Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan
The Eaton Hotel(Birmingham)
The Edgbaston(Birmingham)
  • Breakfast included
1,299 results
All reviewsmurder mysterycity centrehagley roadbus stopfree car parkingsingle roomrooms are smallexecutive roomrestaurant staffwould stay againironing boardbuffet styletea and coffee making facilitiesself servicereception areafull englishone night stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Strathallan again, on this occasion our accommodation was a larger suite on the outside of the building (possibly a king size) on the 6 th floor.
The room to me appeared to be recently up dated including the on suite bathroom. I am surprised that this hotel is not further up the trip advisor rankings than it is. The hotel main reception and eating area are all to a good standard. We chose this hotel as we had business in Birmingham and at the NEC over the weekend. We eat at the hotel and found the included meal deal an excellent choice (breakfast with dinner on the 1st night.)
The hotel isn't far from either broad street or the main city center, there is a regular bus service into town from directly outside the hotel, however if there are 2 or more it will be cheaper by taxi from reception (£5). Part of our choice for this hotel was its position and also the free parking to guests stopping.
Some of the hotels nearer Birmingham center are more expensive and charge £15 - £20 parking for 24hrsso the taxi fair seems cheap to me.
The hotel is about 11 miles from the NEC according to our sat nav, not ideal, but it was on route home for us on the Sunday.
Staff: i Found the desk staff very helpful for information and when booking direct with the hotel.
On the night we stayed they were hosting a murder mystery evening in one of their event rooms this seemed very enjoyable to all that participated - unfortunately we didn't know about it and hadn't booked it, may be next time. This made the hotel full for that evening, but there were still plenty of space to sit and relax
I had 1 small concern & I mean "small", which reception put right as should any hotel
February 14

Room Tip: he king size or executive rooms are larger, enough for a large bed, a single bed, table & chairs and a desk/makup table with room to spare also views over Birmingham
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights, the hotel did us proud. Room was clean and comfortable. It was lovely to have tea and coffee facilities in our room. Room was clean and found the bed comfortable too. Bathroom looked new and plenty of sundries left in our room. Found having a high, outside room gave out the best views of Birmingham. Breakfast was excellent and plenty of choice given. Lounges were comfortable complimented with excellent friendly staff who display an element of professionalism. Taxi reasonable £5 into Broad Street, Birmingham. Without any hesitation will certainly be staying here again.

Room Tip: High floor outside roo for best view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank p0ppy50
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights 29th and 30th January 2014- on a business trip. The reception staff were excellent throughout my stay as was the restaurant staff. The hotel was very clean and comfortable and very well positioned. As a lone female traveller I felt very safe at the hotel.I would be more than happy to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: I upgraded
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank walkingborgia
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Myself and colleagues stayed for 1 night prior to a conference.we didn't have a good start as there was some confusion with our booking, resulting in asking for payment for rooms already paid for by our place of work! We went to our rooms which were ok slightly small, but cold. My room appeared fine at first but when I got my second pillow out of the wardrobe a dirty pillow case had not been changed.... This was nothing compared to my colleague! She was really distressed at 1130pm whilst she was asleep two people entered her room terrifying her.... They had been given the key to the room believing no one else occupied it... This followed by duty manager calling her sometime later and then another person coming into her room early in the morning! At breakfast she wasn't on the guest list and on returning to collect her thing she couldn't gain entry as her key now would not give her access! She complained and asked for an explanation from the duty manager who could offer no answers. She gave her address and contact number and as of tonight still hasn't had a call offering any sort of explanation!

Room Tip: Nothing to help with choice maybe a hot water bottle would be useful.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Sue J
Strath01, Manager at Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to add your response to TripAdvisor and first of all please accept my apologies for the laundry marked pillow slip that you found on your spare pillow, this does also get creased due to the way it is stored.
The confusion with your bookings on arrival was because one of your colleagues had made two bookings through two different channels, which is why you were asked to pay, the alternative one being the one you wished to use, unfortunately this lead on to the receptionist making the error of giving the wrong key to your colleague and sincerely apologise for this error and have put measures in place to ensure this does not happen again.
I am not sure why you have said your colleague has not been contacted because I called her twice on the day of her departure and left quite a long message with the first call.

Kind regards
Kevin Williams
General Manager.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

what an excellent night. stayed one night for a murder mystery it was very well done i would recommend this experience to anybody. the hotel staff were very friendly and would do anything for you. as i am disabled the staff helped me and my niece with getting our breakfast. Nothing was to much trouble. The room was spotless and very comfortable. The food was excellent. we would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family