“A great location to meet 'old friends', whilst on a touring holiday !”

Scottish Steak Club
Ranked #654 of 2,376 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My wife and I had a great pre-theatre meal with our very good friends, the Arnolds.
As we were under a certain amount of time pressure, we reluctantly limited ourselves to 2 courses each.
However, all the 'main courses' and 'desserts' we chose were superb and the service throughout was of a high standard.
From our point of view, it was an added bonus that we were able to use our 'Gourmet Card' and obtain a significant discount on the total bill.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

although a great atmosphere it is a bit pricey for what it is...........the service and décor is top dollar and they cant do enough to make you fell welcome.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Quality of the steak was poor, food was over seasoned. We'd been looking forward to the meal and this mark may be on the low side because our expectations were for something so much more enjoyable.

1  Thank Hengate
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Randomly spotted this place a few months back. I'd never heard of it, took a look at the menu, saw lots of steak and decided that I needed to visit. The prices weren't cheap, but I assumed that was because they had good food, so no problem! Its location makes it the sort of place you'd miss if you didn't know it was there, and if I didn't specifically like steak so much, I could have overlooked it.

Myself and my girlfriend popped in on the way to a party on New Years Eve. I was dressed in hoodie and trainers, which some restaurants might be prissy about, but nobody showed any concern. I liked that straight away. We were given a seat by the window, looking down onto Birmingham's New Street. It's not a breath-taking view, but I was hopeful that I might get a laugh out of New Year revellers falling over. No such luck.

Staff were very pleasant and attentive. Food was brought out promptly. I had haggis for starter, which was delicious, and so full of flavour, and a sirloin steak for mains, which was perfectly cooked. Both were beautifully presented. It was all accompanied by Broken Shackles rosé, which was delicious and complimented the meal nicely.

Only two minor things. I'm not calling them 'complaints', because they're not really, they are just 'things'. Firstly, it was so quiet, we had at least five different members of staff serving us during our visit. No problem with that, except we had several staff members ask us the same things. It's not bad customer service, but you shouldn't have to say three times that you don't want dessert. Maybe one member of staff for a table and sticking with that might work better?

Secondly, I really could not taste any pepper from the peppercorn sauce.

Overall, it was an enjoyable experience, and it's very likely that I'll visit again.

1  Thank ronanfitzg
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Very nice venue but the staff were a bit lacking. Didn't have the wine we wanted from the menu and it took 1 hour for the main course to arrive. The late food was also cold.

I hate to think how late the food would have been if the place was actually busy

1  Thank Phill M