“White Swan, Harborne”

The White Swan
Ranked #403 of 2,198 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$19 - US$51
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Edgbaston
Birmingham, United Kingdomingham, Alabama, USA
“White Swan, Harborne”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

I visited this establishment on Tuesday 30 October 2012 with a group of friends and colleagues from work as part of a leaving do for another colleague. It is an establishment we, as a group, have visited before so thought it would be the ideal place for this “get together”. The setting within the pub itself is very friendly and inviting and a suitable venue for such a gathering.

When we arrived we were greeted by the very friendly bar staff and served immediately. As we had arrived early our table was not ready and we were asked to wait until the whole group had arrived. This was acceptable to us who had arrived early as it gave us a chance for a chat and catch up.

Once we were seated in the restaurant, on a table suitable for a group, it was square so conversation was easy, with very comfortable chairs covered in a sheep skin through we began to review the menu and although the majority of the party had already got drinks a couple, who were late, did not and asked a member of staff for their order. This had to be requested two or three times before the actual drinks arrived.

The choice on the menu was very extensive and we were please to see a selection of items from the “Choice of the Day” section. The majority of us thought that these meals started at £10.95 for two courses but when the bill arrived it was actually two courses from £10.95, so be aware at this writing is very small and as mentioned this caught a lot of us out.

I was one member of the party who chose a meal from the “Choice of the Day” section, and this meal was gammon, egg and chips. I was very annoyed after ten minutes of placing my order to be approached by a Waitress who told me the kitchen had no eggs left. How can a restaurant run out of eggs??? This was especially disconcerting to other members of the party as some of them had ordered poached egg and asparagus for starter, apparently this was not affected and nor was any other meal with eggs in the ingredients.

When my meal did arrive I was very disappointed not to see a “proper” piece of gammon but rather two small pieces of what can only be described as thick ham pieces.

I was not the only one to be disappointed with their meal as one of my colleagues received completely the wrong food. Although the Waitress did apologise and admit the error was hers this shouldn’t have happened.

The last straw on this whole visit was the fact that when the bill arrived we were appalled to notice that the bread, that had been given to us by the Waitress – not asked for, was charged. We were not asked if we wanted the bread so just assumed that it was free of charge.

The other thing that really annoyed us was the gratuity tip being added - with no mention of this being on the menu. I know we have the right to refuse to pay it but it was deemed easier just to pay. I do think it should be mentioned some where on the menu that a gratuity will be added to the bill, especially if you are in a large party.

I and my colleagues generally feel that with exception of the people present the whole experience was tarnished and we do not think it is somewhere we would consider visiting again for a long time.

4 Thank Mandy066

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Family Occasion, but unable to deal with large parties”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

We booked here for my Grandmothers 80th birthday party. I'd previously been to the White swan many years ago, but it now seems that they are unable to cope with large groups. In fairness, there were 35 of us, so we were spread across two central tables but my main gripe was meals were not co-ordinated, so some family members had finished while the others hadn't started. All food was ordered at the same time, and also we noticed staff tried to charge us for a few side orders that never arrived. A few pleasant drinks after, and we were off. It's a nice venue for a few drinks, but I wouldn't recommend eating in large groups here.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank MarkLegion
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Bar/ Restaurant just outside Harborne- Lovely Ambience/Warm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

This review I am afraid is only done with the Bar in mind as I only popped in after dining somewhere else for a meal. I arrived at 21.00 on 25th October ( Wednesday). The entry point is towards the back of the venue as its situated on the corner by road just before you come into Harborne. The Venue is about 2 miles outside Birmingham City Centre.
It has a very comfy Smoking area covered with heating near entry poitn and when you enter there is a Restaurant to the right which is near the back of the Venue.
WhenI entered with my friend, it was suitably lit, warm and had a warm and inviting ambience with a log fire up towards the front at the left hand side of the bar. The Restaurant looked very inviting and tables were nicely laid and there seemed to appear a relaxing place to eat.
We proceeded into the bar, the staff were young but friendly enough. We were served in good time but the bar was quiet.
I would like to go back to the Restaurant to give a more informed review of the Venue as a whole.
Toilets were very modern and clean

UK
“Recent visit oct 2012”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

Rustic foodie pub. Seems busy. Service is just standard. No smiles. Had a rib eye steak. Service charge is already added to the bill! Limite car parking space.
My impression is that the food and resturent standards are much higher and better value for money in the noth east of england after eating out in different parts of the UK. London may have the refinement in some resturents but prices are premium.

Shropshire, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

We visited on Sunday and had the 2 course Sunday lunch, 3 had pork and 1 had beef and we felt it was good value. Food was hot and well cooked and there was a nice selection of veg.

The waitress, Victoria, was charming and friendly, she made sure we had all we wanted and even went to chase up desserts without being asked - a nice touch as many places don't do this even when you ask. Three had churros and 1 had the ice cream and cookies, the churros were well worth the wait, hot and obviously freshly cooked they were delicious. The cookie was a little hard although it tasted nice.

The place was very busy which has to be a good sign.

We all had a free glass of prosecco thanks to a voucher downloaded from the website (so check for offers before you go) and with 3 soft drinks, 1 beer and 4 coffees the total bill was under £70, good value.

The only slight criticism I have is that there was not much gravy with the meal, but with hindsight we should have asked for more as I'm sure Victoria would have found some for us.