“Excellent!”

Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Went here as part of a celebration with family friends. Loved the food and the service was excellent. Like no other restaurant I have been to in the midlands.

1  Thank DrIMWalker

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I visited Franzls with my girlfriend for the first time on my birthday and I must say that even though I had heard good things, everything about surpassed what I was told.

When we arrived we were shown into the tiny cellar bar by the friendly staff and had a drink as we chose what to eat. I enjoyed a delicious Schwarzbier as I perused the menus. In the end, I went for the Käsekrainer which was a pork, beef and cheese sausage. This came with a superb potato and gherkin salad, and set me up for an excellent and relaxed dining experience. The staff knew all about the food, and I think it is a family run, so everybody is singing from the same hymn sheet. As opposed to listing all the food I had (although I can highly recommend the chicken stuffed with crabmeat in pastry), I just want say that everything about Franzls, from the homelike atmosphere, through the outstanding food and to the friendly attentive staff is outstanding and it all made me want to ensure that i visit here again very soon.

I also want to state that I love the "wein haber" (not convinced I have that correct) which is a sort of Austrian hanging decanter for your wine, which allows you to fill your glass up py pressing it against the spot, a bit like a large ornate optic for wine.

Anyway, Franzls comes highly recommended from me and I strongly advise anybody in the area to take a visit if they haven't done so already!

3  Thank Eddie J
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Four of us enjoyed an excellent meal here, and we were very happy to find that things were still as good as they were about ten years ago when we first visited this restaurant. Very helpful and friendly staff. Atmosphere and music very appropriate. All in all a very enjoyable evening spent in good company and in a lovely restaurant. We will certainly go back again in the near future.

1  Thank SIMPOP
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner came here for a three course dinner early on a Friday evening. We arrived half an hour early to check out the cellar bar, we were greeted by the friendly hostess who took us down and served us drinks.

The vibe of the place is fantastic with a real authentic Bavarian theme as it felt like we were dining in the house of an Austrian family, which is kind of the case.

We ordered our food after discussing it with the hostess who gave recommendations. After taking our seats after a nice cold pint of budvar, we were served with bread and a home made garlic butter which was a nice touch. For starters I had the black pudding sausage which isn't on he menu as they don't always have the ingredients for it. A good meal with nicely seasoned salad to go with it. My partner had the goats cheese for starters which was incredible. My mains was the chicken stuffed with crab meat in a pastry and crab and brandy sauce which was fantastic despite not being presented that well. The chicken was beautifully moist and the sauce went with it perfectly. My partner had the mushroom straganoff which again didn't look at all appealing but tasted nice despite being rich after a while.

Both desserts went down well although portions are large so I was kind of bloated by then. Both the Austrian tart and creme Brûlée (unsure on the correct names) tasted delightful.

The menu works differently to most restaurants as you pick your main and pay the price for that dish, you then pick any starter and dessert which is included in that price. In all it came to 25 a head with 3 alcohol drinks which I felt was good value.

Food in all was superb, hostess fantastic and in all was a beautifully authentic Austrian dining experience.

3  Thank DamianMOR
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I visited this restaurant on a Saturday evening with five friends. The service was excellent and we were really made to feel welcome. Unlike the atmosphere in a lot of places on a Saturday evening, they don't play loud fast paced music to make you eat quicker and there was no feeling of 'come on eat up, give us your money and be gone so we can have the table for the next people'.

I started with a home-cured gravellax and moved on to beef in apricot sauce (seems an odd combination but was one of the best beef dishes I have ever had). The beef was perfectly cooked in an excellent richly flavoured gravy. For dessert I opted for plum tart which was also excellent.

The price of the main meal includes a starter and dessert and at £35 a head with drinks we thought this was very good value.

This restaurant is so different to the chains we have become accustomed to and I will be recommending it to all my friends and family.

1  Thank Janette84