“Expensive for what it is”

Pizza Express - Harborne
Ranked #822 of 2,346 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$43 - US$43
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Harborne
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My friend and I went to Pizza Express on Sunday for a "light lunch" because we'd pigged out at a Eurovision Party the night before. We opted for salads. He chose a chicken and bacon (effectively) salad and I went for the Bosco salad which had mushroom and avocado on it. Whilst both salads were delicious, they were nearly a tenner each! For salad!! No real skill involved in putting a salad together is there? The going rate in most pubs for a salad is at least £1-£2 less than this. We didn't go for a pud (partly because of the pigging out already mentioned) but largely because the puds were also overpriced being over £5 each. Again, most places I go to puds are around £3.95-£4.95 so why do Pizza Express charge so much? It's not as if "chef" is preparing the puds to order! They're pre-made.

1  Thank Nedbrab

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Eat here regularly,food is always good.Can get a bit noisy especially if you sit towards the back and there are large groups present.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

New menu, food is okayish, but the staff were very nice and made our visit with four kids very pleasant..

Reviewed 28 March 2014

The Pizza is good here although we always have to ask for it to be cooked a little more, don't like soggy middles! As we go often, mainly Orange Wednesday, it would be nice to see some daily specials or some variation to the menu. The pasta is very short on meat. The service varies, when the Manager Emma or a great Waiter called Mike are on duty its brilliant, other times can be just about OK. Can be very noisy in the evenings. They do a great Orange Wednesday deal,

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Had a meal with two friends last night, I do wish the lighting was better in there but that's just a minor niggle. Had the bruschetta con funghi for starter, omg it's so gorgeous, just wonderful. Has the leggera pizza which has chicken on it, disappointed as it usually has rocket in the centre with balsamic vinegar on it, but this had iceberg lettuce with a different sauce on it, still, very nice but I love rocket with balsamic vinegar. The pizza also seemed smaller than usual. It was still nice though. I then had the special dessert of Apple and rhubarb crumble. Very nice. Not too big and just right in terms of crunchiness. A cappuccino followed which was nice. My friends had nice meals, one had the leggera salad with chicken which was huge and looked lovely. My other pal had the coffee and chocolate brownie, the brownie wasn't good, very dry and unpleasant. The one problem we did have was my pal asked for dissarano with just one chunk of ice. The waitress didn't listen and put lots of ice in which was small chunks and couldn't be taken out by hand, so we asked for another one and of course, they had run out so... She had a baileys. They didn't charge for it so at least that was something.
Overall a nice meal and using their current 'second meal for £2.50' voucher to discount the meal made it even better.
Would go again.