“Weekend away”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Quality of the steak was poor, food was over seasoned. We'd been looking forward to the meal and this mark may be on the low side because our expectations were for something so much more enjoyable.

1  Thank Hengate
There are newer reviews for Scottish Steak Club

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Randomly spotted this place a few months back. I'd never heard of it, took a look at the menu, saw lots of steak and decided that I needed to visit. The prices weren't cheap, but I assumed that was because they had good food, so no problem! Its location makes it the sort of place you'd miss if you didn't know it was there, and if I didn't specifically like steak so much, I could have overlooked it.

Myself and my girlfriend popped in on the way to a party on New Years Eve. I was dressed in hoodie and trainers, which some restaurants might be prissy about, but nobody showed any concern. I liked that straight away. We were given a seat by the window, looking down onto Birmingham's New Street. It's not a breath-taking view, but I was hopeful that I might get a laugh out of New Year revellers falling over. No such luck.

Staff were very pleasant and attentive. Food was brought out promptly. I had haggis for starter, which was delicious, and so full of flavour, and a sirloin steak for mains, which was perfectly cooked. Both were beautifully presented. It was all accompanied by Broken Shackles rosé, which was delicious and complimented the meal nicely.

Only two minor things. I'm not calling them 'complaints', because they're not really, they are just 'things'. Firstly, it was so quiet, we had at least five different members of staff serving us during our visit. No problem with that, except we had several staff members ask us the same things. It's not bad customer service, but you shouldn't have to say three times that you don't want dessert. Maybe one member of staff for a table and sticking with that might work better?

Secondly, I really could not taste any pepper from the peppercorn sauce.

Overall, it was an enjoyable experience, and it's very likely that I'll visit again.

1  Thank ronanfitzg
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Very nice venue but the staff were a bit lacking. Didn't have the wine we wanted from the menu and it took 1 hour for the main course to arrive. The late food was also cold.

I hate to think how late the food would have been if the place was actually busy

1  Thank Phill M
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Paid this place a visit last night for the first time - the room was light and airy and surprisingly not very busy for a Saturday night.
We were 4 in number....2 couples...and the ambience was nice and friendly.
The menu had some mouthwatering options and I opted for the Prawn Cocktail starter and Mixed Grill main. We were advised on some great wines on offer by the lovely waittress Anna whom we thought was French...but turned out to be Polish. I must admit the prawn cocktail was pretty average but my mains was delicious. My colleagues all enjoyed their meals and we had some friendly banter with the manageress Dawn. Great night out and looking forward to going again.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Beautiful steaks, very very well prepared. If you like steaks and you're in Birmingham this is the place to dine.

Fantastic waitress (Dawn, we think) who advised us re 'sides' and wine, everything was wonderful.

Go here, ignore everywhere else!