“Appalling service”

Price range: US$9 - US$17
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Edgbaston
Description: ASK Italian in Edgbaston is a place for great food and warm service. Think fresh bread made to tear and share. A glass of fine wine worth deserving of your time. Delicious main dishes prepared the traditional way. Everything we know and love about Italian food is served straight to your table. Take a look at our Edgbaston menu and, if you like what you see, book a table
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

It’s become a bit of a tradition for us to go to this Ask next door to us the night before we go on our big annual holiday as a way to start the holiday. So we’ve been in a handful of occasions over the past few years. Every time we have been before it’s been ok - nothing outstanding but acceptable enough. This time didn’t quite start our holiday in the refreshing way we planned as we were there so late due to the bad service!

When we came in we were seated and provided with menus. 20 minutes later we were still sitting there. Usually I would call someone over but the waiter was more interested in chatting to the bar staff the other side of the restaurant or the chef. Another couple actually started waving their hands wildly in the air to ask for a drinks order and nobody noticed!

Eventually we had our order taken and they had run out of two beers. The waiter then suggests the most expensive thing on the menu. We saw what you did there...

So food arrived and it was actually very nice. We may have over indulged in starters as we couldn’t decide so we had to ask for a doggy bag to take home. Then a bizarre thing happened that the waiter brought over a box and held it out to me. It became clear after a few seconds of stalemate that it wanted me to scoop up the food myself with my fork?! It was so bizarre, I was taken aback that here he was with this box and me scooping our leftovers into it! Anyway... fast forward to the bill.

Waited another 15 minutes to try to attract attention but once again it was the staff comedy club. This time they were busy LAUGHING at another customer’s hairstyle. If it was visible to me, I’m sure the poor chap knew. Once the whispers and laughter had died down it seemed our waiter remembered he was a grown up and finally we got his attention to pay.

3.5 hours later we walked out the door with a barked goodbye from giggles behind the bar, who I’m really hoping wasn’t the supervisor for the evening...

2  Thank Accadeque

Reviewed 25 June 2018

We had a wonderful evening here, we sat outside and ate a tasty meal, the staff were great, funny, helpful and such good fun.

1  Thank Karen F
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Went for a family meal on a Thursday evening
Overall service and food was very good
Would definitely return

Reviewed 4 June 2018

My wife, daughter and I popped in here for lunch on Friday. From the start we were made to feel very welcome and Andy was very good at interacting with out 5 year old.

The food was extremely nice and my daughters pizza was a very good size. My wife had the Chicken Caesar and i had the Penne Arrabiata Con Pollo. Both were amazing and it was hard to imagine dessert being any better but it was. The ice-cream boats were fantastic.

Nice clean place, great food, welcoming staff, would recommend.

1  Thank yarniedeboer
Reviewed 29 May 2018

After a busy morning filming we all trooped into the ASK restaurant feeling very hungry and ready for lunch and the smell of garlic lured us in. We all chose vegetarian dishes which were freshly cooked and delicious. The garlic bread was a pizza base but the thinnest I have ever had, just melted in my mouth. Restaurant was very quiet but I am sure at other times, and especially at weekends it must be popular with families and very busy. Efficient staff and the place was spotlessly clean. Good experience all round.

1  Thank ZandaSpain