However if you need a bit of service or reliability when booking a large apartment - this is not the place for you.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I booked three apartments at The Spires eight months in advance for a gathering of friends who hadn't seen each other for years and who would be travelling to Birmingham from all over the country. We wanted specific facilities and apartment sizes which is why I booked so far in advance.

However, with three days to go before our arrival date I was contacted by The Spires to say our choice of apartments (the largest ones which slept 6 people) was no longer available and instead our group would be split up into several apartments sleeping only 2 people. The reason given was that the previous guests had extended their stay and wished to remain in the bigger apartments.

If I had wanted several smaller rooms I would have booked them. In fact if I had wanted several smaller rooms I would have booked us into a hotel. The reason for reserving the larger apartments was to allow our group to enjoy the social aspect of being together - for as many of us as possible to eat together, for us to have a few drinks together and enjoy catching up with each other in the large communal areas.

On complaining to The Spires management I was told it was more or less "tough luck". They were simply not willing to honour my original booking despite my pleas and protestations. Luckily for them there were no children in our party - we could well have been at risk of children being separated from their parents......!!

As it was - as a result of my begging and pleading - they eventually gave us one larger apartment and several smaller ones......which wasn't ideal and which had a very negative impact on the social atmosphere we had been looking forward to for months.

One more thing - I'm sorry to say we were horrified at the state of the mattress on the sofa bed in the living area. Dirty and stained - I felt terrible for my friends who were forced to sleep here. Luckily for the bosses there we didn't think to make the bed up until very late at night, otherwise I would have insisted it was changed. It really was hideous.

I was desperately disappointed at the way The Spires treated our group and I'm afraid I would not recommend this accommodation to anyone.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends