“:-( not happy” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,201 of 2,185 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$19 - US$25
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Pakistani
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
England
“:-( not happy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

The initial impression that we had of the restaurant was what led us to choose it for our dinner.
Unfortunately service was extremely poor from the get go. It took 30 minutes for our meal to arrive to the table and that too was a disappointment.
Usually we are people who eat very spicy food but this chicken dish was unedible. It wasn't the 'nice spicy' that you enjoy eating but all you could taste was red chilli powder and a burning sensations at the back of our throat.
After speaking to the Staff our meal was replaces with the same dish but entirely different looking. Neither of the 'madras' chicken tasted of madras chicken!
The fresh pineapple juice was definitely not freshly made as it had changed into a murky yellow grey by the time it reached our table.
We were extremely tempted to leave our meal and go elsewhere to eat but decided to just eat what we could as it was late for our child and we needed to get to our hotel.
Some of the service was good however some of the waiters were too anxious to pick our plates off the table and came to ask us if they could even before we had finished our meal.
Left the restaurant extremely disappointed and found it such a waste especially after finding out what good food is available in the vicinity. The payment was quite high and completely not worth it. I'm sorry :-( would never recommend it to anyone.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Jughead101

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Whatever Happened to Customer Service?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I visited this facility this evening (Wed 30th July 2014), as a friend promised to give me a tour of the "Balti Quarter" and recommended I try this venue.

Upon entering, the decor appeared clean and well illuminated. The place had many clients as we entered around 7pm. We were "greeted" with a "Hello guys. Table for two?" and led to a table.

We ordered starters, and I wanted to try the meat samosas. As we chomped into it, we found only potato inside, and no meat to mention that was visible or identifiable! I felt a little let down and cheated. If I had wanted vegetable samosa - I would have asked for it.

When I asked for a drink, the waiter said there was an off licence next door, and I could buy a bottle of wine and bring it into the restaurant. There was nothing to indicate that the venue did not serve alcohol. (In hindsight, it is clearly a deal between the venues, as the off licence makes a pretty penny for the numerous restaurateurs who are sent their way).

Upon returning to the restaurant, I asked for wine glasses, and was given two glasses of differing designs and stature. As I was about to pour my wine, I noticed the glass was dirty, grimy and covered in marks and smudges. I asked for it to be taken away for a clean one. As the waiter took the glass away, I saw him take a napkin - hold the glass up to the light and wipe the same glass down - then hold it up to the light again. He did this a few times (he didn't see that I was observing him from the opposite side of the restaurant) - then he came back to the table.

I asked the waiter, point black - "Have you brought me a new glass?". He replied "Oh yes, sir" and walked away .This was a bald faced lie, as I had observed him with the napkin cleaning the same glass I had given him to take away

The main meals arrived, and the food was flavoursome, and in adequate proportions. At no stage were we asked if we were okay. (I had to take clean utensils from an adjacent table, as there was inadequate amounts of cutlery on the table).. At no stage were drinks offered (save a jug of water that came at the beginning).

When the hand-written bill came for £28 - I asked for an itemised bill. It was taken away - scribbled upon and returned with the total INCREASED to £29! They also applied a "service charge" for the bottle of wine I was told to go and buy myself from the off licence next door that they had told me to go and get a drink from!!! At no stage was any levy or charge mentioned.

An expensive evening proved to give very little value for money with a multitude of guile, deception and blatant dishonesty. Customer service was poor. Unless you are prepared to be lied to, misled and fleeced - I would not recommend this venue. My visit to the Balti Quarter proved to be a disappointment with this establishment.

Whatever happened to true, quality customer service?

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just horrible, waste of money.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

3 of us went for a dinner, the food, the service just horrible, had to leave most of the food un eaten, there are far nicer places to eat on soho road. Will never go here again.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank satnam b
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Horrible is an understatement!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Returned here with a group of work colleagues about a year after our previous bad experience thinking things may have improved but how wrong we were. The food tastes even worse then before and the level of service has declined even further. My advise is to keep well away as you will leave this place very disappointed.

Chubby senior and junior who are a complete joke need to pay more attention to their business rather then trying to act like wanna be Sepranos!

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Mike D
Melbourne, Australia
“Aussies couldn't get enough of this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

we have visited this restaurant 3 times in our 5 week stay in the UK - Cannot fault food, service , ambiance. My girl had never had a Balti before in her life now she talks about taking the recipe back to Aust. The blokes there are absolutely fabulous. Don't let people who cannot ever be pleased put you off . If i could fly back for a Birmingham Balti here every week I would.
I will try and get there again before i leave

• Visited April 2014