“A real mixed bag.”

Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan
Ranked #52 of 119 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a 2 day conference and found it to be very good in some areas, but poor in others.

The good side was the food, which at all times was hot, tasty and made with quality ingredients. Much of it seemed home made too, rather than bought in. However, 2 of the meals we had were served in the entrance foyer/ eating area. I found it quite surreal eating alongside people registering and walking about. Surely a room should be set aside for the purpose of eating??

The staff were all helpful and polite. The hotel was generally clean and tidy. However, the room I had was small at best, the bathroom was ridiculously tiny (the washroom in my caravan is larger!!) and I was given a single bed (for £120).

In addition to this, the car park which is around the hotel, was full to the brim, with several of my conference colleagues having to find off street parking some distance away. Also, some of the conference attendees, unbeknown to them, were booked into another hotel as this one was full. My question to this is, why take a conference booking when you are already going to be full? I'm sure there'll be some smart answer about "people booked late, so we had to make alternative arrangement", but it's just not good enough.

The final gripe was, as this hotel sits on a junction corner, it effectively has a road to 3 sides. As such, it's horrendously noisy, not only late at night, but early in the morning too.

If I wanted a Birmingham hotel for an overnight stay, travelling alone, this hotel would probably be OK. However, as a conference hotel, I don't think it comes up to the mark. And if I was wanting a break with my partner I would book somewhere else, because I think I would be frustrated trying to sort out issues, rather than enjoying my ourselves.

A shame.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,273)

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I pre-booked a four night stay at the Menzies Strathallan Hotel for a visit to the UK. I was expecting the usual poor service but this place changed my perception completely. I have had Senior Hotel Management experience so I can recognise good service and good facilities.
My rate was amazing and included breakfast. After checking in that was speedy and efficient I checked on my breakfast entitlement. The Food and Beverage Manager told me that it was not included. When I showed him my voucher he said that he would change it. There was no discussion. He just did it.
Breakfast was more than adequate for me and the mixed berry fruits were ideal. Apart from my first night I eat in the Restaurant every night. When I first arrived in the restaurant the Head Waiter asked my room number and I gave my name and room number, after that every time he spoke to me he used my name which some might have found irritating but to me is an indication of an excellent Head Waiter. The food was very good and very plentiful. The rest of the waiters and waitresses were very attentive and not because it might have been quiet but because they have been trained properly. On two occasions I had guests and they also were impressed at the service and food.
My single room was perfect for my needs, comfortable, clean with good facilities in the bathroom and TV. Free Wifi was very useful as part of my trip.
I did not meet any staff that were not prepared to put themselves out. I was made to feel at home. The staff were friendly without being familiar. The Food and Beverage Manager even chose to bring Room Service to my room! I was always met by smiles from all of the staff which hopefully indicates that they are happy and pleased to be providing success excellent service.
I will certainly stay again. They deserve their Four Stars.
The location of the Hotel with free secure parking was ideal.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a good hotel which is clean and good service, just what you want for short business or shopping break. The bus stop is outside or parking available on site. Outside appearance may put you off but inside is good. I had a newly refurbished room which is furnished to a high standard, plenty of room with comfortable KS bed and 2 comfortable chairs. large screen TV with lots of channels. Plus free WIFI. The breakfast buffet was replenished with hot fresh ingredients regularly. This is the second visit to the hotel and again not disappointed. Excellent value for money

Room Tip: Single rooms are small if a single endeavour to get upgrade to double
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This hotel was in a good position for us as the bus stopped outside, and there was one every few minutes into the centre of Birmingham. It was also only a 10 minute walk to the Botanical Gardens.It has a large secure indoor free car park as well as an outside one, all an advantage
.This hotel was spoilt for us by the tiny bedrooms. It is a round hotel and the rooms on the outside are large, but if you pay for a standard, you get one on the inside of the circle which is a funny shape and tiny. It may be alright for 1 person, but if there are 2, you juggle 2 chairs a luggage stand and a table to get into a very small wardrobe. I can only presume other reviewers had the outside rooms which, as we were passing them when they were being cleaned, did look lovely. The bath was even tapered and not easy to get in and out of, the water was not very hot but warm enough.The towels were a good size, good quality and white.They provide shampoo, body wash, soap and bath cap.
We had dinner in the restaurant and were delighted with what we received, big bowl of tomato soup with a hot roll, 5 hour cooked beef and sticky toffee pudding, all cooked well and were hot when served by very pleasant, efficient restaurant staff, for about £20. The breakfast could have been better, some bacon slightly over done, fried eggs you sometimes had to wait for or those left were hard.
Overall we enjoyed our stay, and if we had known the size of the standard bedroom we would have upgraded, and enjoyed it even more.

Room Tip: Go for an upgrade, room on the outside of the building.
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Very welcoming, staff are attentive and take care to provide all the information needed. Rooms are spacious and comfortable with good facilities. Food in the restaurant was excellent and the service was excellent also.
Checking in and out was painless!!
This hotel is very accessible by public transport or a very reasonable taxi fare.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed at the Strathallan Birmingham City (bit of stretch,that description!) hotel on a Friday night, after a day in the city and prior to visiting the NEC the next day. It was convenient for both - 10 minutes out of the city, 20 minutes off the heavy traffic route to the NEC.
Having stayed in 5-star hotels aound the world who haven't a clue, the following list gets them 5 stars from me:
Everything clean and not worn down in a decently-sized room; comfortable bed good linens, with additional pillows, etc.; large flat screen TV; table and chairs; plenty of hot water in a nice bathroom; plenty of hangers in a wardrobe with a light!; plenty of storage; quiet (7th floor) room, despite overlooking the road; opening windows; adjustable radiators; reasonable cooked breakfast in a nice lobby area restaurant; free, good-quality and easily accessible wi-fi (hang your heads in shame, Hilton, Starwood; IHG, etc. etc.); free and easy car parking. Get the picture?
Add to that pleasant, efficient and attentive staff and our ridiculously reasonable packaged deal that included a Murder Mystery Dinner (fun but overlong), we had no hesitation in joining their loyalty scheme and will seek them out when we want to stay somewhere they have a place. Well done, Menzies!

Room Tip: Upper floors probably best. Do the murder mystery dinner if you like that sort of thing!
Reviewed 16 November 2013

For a short 1 or 2 night stay, this hotel is ideal. Don't be put off by the exterior, it is much better inside! We were on the 7th floor and although we were in a standard double room, it was a little bit small, but it was cosy. The rooms are nicely furnished and warm, and they are modern and comfortable. If you wanted to be critical, there were a few scuff marks on the wall, but personally stuff like that doesnt bother me! Cant comment on breakfast as I didnt have it.
Location is good, there is parking at the hotel. If you want to get into the city centre it is a straight walk which takes about 30 mins, or there are very frequent buses at £2 for a single trip into the city centre.