“Pricey but good food”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Description: Malmaison Brasserie restaurant in Birmingham’s cool shopping and nightlife centre, The Mailbox, has all the sassy styling you’d expect from the Malmaison family (Hotel Group of the Year no less). The masculine styling of the dining room – black floor, dark leather banquettes and upholstery, dark dividers between tables – somehow makes the diners glow. The feeling is buzzy and happening, and why not with servers this friendly, drinks this good and food that aims ever higher. The modern European menu features a top-notch Mal Burger, and Malmaison Brasserie’s exciting Homegrown and Local menu, featuring food ‘from field to plate in no time flat’ is completely seasonal and all produced within thirty miles of the front door. Open from breakfast onwards.
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Came here for dinner and had a great time , was served by a fabulous waiter called Ben , the service was impeccable , overpriced but good

1  Thank Alexandrajenkins

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I visited malmaison however my experience from the broken air conditioning in the room to the unbearable check out process left a lot to be desired. When i was checking out I mentioned to the young lady that the room was too hot as the air con was not working and I wasn't even offered so much as an apology. Secondly the package was pre booked which was entered onto their systems when we checked in and the same young lady was going to charge us extra for our evening meal and then the spa treatment which were both in the package! To add insult to injury I was paying part card part cash. I gave her £120 for a payment that should be £109.50 and she only gave me 50p change. When I queried where the rest of my change was (at this time there was a very long que forming) she was adamant that I gave her £110. She even took the money out of the wallet that she put it in and counted it. She still insisted that I gave her £ 110 when there weren't any £10 notes in the wallet just £20's. This whole situation was extremely embarrassing as at 1st it seemed as if I was being accused of trying to get out of paying and then was practically got called liar and it took 2 separate people to point out that I gave her £ 120 and not £110. . This was extremely unacceptable customer service which was a shame as the evening meal and facilities were very good. Even got to meet Linford Christie.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Malmaison Birmingham is one of the, if not the, best place I've ever dined. The steak here really is the best I've tasted. The food in this place is amazing; perfectly cooked and served immaculately. I recently took my partner and his family to this restaurant for a birthday dinner where we were greeted by very friendly and welcoming staff who showed us to our table and catered for all of our needs. The restaurant staff even gave my partner a complimentary glass of champagne to celebrate his birthday. Every course was perfect and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We gave our compliments to the chef! Perfect venue, perfect food... perfect evening!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Went on a Friday night and opted for the deal of fixed menu for £39.90 for two courses and a bottle of wine for two people. The starters were bland and boring and the main (Lamb which was £4.00 each supplement) was average. Dessert was purchased as extra but just ice cream in a mug with melted chocolate in a separate jug to pour, again nothing special. A bottle of water was £4 and breads to start were crispy/dry. The bill came and they also add a service charge and then VAT. I have no issues with paying good money for good food but I honestly felt it wasn't anything special. The mailbox itself wasn't great either with all the works going on. All in all it was a nice evening with my other half but wouldn't rush back, not even if there was another deal on! There was also a DJ pumping out tunes by 9pm so that wasn't expected but this is to entice the youngsters to come and drink at the bar end! Not my idea of nice ambience for dinner but each to their own opinion.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Very welcoming staff. Great service and even gave us free canapés. Overall a really good experience recommend this for pre evening venue.