“Colmore Place the Place to Stay In Birmingham”
Review of Colmore Place

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Birmingham
Colmore Place
Reviewed 12 February 2009

It was our first time staying in an Apartment usually stay at Hotels in the City Centre. But after staying at Colmore we can not see any reason staying a Hotel. It was a lower rate and you get so much more.

When we checked in we were greeted by a receptionist and shown to our apartment. For the same rate as a hotel room your get so much more, Lounge area, Kitchen, Large King size Bedroom and a bathroom which looks like it has come straight out of Harrods. All the rooms have got beautiful décor and were very very clean and Tidy; we are looking at going back next month for our anniversary.

Also being only a 5-10 minute walk from the city centre we decided to leave our car in there secure parking which was free for guests and walk into Birmingham.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Colmore Place

Reviewed 20 December 2008

I was looking forward to staying at this hotel for a geat birthday night out, with excellent location for shopping and restaurants. when we arrived at the apartments, we buzzed to be let in by reception but nobody answered...., i tried ringing the apartments reception telephone number........ no answer. After waiting for quite a while (other guests were also now waiting to be let in) the receptionist/
owner i presume let us in and asked us to go to the reception. we were left in the reception which stank of damp for a good twenty mins before the owner?! arrived again (no seats to wait in reception area no good for frail or elderly). the owner seemed to be pre occupied and was dashing in and out of reception. We then found what was causing the damp smell. the whole floor and carpet next to reception was soaking wet and sqelched when walked over. our rooms were ment to be ready from 2pm, we arrived at 3pm and was advised that our room was not ready , we had to wait 45mins while it was cleaned, in the mean time they had a power cut from a faulty switch in one of the rooms which set off the fire alarms, this delayed our room for another 15mins while the staff ran around like headless chickens not knowing how to reset the alarms. we after a while managed to get to our rooms, where the man left with our key to our room, we had to wait another 20 mins for him to come up to the room to give me the key or else we would be locked out of the room.

The sheets were clean in the room, but the sofa was badly stained and had not been attempted to be cleaned, the cooker didnt work the televison had no signal. The pent house room we had, had obviously been used for party's but without ever having a good clean after these you can imagine that everything was tired, battered and abused. The only good thing about the room was the excellent balcony.

It made me so upset arriving at colmore place that it nearly brought me to tears on my birthday - and naerly asked for a refund, but i was so looking forward to my birthday i refused to let it ruin the rest of the day/night i had left. please do not stay here as the pictures do not show the bad state the rooms are left in.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2008

PLEASE FIND BELOW MY LETTER OF COMPLAINT AGAINST COLMORE PLACE, WHICH HAS BEEN INGORED!

I HAVE REMOVED THE BOOKING COMPANY DETAILS, AS THEY HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC, AND THIS IS BY NO MEANS A REFLECTION OF THEM.
....................................................................................................................
Dear Sir or Madam,

I write following a stay at one of your apartments that was booked through an internet company called ‘BLANK’. I stayed in apartment ‘16’ for one night only, for the night of the 8th of November 2008 as a surprise for my wife’s birthday. This letter is a letter of complaint following the standard of the apartment, and to highlight the differences between what was advertised and indeed what was factual. A copy of this letter will be forwarded to BLANK so that they can make the necessary adjustments to the web advertisement.

We had booked the exclusive apartment through the company at a cost of £75. For this value it was advertised that we would have the following;

“In addition to the listed facilities this apartment has a king-size bed, a dining and a study area and a TV with freeview. Room Facilities: Shower, Bath, TV, Telephone, Air Conditioning, Bathroom Amenities, Toilet, Bathroom, Heating, Satellite TV, Tea/Coffee Maker, Wake Up Service/Alarm Clock, Iron, Refrigerator, Ironing Facilities, Seating Area, DVD Player, Microwave, Kitchen. Both secure 24-hour parking and a 24-hour reception desk are available.”

I wish to address some of the points above, but first wish to start with my main points of complaint. In total I managed 3 hours sleep on the night in question, due to the particularly noisy party that commenced approximately midnight, and ceased approximately 6am. This party was within one of the apartments, and consisted of loud music, arguing and things being dropped and smashed. Not only could I not sleep due to the noise, but I held constant concerns for my car being damaged in the apparent secure car park. Not a nice scene to set for your ‘Exclusive’ luxury apartments.

