“Great hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Star City
Ranked #88 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 22 September 2010

I use the Hampton regularly as I have regular meetings at fort Dunlop. This hotel is super value for money and the standards you get with them are fantastic ! Bathrooms are huge with the worlds most amazing showers with shampoo and conditioner . The bar area is okay u have a flatscreen tv and u can also dine here with basic tradition bar food at ok standard . Staff are very helpful and give excellent service . All round 7/10

• Stayed: September 2010

Reviewed 29 August 2010

Stayed here with my husband 28 August 2010. Excellent value - good service, large room, very clean, ample free toiletries, hairdryer, huge bed, great breakfast (self service) and all for the princely sum of £40.80. And its right next to Star City should you have the urge, and within a few minutes drive of the Fort. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Reviewed 28 August 2010

Immaculate rooms, beds/bedding, linens & decor. Small dog was accepted without hesitation and hotel location is excellent for Star City attractions and easy access to Birmingham centre & attractions. Comprehensive breakfast buffet included.

Reviewed 26 August 2010

The location of this hotel is not central to Birmingham City Centre but very handy for Fort Dunlop & Nechells, which was ideal for me.

I always thought this was a really good hotel when it used to be the Purple Hotel and the good news is that the only thing Hilton appear to have done is changed the sign so everything is as good as before. Rooms are decorated to a bit of a higher standard than other hotels of comparable price and the free Wi-Fi is very reliable.

As with the Purple, breakfast not the best - dried up buffet style stuff - so didn't try the evening meals

Plenty of chain restuarants at the "Star City" complex across the road but about £10 in a taxi to the city centre so location won't suit everyone.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2010

The room (£40 per night incl breakfast) is comfortable and spcaious. The Hampton model from USA is a bit in evidence in fittings. Bathroom is large and has plenty of surfaces- unusual. Lighting is good all round. The main road is right outside but not intrusive. Having a blind allows virtually all light to blocked out so it was quite hard to detect the onset of day.
Breakfast was very good, frequently topped up.
Did not eat dinner in hotel, although I think it is offered. Went to Star City, Bella Italia, amazingly badly organised and food that was overpriced, portion-controlled to an inch of it's life and at best mediocre in quality.
Hotel entrance not easy to find, but leads to secure area.
Television in room has mainly terrestrial channels. Plenty of tea/coffee in room. Shame they don't follow US example of free in-lounge coffee. Only quibble is that alarm clock is so far from the beds you need binoculars to see it -certainly not a glance job

Reviewed 4 August 2010

I have just returned from a one night stay in the Hampton by Hilton in Birmingham Star City. The hotel is located near to the Star City complex but too far from the City Centre. I booked the room as a mid week getaway (Tuesday) for £72 as I was celebrating my birthday with my fiance in Birmingham. I had planned on having 3 friends to join me for pre-drinks before heading to the acclaimed Lasan restaurant for a meal.

We arrived at the hotel to check in early, for 1pm. The hotel has 1 lift, 2 poorly equipped meeting rooms (£150 a day) an open dining and bar area, licensed to 3am. 1 Samsung 46" TV in this area that only shows Sky News. The majority of the guests in this area, appeared to be Business travellers in large groups and were very friendly and sociable.

The room, can only be described as VERY basic: The wardrobe, is an empty mdf shell which houses an ironing board & iron as well as several coat hangers. Tea & Coffee for 2 servings. On the desk; a 17" Philips LCD 4:3 TV with 10 channels: 1 to 5, 2 Kids channels, Sky Sports News, a blue screen & no remote! There is no CD or DVD player or one to request from reception, however there is a Hampton branded radio alarm clock with an auxiliary headphone input connection. There is no fridge or mini bar in the room. The room is quite spacious though with an office chair, chair and a queen size bed. The bed has to be the worst bed I have ever slept in, its just a standard sprung mattress and you can hear the coils as I found myself rolling into my partner; 4 queen pillows, a flat sheet and duvet.

There are no curtains in the room! There are only pleated net curtains to keep the flies out and they don't do very well at that too! The hotel is situated at the corner of a main roundabout and we found it hard to sleep with the bright roadside lights visible through the netting.

The bathroom is a tiny shower cubicle with toilet and sink. The toiletries are basic and not very good or on par with the other Hilton hotel chains. Towels included though.

There as a free wireless internet connection available throughout the hotel although both of my orange and vodafone blackberry handsets couldnt secure any signal in the room.

Had breakfast in the morning, served from 6am to 10am. Adequate; cheap beans, bottle cap sized hash browns and scrambled egg and quite small rashers of bacon served on dessert size plates. They had cereal, muesli, fruit and sliced bread loaf to toast, tea & coffee too.

Upon arrival of my friends, a mature couple. Brian, Assistant manager informed us that we were not allowed additional guests in the room and my friends would have to wait in the communal area nor were we allowed to drink a bottle of Chivas whisky gifted to me by my friend in the room or communal area. He went on to tell me about fire regulations not allowing hotel guests to bring in additional guests, so I assured him that they were visiting me and that they were definitely not staying the night and were going out for a meal! I asked him to produce a document or my contract for the room where it says additional guests/fire regulations in writing and he told me that he does not have to produce anything in writing which later changed to he does not have anything in writing.

I was really annoyed and ruined my evening. Thus far the hotel and facilities were definitely not worth £72 for the night. So I would not allow this rude and argumentative man to ruin my birthday and enquired to the cost of a meeting room for 2 hours and whether we could enjoy a drink together in one! He said this was fine but it would cost me £150 which is the cost for a day's hire, in a tone to suggest I could not afford it. So I handed over my debit card and joined my guests in the meeting room. The meeting room, has a whiteboard, a torn projector screen and cheap leather effect executive chairs, to make matters worse, the bin wasn't empty. I've just coughed up £150 to hire a room for 2 hours and it wasn't even clean! Brian then refused to supply any ice or 3 tall glasses, which meant I had to go back to my room to use the glasses from the bathroom. I was very hot & bothered at this point and having knocked back half the bottle between 3 of us in 2 hours. We left in our taxi to go to the restaurant.

Upon returning to the hotel at 2am, I ordered a double bells whisky with water on ice at a cost of £7.50. A pint of Stella cost me £3.50 and a small glass of house wine £5. The night shift manager, Pamela went on to apologise for Brian's action when I asked her to reopen the meeting room which I had paid for. She went on to tell me that the hotel had recently been purchased by the Hilton chain and that they had no investment into refurbishment since the acquisition other than Hilton affiliated services and branding! Prior to this the hotel was part of the Purple Chain, again no refurbishment, prior to this it was a Blueberry hotel and the furnishings and Staff have been at the hotel since its beginning.

HILTON BRANDING & PRICES WITH A 2* B&B SERVICE & FACILITIES.

Read my previous reviews and this is my first and hopefully last negative review.

Do yourself a favour, do not stay at this hotel, it is really not worth the £72 mid week rate or £65 weekend rate. The meeting rooms are £150 and poorly equipped for business users too. There are better places to stay in the city for the money and standard of service & facilities.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

Stayed at Hampton by Hilton at Birmingham on a weekend. Located near Star City. Cordial staff and Free parking. Nice rooms with Air Conditioning. Clean linen. Modern bathrooms with excellent shower. Adequate Complementary English breakfast. Overall a very good deal.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business