“Lovely stay, no hot water” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Spires Serviced Apartments

The Spires Serviced Apartments
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay, no hot water”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a valentines treat. The location is fantastic, right on top of the mailbox complex with lots of restaurants and even a Tesco express to buy ingredients from. Also not a bad location with regards to the train station. Unfortunately we had a view of an office block instead of the pretty canals and all of the working people could see straight into our apartment.

The apartment itself is lovely, very modern, nicely laid out and fully equipped. The TV has room for improvement, we had to move the sofas forward in order to see but the sofas were nice and comfy, can't complain! The kitchen area was really nice with a dining table. We cooked our own meal and found we had everything we needed. Some of the plates were pretty grubby but that could have been a result of te dishwasher.

The bathroom was also very nice but as luck would have it, we had no hot water! By the time we noticed we thought it was too late to ring the phone number we were given and being late risers (10am is check out) we didn't have much time in the morning to get the problem fixed. Therefore a rather painful ice cold shower served.

Apart from a few grubby plates and no hot water we had a lovely stay at a good price. We paid £66.50 for a one bedroom apartment which is actually cheaper than many hotels! We really appreciated being able to cook a romantic meal together and having an apartment to ourselves. I would recommend these apartments for a one night stay or for a group but it is not the height of luxury. We were also told by the receptionist that we would get a partial refund for the broken boiler but we were fobbed off with a 25% discount on our next stay via email- I don't know who is benefitting more from this repeat business??

• Stayed February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

The apartment was great but there were areas that were just a little bit grubby for the price. The carpet in the bedroom hadn't been hoovered very well and there was an empty make-up sachet and a hairband underneath my bed. The skirting board and carpet in the lounge were dirty. Everything else was spotless though and one thing that did make a difference was that the lovely towels and bed sheets were the softest I'd had. The only thing that was missing was a baking tray for oven. It's a bit worrying that reception closes at 7pm and you are given a key code to get in. What if you forget the code? Luckily we didn't. The other thing I didn't like is that they take £250 off your credit card and then credit it back if the room is left in satisfactory condition. Usually hotels just scan your card and debit it if there are any problems. They don't actually charge you first. The receptionist was very helpful on and before arrival though. She was really lovely and allowed us to check in early and sent me a full list of DVDs to choose from so it could be ready for us, should we want to watch it. She kept in regular contact with me and answered any questions I had e.g. about parking concerns. She was very friendly on arrival. All in all we were impressed, just a few small things let this place down.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

The positives:
Good sized apartments, in a reasonably quiet location right behind The Mailbox. Concierge and security staff both helpful and friendly. Even more quiet if you request and apartment that faces onto the inner courtyard, rather than on to the street outside. We had a two bed 'deluxe' apartment, with an additional air bed in the lounge, so it comfortably slept five. I believe the benefit of the 'deluxe' is that it has two bathrooms, which as a group of girls wanting to enjoy a weekend in Birmingham to it's fullest was really useful. Parking is available at The Mailbox (although it costs £18 per day) but if you park on level 3 and walk up the service ramp at the rear you are literally smack opposite the apartments. Security was good, but make sure you put the access code to the main entrance in your bag (it's in your welcome pack) or 'out of hours entry' (evenings and sunday mornings) is difficult ;-) The apartment did come equipped with hand wash, basic kitchen cleaning things and hair dryers.

Improvements:
Although we had requested an airbed, this was not ready when we arrived. A quick conversation with concierge sorted that, but we felt this should've been ready and set up when we got there. The kitchen area was ok, but some of the crockery and cutlery was very dirty on arrival which didn't give a great impression. And although we asked for it to be sorted, two days later there was still dirty cutlery in the drawer. The dishwasher proved our saving grace and we only used items we knew we'd washed ourselves. There was also only one teaspoon... Strange! Coffee and tea should have been provided, but on waking Saturday morning we found not, so a quick trip to starbucks was in order! Although the apartments do have a decent wifi service, this isn't included in the price and isn't cheap either. The location is good, but be prepared to have £5 'taxi tokens' on hand if you want to get to Broad Street or the centre.

Overall:
A reasonable experience. We all slept well, the basics are ok, but these are not what I would class as anything more than a good weekend bolt hold. Some things can be improved, but if you do have any issues don't suffer in silence, contact concierge.

Room Tip: For a good nights sleep ask for a room facing into the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Wokingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

I recently stayed here for a week whilst I was working in Birmingham, and since it was a full week, I thought I would try an apartment for a change.

How did I find it? Well, the apartment was not huge, but far bigger than the average hotel room. It was very nice to have my own space to have dinner, do some work and watch telly in the evenins.

I used the kitchen a few times, which turned out to be far cheaper than using restaurants. The heating and hot water worked fine, and the location was good too.

There were a few downsides though; My bedroom window didn't quite shut properly, so the street noise was slightly louder than it should have been; The place was mostly clean but you didn't have to look too hard to find some dust; The bed wasn't very comfy, and was in fact two singles pushed together with a double sheet keeping them together; But perhaps my biggest gripe was that my booking was meant to include breakfast, but this was absent on 3 of my 5 mornings.

But the strange thing is, none of these things was really that important; The street outside was a quiet one, so there was very little noise; The dust was minimal and the place was serviced daily, with fresh towels which I didn't really need; I slept fine on the bed; And the breakfast wasn't much of a loss, as I went to Tesco and bought some bread and butter and made toast each morning.

So I would definitely stay here again if I was staying in town for any length of time. I really wouldn't bother paying for the breakfast though. But if it was a single night, I'd stay in a hotel, unless I had a specific need for more space.

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

Very friendly and helpful concierge :) good daily room services. Good location. Close to restaurants and city centre. 5 mins walk to Birmingham new street station. Recommended for both short and long stay.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Toufan
San Ramon, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

As a business traveler spending 2 weeks in Birmingham I was looking forward to the convenience of an apartment combined with the great City Center location. When I arrived the unit I was provided had a number of electrical and cleaniness issues (half the lights did not work, there was mold in the shower and I don't think the carpets get vacuumed or cleaned on a regular basis). The second unit I was provided had no working Wi-Fi and as a business traveler this was a big issue (I ended up contacting G5 myself to let them know about the issue and turns out there were equipment issues they did not know about). The third unit I was moved to was good. The staff on site are awesome but I get the feeling they dont get the corproate support necessary to make repairs and upgrades. I found it very hard to believe the units were only 5 years old. The furniture and beds are terrible quality and the picture tube TVs are not capable of showing the HD picture the cable provides. If anyone from The Spires corporate office reads this, please give your great B'ham staff some help and get the units in a presentable state you would be proud to share with any type of guest, business or leisure. Until they are upgraded to a acceptable standard I will not recommend them to my co-workers who travel to B'ham quite a bit.

Room Tip: Apartment 144 is a good unit and great location. THe Wi-Fi also works in there.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JFM94583
Wiltshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

Stayed overnight on business found the apartment excellent, the service very good and the value spot on! It was nice to have my own facilities, kitchen, lounge area and bedroom. For the price I paid I would of struggled to get anywhere half descent!!
Positioned just behind the Mailbox and close to Broad Street, I think that this will become one of my regular haunts.
My main advice would be to keep checking the price and get yourself a bargain.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business