“Looks like a gasometer!”

Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan
Ranked #55 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“Looks like a gasometer!”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Not the prettiest of buildings but functional. Being circular shaped all the rooms are wedge shaped. We had an internal room with no view but it was very quiet. Unfortunately the walls are very thin and we could hear the man next door snoring!
Staff are all lovely and helpful. Breakfast was good. Found it a bit irritating having cloths over all the breads. I realise it is to stop them drying out but you cant see anything. Waitresses were a bit over keen at clearing the tables before you had finished. If you got up for something your plate was gone.
Dinner was excellent! Fabulous food -All 3 courses.
Would like to suggest that young children are not allowed in after 8pm. Our meal was interrupted by screaming children. Didn't like the bar having the TV on and it was on sports channel. Made it difficult to sit and chat.
All that said, it was an enjoyable stay.

1 Thank Gabby51

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Northamptonshire
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed here with my husband for one night as we were going to the O2 Academy. I was under the impression that it would be close to the Station/Academy/Broad Street. Ended up spending pounds on taxis - it's at least a 20-30 minute walk to Broad Street and we wouldn't have been able to find our way to the O2 as there aren't any pedestrian signs. The hotel itself was a disappointment. The room size was quite good but we had booked a double room. There was no double bed, just 2 singles pushed together but both had been made up separately! Had the worst night's sleep in ages as bed very hard - woke up feeling bruised all over. Couldn't have a shower in the morning as the bathroom was too cold (no radiator or even hot towel rail). For the price of the room you would think that you would get at least one bottle of water (I had to run the cold water for at least 3 minutes before it was drinkable). The daytime Receptionist was not very hospitable either. When I checked out in the morning I wasn't even asked if I had enjoyed my stay, in fact he didn't even say good morning to me. We didn't bother having breakfast as the price put us off - There is a small, smart cafe about 500 yards down the road where you can have breakfast for a quarter of the price.

1 Thank Kat12350
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stay at the Menzies for business quite regularly. The executive suites are very good, the room is nice and big lots of space and a good bath robe. The room service was good and food arrived hot and on time. Ordered the chicken with veg- potatoes were not boiled enough and not edible. Some sort of sauce would have been nice for such a dry dish- chicken breast with boiled veg. Personally, I think there is something immoral about charging ~£6 for a small bowl of fruit-( some of it hard and not ripe eg plums ) when you can have a toffee knickerbocker glory for £1.50 on the small bites / kids section. The room was cold but the towelling robe helped. The water temperature is controlled by individual thermostat limited at 50 degrees- so you get a warm bath but not a hot bath. I was unfortunate enough to stay in one of their double rooms on another business trip and I must say it really wasn't very good. The food arrived cold, I still have no idea what flavour the soup was (was told tomato but it was green- possibly pea??) but the worst thing was just how cold the room was. I repeatedly requested a a radiator which I left on all night near my bed and was till cold. I really hope the hotel sort these sort of problems out- room service means being charged an additional £3.50 per tray so the food really should be right, I hope the pricing is adjusted and you are not punished for trying to eat healthy. I have some more stays coming up so will continue to review - hope the service gets better! I would, recommend booking the exec suite, the double rooms were just too small for me.

Room Tip: Gym is small- 2 treadmills. Stay in the exec suites for a more spacious room and request a heater!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
somerset
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This was an ideal location if you don't mind a 20 minute stroll into the centre. Or you can catch a bus literally outside the hotel. Free parking for your car which is great as majority hotels do not have on site parking and you have to pay. Every little helps.
The staff and service was very good. Nothing too much trouble. Extra pillow, extra milk for cuppa in room , map for city and directions etc etc. all met with smiles and unhurried approach.
Breakfast was ok. Room quiet and clean but looks a little tired in appearance.
The negative aspects related to the room feeling chilly. No air con that we could find and two radiators but only one pumped out heat. The bathroom was chilly. So if you want bath have water nice and deep to sink under.
The water pressure was very poor so my husband took a shower but I literally laughed the whole time. I could pee with a better flow than the shower. He was not amused. I opted for the hot bath!!!!
I am usually looking for air con to make room cool but wasn't needed for this trip. Although my husband was convinced I had cooled room. He likes it warmer.
No real complaints. Good all rounder.

