“Poor food and a a long wait for it”
Review of All Bar One

All Bar One
Ranked #236 of 2,309 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Description: All Bar One, Newhall Street, Birmingham is a stylish city bar where you can catch up with friends, unwind after work or simply find a sophisticated space to indulge in an excellent selection of food. Within easy reach of Bull Ring, Snow Hill and Birmingham New Street, All Bar One Newhall Street Birmingham is the perfect place to meet up with friends or unwind with work colleagues. Of all the bars in Birmingham, we've got the right blend of food, drink and atmosphere at any time of day.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

So my journey to discover the best venues in Birmingham for business lunches continues and took me to the All Bar One on Newhall Street. We had booked a table for eleven for lunch with the intention that we go in yearly before another big group and be out in an hour.

When I arrived we were taken to a room at the back of the bar where the echo made us sound like a group of fifty. It was hard to hear the people next to me speak, let alone anyone any further away.

The lone waitress arrived a few moments later and took a staggered drinks order that required ten minutes to take and another ten mins or so to arrive. When it did we ordered food and the wait began. There's no point beating about the bush, we had been in the restaurant for fifty minutes before any of it materialised.

When the food did finally arrive, I had ordered the burger which was too salty, a bit over cooked and quite small. The pulled pork on top of it was disgusting. A soggy mush of flavourless meat which tasted only of salt, with a careless daub on cheese on it. The chips were too small and innumerate, the coleslaw was dry and the onion rings were covered in oil. In all a quite disgusting plate of what passed for food on the day.

When we had finished it took an age for our table to be cleared, it took an age to get the bill, it took an age to get it paid.

I always like to consider the value of a meal, but at £15.60 for the burger, onion rings and a drink, this would have been poor for the quality of food and service at half the price. A really poor effort.

In short, if what you're after is an hour and a half of your life which you will never get back and for which you exchange your time and money for some of the poorest food the city centre of Birmingham has to offer, this is your place.

Should you require something better, other alternatives are available.

Every man jack of us moaned about the food and service back at the office and I think we could say that the eleven of us will leave it along time before darkening the doorstep of this place.

1  Thank Pete J

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Had a great, quick and tasty lunch here with a friend last week. It was such a huge improvement on my last visit that I thought it was deserving of a post. We'll be visiting again soon :) recommend the halloumi wrap with salad!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

It's a chain so it isn't going to be great food but actually it is fine. I dropped in today on Bank Holiday Monday for lunch and it was quiet as you would expect. It's smart and clean and the staff are friendly and efficient.

I had fish and chips, which was good, and a nice glass of white wine. The latte I had afterwards was drinkable but bland. My only query about the food is why was it served in a wire basket like you get in deep fat fryers? I guess it's a style thing but is really a triumph of style over practicality.

Still it's a decent place to eat and I imagine that it has great atmosphere on a busier day. I'll probably pop back in some time (I live only about 200 yards away). Reasonable value too.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

dropped in for lunch very clean and tidy good choice of food and drinks at all price levels vibrant lively atmosphere well worth another visit

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Great place to go with friends. Staff are great and very helpful - lots of options drinks-wise and the food is really good too! All of this is available promptly even when the place is full - which it gets quite often! There is quite a unique vibe to the place and it always makes you feel very comfortable. It's a very comfortable place to 'chill' out and enjoy the company of friends, drinking some very fine alternative alcohols!