“Very good hotel”

Ranked #53 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
cwmbran
“Very good hotel”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed for the weekend with my girlfriend upgraded to executive when we arrived nice rooms big beds front of house staff very friendly, we had dinner one evening good food but one grumpy waiter all the rest excellent. Good selection of breakfast menus too. Very good hotel all in all !

• Stayed November 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Ryde
Reviewed 2 November 2012

This hotel could not be faulted from check in to check out. Slight hiccup with the starter, when I had my meal, but dealt with so well it was outstanding customer service. Star of the stay waitress Christina, what an asset she is to the hotel. I had an executive room and it was great everything you would expect from a great hotel. I stayed at a Hilton a few weeks ago and this was MUCH better all round. The only criticism when eating late a few items were off the menu. This was made up for by the eggselent breakfast. Eggs benedict!! If you are going to Birmingham I recommend this hotel and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Victoria G
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 1 November 2012

First the negatives. We had quite a large suitcase and found it very difficult to get through doors, find space for it in the room (very small floor space) and navigate around. We stayed for 2 nights and room key was disabled after 1 which meant that exceptionally annoying trek back to reception. We weren't the only guests this happened to by the way... If you have an internal facing room the view is utterly dreadful. There are internal cell windows in Siberian Prisons that have better views than this, its almost worth staying just to see it! The bathroom smelled of damp, probably because there was a massive rotting bit of skirting board, and the shower alternated betwen cold and pressurised steam (almost) there was basically no inbetween.

Would I stay here again? Definitely.

The positives. It is very very cheap, we got a package of 2 nights, breakfast both mornings and evening meal for £45 per night. The breakfast was spot on. Its quiet, even though on a busy road. Has a decent bar. Has a gym. Has a view you will remember for the rest of your life. The evening meal was SPOT ON, lovely steak, nice chips, it was all very good. AND its got Sky Sports in your room.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
leicester
Reviewed 29 October 2012

we just got bk from a wkend stay here ...wot can i say from the check in till check out i could not find a single fault and im very fussy .we paid 109 for a 2 night brk and that included bed/breakfast and a evening meal on 1 night ..the double room we had was so clean and comfy and reading some of the room reviews on here i can only assume they must be used to staying in a palace .the room bathroom was cleaned to a high standard and yes the radiator was turned off but there is a switch to turn it on ,it made the room lovely and warm ,the reception staff were so friendly and could not do enough for you, the b/fast was yummy and well the evening meal i kept questioning if it was in the deal we had because i could not believe the deal we got ..the menu was 3 course and the food was lovely and service was great ,the hotel is located 10 mins to broad street and bull ring but far enough away from rowdy pubs so ensuring a good nights sleep ..well done menzies we will deffo be returning when we visit birmingham again

Room Tip: we stayed in room 727 and never had a single noise or problem
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
N
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stayed at the Menzies Strathallan Hotel in Birmingham for one night only as I was doing the Birmingham half. I arrived and the staff were fantastic, the receptionist in particular was really welcoming and friendly. The room was lovely and on top of that very good value. The next day the same receptionist sorted me a taxi and helped me with my parking.

I booked a single room, exceptional value, nice clean room, not too small. have stayed in poky singles before and this was better then the norm. They had a great breakfast, I requested porridge but thought the breakfast looked yummy. I would get a taxi from the station if I hadnt been driving but there is a brilliant bus service on the door step. Even as I was waiting outside for my taxi, staff who were going into work asked if they could help me.

At times, we have an expectation of hotels having high standards etc but this hotel met that. It also had the extra factor of having a staff who seemed to care / are interested in their customers and enjoy their job. This was a much nicer place to stay then some hotels where you are treated a just a number, I will definitely book this hotel again and will tell my friends too.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
west midlands
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel for a few reasons but the room we stayed in was dark with just a wall for a view. We had a meal which was very nice as was the breakfast. Also the bar wasnt too bad.We dont know whether we would return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I stayed fairly recently for a conference in Birmingham, and this was one of the cheapest hotels found by Expotel for me. Warning: It's a bloomin' long walk from New Street station up the Hagley Road when you're carrying an overnight bag and it's raining. Yet I was led to believe it was a 20 minute walk from New Street Station!!!

First impressions of the exterior were unfavourable; it looks like a '70's throwback, more Crossroads than Claridges. But inside was very plush and the bar area comfortable and nicely spaced. Booking in was quick and easy and the staff very friendly, nothing was too much trouble and they meant their greetings (London staff, take note). But the rooms! Oh my gawd!! Cramped and useless wardrobe space for hanging suits, bathroom barely big enough to swing a mouse, toilet flushes so noisy you could hear them in the next room (my neighbour seemed to have a problem the night I stayed as all I heard was the continual flush of the toilet next door), noisy air con which either chilled to the bone or left the room sweltering, a telly which only responded if you held the remote about an inch from the screen. Plusses were a powerful shower (I'm sick of being dribbled on), a comfortable bed (more pillows needed though) and cleanliness was excellent.

Breakfast was the only meal I had there, and it was excellent. Grilled tomatoes, great scrambled eggs and a good selection of fruit salads and teas. The bar was slightly above pub prices, but you'd expect that. The staff deserve much, much better though. I hope Menzies Strathallan look to do a total revamp soon. Reasonable value for money, but the staff made it special, so I take my hat off to them.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business