Room Tip: Water pressure on top floor meant trickle of water for shower so opt for a bath. Plenty hot water...
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Business trip, have stayed here several times. Due to the building shape the rooms are like wedge shape, quite quirky and at first seem very squashed and compact BUT you have everything you need..! Tidy little bathroom and loo, a bed that's as comfy as any I've slept in, with plenty covers and pillows, TV and tea coffee. Yes room little cramped but to be honest you have bathroom and TV and brew up gear and a fabulous bed... What more do you need??

We ate at a local restaurant as so many nearby, and had breakfast in the hitel., which was buffetvstyke and pretty much all you could want for breakie was available.

Friendly helpful staff, nothing seems too much trouble.
Fab hotel, we often use this venue due to it being spot on.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a 2 day conference and found it to be very good in some areas, but poor in others.

The good side was the food, which at all times was hot, tasty and made with quality ingredients. Much of it seemed home made too, rather than bought in. However, 2 of the meals we had were served in the entrance foyer/ eating area. I found it quite surreal eating alongside people registering and walking about. Surely a room should be set aside for the purpose of eating??

The staff were all helpful and polite. The hotel was generally clean and tidy. However, the room I had was small at best, the bathroom was ridiculously tiny (the washroom in my caravan is larger!!) and I was given a single bed (for £120).

In addition to this, the car park which is around the hotel, was full to the brim, with several of my conference colleagues having to find off street parking some distance away. Also, some of the conference attendees, unbeknown to them, were booked into another hotel as this one was full. My question to this is, why take a conference booking when you are already going to be full? I'm sure there'll be some smart answer about "people booked late, so we had to make alternative arrangement", but it's just not good enough.

The final gripe was, as this hotel sits on a junction corner, it effectively has a road to 3 sides. As such, it's horrendously noisy, not only late at night, but early in the morning too.

If I wanted a Birmingham hotel for an overnight stay, travelling alone, this hotel would probably be OK. However, as a conference hotel, I don't think it comes up to the mark. And if I was wanting a break with my partner I would book somewhere else, because I think I would be frustrated trying to sort out issues, rather than enjoying my ourselves.

A shame.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Torrevieja, Spain
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I pre-booked a four night stay at the Menzies Strathallan Hotel for a visit to the UK. I was expecting the usual poor service but this place changed my perception completely. I have had Senior Hotel Management experience so I can recognise good service and good facilities.
My rate was amazing and included breakfast. After checking in that was speedy and efficient I checked on my breakfast entitlement. The Food and Beverage Manager told me that it was not included. When I showed him my voucher he said that he would change it. There was no discussion. He just did it.
Breakfast was more than adequate for me and the mixed berry fruits were ideal. Apart from my first night I eat in the Restaurant every night. When I first arrived in the restaurant the Head Waiter asked my room number and I gave my name and room number, after that every time he spoke to me he used my name which some might have found irritating but to me is an indication of an excellent Head Waiter. The food was very good and very plentiful. The rest of the waiters and waitresses were very attentive and not because it might have been quiet but because they have been trained properly. On two occasions I had guests and they also were impressed at the service and food.
My single room was perfect for my needs, comfortable, clean with good facilities in the bathroom and TV. Free Wifi was very useful as part of my trip.
I did not meet any staff that were not prepared to put themselves out. I was made to feel at home. The staff were friendly without being familiar. The Food and Beverage Manager even chose to bring Room Service to my room! I was always met by smiles from all of the staff which hopefully indicates that they are happy and pleased to be providing success excellent service.
I will certainly stay again. They deserve their Four Stars.
The location of the Hotel with free secure parking was ideal.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo