“Sunday Lunch - Wow!”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Description: Malmaison Brasserie restaurant in Birmingham’s cool shopping and nightlife centre, The Mailbox, has all the sassy styling you’d expect from the Malmaison family (Hotel Group of the Year no less). The masculine styling of the dining room – black floor, dark leather banquettes and upholstery, dark dividers between tables – somehow makes the diners glow. The feeling is buzzy and happening, and why not with servers this friendly, drinks this good and food that aims ever higher. The modern European menu features a top-notch Mal Burger, and Malmaison Brasserie’s exciting Homegrown and Local menu, featuring food ‘from field to plate in no time flat’ is completely seasonal and all produced within thirty miles of the front door. Open from breakfast onwards.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch - Wow!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My other half and I popped in on spec. She had seen it on the internet on the way into Birmingham and noticed it was billed as the 'Biggest Sunday Lunch In Town'. This fitted the bill nicely as I had been fasting over night and was starving so to speak. The format is slightly unusual, as there is an unlimited buffet section, plus the main meal itself plus dessert. All for £19.95 per person. We figured that we usually spend that on a three course anyway so give it a go. I didn't really expect much from the buffet but was hopeful for the main after seeing that one of the meats (we usually have beef) was a rib roast. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw the buffet section. A huge selection of cured meats (including carved to order Iberico ham) and pates, cheeses, salad and deli items, breads, smoked salmon, fresh salmon and soup of the day. All unlimited to help yourself to at any time of the meal. After we had finished with the buffet to start with, we told our waiter and he brought the main courses. Fantastic! Perfectly cooked (pink as ordered) thick slices of rib roast beef. Tasted superb. Really beefy flavour with a lovely rich gravy. Roast potatoes as normal and vegetables. Exceptional quality. I always find that a specialist roast is far nicer than a carvery offering if it's a quality joint and cooked correctly. This was awesome! We then had dessert (included in the price). 1 cheesecake and 1 sticky toffee pudding. The sticky toffee pudding was excellent. Very light yet rich. The cheesecake not so great but still nice. Good size portions though. Then, back to the buffet for a cheese course. Big selection of quality cheeses and fancy biscuits and accompaniments. Overall, the best Sunday lunch ever. On the negative side the restaurant is a little lacking in atmosphere. Clean but darkly decorated with too many dark wood panels. And beware, the drinks are expensive. Delicious but expensive. Service wise, our waiter, Kazi was extemely helpful and attentive. I will be back soon! Overall - excellent!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Spitaboo

“Pricey but good food”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Came here for dinner and had a great time , was served by a fabulous waiter called Ben , the service was impeccable , overpriced but good

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Alexandrajenkins
“Unacceptable customer service”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I visited malmaison however my experience from the broken air conditioning in the room to the unbearable check out process left a lot to be desired. When i was checking out I mentioned to the young lady that the room was too hot as the air con was not working and I wasn't even offered so much as an apology. Secondly the package was pre booked which was entered onto their systems when we checked in and the same young lady was going to charge us extra for our evening meal and then the spa treatment which were both in the package! To add insult to injury I was paying part card part cash. I gave her £120 for a payment that should be £109.50 and she only gave me 50p change. When I queried where the rest of my change was (at this time there was a very long que forming) she was adamant that I gave her £110. She even took the money out of the wallet that she put it in and counted it. She still insisted that I gave her £ 110 when there weren't any £10 notes in the wallet just £20's. This whole situation was extremely embarrassing as at 1st it seemed as if I was being accused of trying to get out of paying and then was practically got called liar and it took 2 separate people to point out that I gave her £ 120 and not £110. . This was extremely unacceptable customer service which was a shame as the evening meal and facilities were very good. Even got to meet Linford Christie.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“My favourite place to dine in Birmingham!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Malmaison Birmingham is one of the, if not the, best place I've ever dined. The steak here really is the best I've tasted. The food in this place is amazing; perfectly cooked and served immaculately. I recently took my partner and his family to this restaurant for a birthday dinner where we were greeted by very friendly and welcoming staff who showed us to our table and catered for all of our needs. The restaurant staff even gave my partner a complimentary glass of champagne to celebrate his birthday. Every course was perfect and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We gave our compliments to the chef! Perfect venue, perfect food... perfect evening!

• Visited June 2014
“Expensive and nothing special”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Went on a Friday night and opted for the deal of fixed menu for £39.90 for two courses and a bottle of wine for two people. The starters were bland and boring and the main (Lamb which was £4.00 each supplement) was average. Dessert was purchased as extra but just ice cream in a mug with melted chocolate in a separate jug to pour, again nothing special. A bottle of water was £4 and breads to start were crispy/dry. The bill came and they also add a service charge and then VAT. I have no issues with paying good money for good food but I honestly felt it wasn't anything special. The mailbox itself wasn't great either with all the works going on. All in all it was a nice evening with my other half but wouldn't rush back, not even if there was another deal on! There was also a DJ pumping out tunes by 9pm so that wasn't expected but this is to entice the youngsters to come and drink at the bar end! Not my idea of nice ambience for dinner but each to their own opinion.

• Visited June 2014