I was unhappy with the fact that we had to sleep using a pillow that did not have any pillow covers on. Hopefully we were the first as I would hate to imagine the standard of hygiene otherwise. I should have taken note earlier of the amount of hair and mess already on the bed before I got into it. This would have been a firm indication that we should not have stayed, but after a long days travel, sometimes your mind does not focus on what is taken for granted i.e. a clean bed! The apartment at first appeared aesthetically pleasing, but on a closer inspection, the apartment was grubby and becoming tatty through misuse. This was not 4* accommodation.

After an appalling nights sleep, it was nice to see that I could stand under the leaking roof in the dining area to get a shower from the rain. The reason I was drawn to the dining room was that I had to keep re-setting the boiler that controls the hot water and heating, as this constantly kept overheating and breaking down. Once the boiler finally kicked into action, I then headed over to the loose shower head contained within the broken shower screen to enjoy a two minute shower. The shower could only be two minutes long due to the fact that the shower tray would overflow if it was any longer. This little lot was enough to drive me to drink! Handy that someone had left an empty bottle of Vodka in the cupboard to assist! I gave up on trying to find the remote to the TV in the bedroom, as I could share the one from the living area which appeared to work.

I could not find the bath advertised on the web site, nor the air conditioning which would have been nice - especially as none of the windows opened. Fingers crossed that there were no fires! I could not find the satellite TV or the DVD player, so entertainment was on the low side. I should be grateful really that the neighbouring flat put on a 6 hour music concert for us to enjoy instead. A nice twist to the apartment was the 24 hour parking, which was actually only available until 11pm. If you arrived after this time, we were told that we had to park out on the street at an extra cost. Laughable!

All together a shocking stay! I would have loved to have made a complaint in person, but I was so angry as to the standard, I was concerned that I may missed some of my points raised. I write as I wish to find out what you are going to do to address this issue, and also to address the same raised points with BLANK as they appear to rate you quite high. I just hope that the next break that we have booked with them is of a better standard!

Yours Faithfully

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
30  Thank Anon2047
Reviewed 30 November 2008

We booked the Penthouse apartment at Colmore Place based upon the deal on Active Hotels website and the information provided on the hotel website, where the accommodation looked superb - noting like this in reality. On arriving at the apartment we were told to wait outside, after the man we had seen did not return we went into the reception area of the hotel, where angry guests were waiting for their rooms which were still not ready (it was just after 7pm, they had arrived in the afternoont o find one of their rooms full of runbbish). On the table were customer details, names, and addresses etc – a blatant disregard of data protection. The service that we then received was abysmal; keys were lying around, as were files, the place was dirty and smelt. After continuing to argue with the other guests I was asked for my debit card, which was pre authorised 4 times in error and then charged, with the slip with my full card number left on the desk. The receptionist had to ask us to check if our room had been cleaned, we had to ask for keys and walk over bin bags and dirty laundry to find our room. The lock was faulty and we had to ask a member of staff to get into the room, who again asked if our room had been cleaned. The apartment was vile, the sofa was stained and everything was shabby, greasy and filthy, with the bedroom stinking of marijuana – not what we expected of a 4* ‘luxury apartment’.

We decided to go back to the reception area – where we met other dissatisfied guests on the way and asked for a refund, our card details still on display along with all other data, which other guests could see. They did put the money back onto our card – as they could not deny what a state the place is.

Overall the place is shabby with awful service and nothing like any other accomdation that we have stayed at before - I strongly recommend you go elsewhere!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank pink_fluffy_mushroom
Reviewed 5 May 2008

We have stayed at Colmore Place several times. It was ideal to stay in with our 2 sons .They have their own room,can get up early and watch TV without disturbing us and its a short walk into town with good restaurants nearby. It also has free parking which is really unusual.The real issue with the place is the sort of people that seem to stay there and the fact it is getting trashed. Doors don't close properly,the decor is getting battered,DVD player didn't work,limited cooking stuff,carpet torn etc. The lovely terrace overlooking St pauls square was littered with cigarette butts and the plants had been knocked about alot.It seems that they have alot of groups staying who come back drunk and cause damage. It is a real shame as it could be great.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank joofoo
Reviewed 26 October 2007

Stayed in the Penthouse Suite (Room 15) Very clean and layout was as described on the website. A lovely blacony overlooking St Paul's Square.

All rooms were of a good size and decorated to a high standard.
Staff were helpful where they could be though they sometimes struggled with their english.
The only thing I would complain about was the hot water. You had to manually put a switch on the boiler an hour before showering. If the whole family wanted to shower we had to quickly do a quick dance under it as the hot water lasted no longer than 7mins.

Overall a great place to stay, 10 mins walk to center of Birmingham and loads of places to eat.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family