“excellent value for money”

Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan
Ranked #53 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here to go to a concert in Birmingham. I arrived by train and rang the hotel to enquire as to the best way to get there. They were very helpful and told me what bus to catch. The bus stop was right outside and buses ran every few minutes. Very convenient
I arrived early but was allowed to check in as my room was ready. The room itself was clean and had everything needed. It may be a little small compared to modern hotels but this is not a problem for me.
The bed was very comfy and the bathroom well equipped. The shower was perfect.
I did not eat so cannot comment on the food but there seemed plenty of choice at a fair price . The only downside was that the bar was already closed when I got back at 11.30 pm
I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We spent 3 nights at the Strathalan in March for a family celebration and also for a "walk down memory lane" as I hadn't been back to my home town for many years. My husband and I were both very much looking forward to the stay but were disappointed with some aspects of the Hotel. We chose an executive room (734) which was on the 7th floor with pleasant views of Edgbaston reservoir - a good room which was spoilt by a couple of things that could easily be put right. First of all we only had 1 of everything - I rang down to reception and a member of Staff quite quickly brought me extra supplies. The same thing happened the next day - I rang down to reception again and had to wait a couple of hours before the housekeeper came and told me that the reason there was only 1 of everything was because they were used to business people staying at the Hotel! - Hello! this was a weekend and to my knowledge most business men and women are home on a Friday evening! No excuse! The room was very cold as the radiators were not working - there was an electric radiator in the room, so the Hotel was obviously aware of the problem. Despite mentioning this to a young man at reception who assured us he would look into it, we remained cold for the whole of the stay which was to say at the least uncomfortable as the towel rail in the bathroom was not heated.

We decided to dine in the Hotel on the 1st night, which was a bad mistake. The waiting Staff were very pleasant and the service was good, but we found the food very disappointing - we chose a goats cheese starter which was supposed to be a bruschetta marinated in goats cheese - more like a dried piece of bread! My husband chose a steak and ale pie which he expected to be home made, as this was a 4 star hotel, but you could have picked up a pie like this in any supermarket! My chicken was acceptable and the wine was drinkable., but the meal was not worth the money. We chose to eat out for the rest of our stay. I have tried to contact Menzies Head Office but have not received a reply - this is a great shame, because this could be a very good hotel worthy of its 4 star status.

Room Tip: Ask for an executive room on a high floor - the standard rooms face inwards and have no view. Ask a...
1  Thank JayS1506
Strath01, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback on Tripadvisor, please accept my apologies for the cold room, your quite correct our engineer is aware of an issue with the heating and why there is a mobile heater in the room while we are awaiting a solution.
The hotel does as much as possible to be as green as possible and this is why we only display one set of towels, generally there is always a second set in one of the drawers in the room and very unusual for this not to be the case.
I have also notice you mention your meal in your feedback but feel I just need to say that the goats cheese starter is a crostini and different to that of a bruschetta, also with regards to the pie, we do not mention that it is home made and these pies are not available at any supermarket, they are of an excellent quality which is why we use them and are only available in outlets such as Harrods, Fortnum and Masons, Selfridges and Rick Steins Deli to name but a few.
Once again I am sorry that we have not met your expectations and hope that you will visit again in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed in the single room on business. Rooms require refurbishment. There's a kettle with coffee or tea for one but you can ask for more at reception. My sink was cracked and sealed with silicone. Shower and bath were ok. Tiles were cracked. Bed was uncomfortable and springy. Food was ok but got send back twice for being uncooked. Bar and lounge are the nicest part of the hotel though the shared toilet was a mess when I used it early afternoon and later that evening was in the same mess. Drink prices were good and meals could be served at the bar which was good too. Staff were polite. There's a bus stop outside for getting into town or £5 in a taxi.

Room Tip: The single rooms are basic but parking is good if you're taking a car. Meals aren't great bu...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback and I am sorry you were disappointed with your room and can understand why you mention refurbishment but assume this is only to the bathroom as all the case goods and decor are in a good condition. Your feed back is extremely helpful and will ensure that this bathroom is dealt with as quickly as possible.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Roundhouse design so inner rooms are small, shaped like a DairyLee triangle, very little room to move around, Staff pleasant at check in. Good quality sheets, towels etc and rooms furnishing ok - However the mattress was terrible, could feel the springs all nights and you could actually ping then as the stuck up so much - shame as a good nights sleep is important.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and for all your comments and we have now had the mattress in question changed and please accept my sincere apologies for the restless nights sleep.
I do hope that you would consider using us again in the future when I am sure you will have an improved nights rest.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

This hotel exceeded my expectations as the price was very reasonable, we paid extra for an executive room which was well worth the extra .Both my husband and myself are disabled and there was a parking space right outside the front entrance. The accessable room had everything we needed. An evening meal ws iuncluded in our package, this was of an excellant standard. The Hotel is well situated for central Birmingham.We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a larger room
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife fancied a shopping break, but not too far to drive from Exmouth in Devon, so we had a 3 day break and found The Menzies Hotel, Edgbaston in Birmingham, which is a 4 star hotel, all the rooms were great, but we paid to have an upgrade room on the 6th floor, which was very large with a great bathroom, the TV had sky sports, parking was FREE and also the Wii was also FREE, We had dinner on the 1st evening in the hotel which was excellent with a bottle of Pinot Grigio, the wine was fine and cost £19.90 a bottle. The breakfast was a buffet style and could help yourself as much as you wanted with another section for vegetarians. The hotel was quite near "The Bullring" shopping centre, so my wife was in her glory due to the fact there was many huge shopping malls with plenty of restaurants, bars etc. The hotel staff were so helpful and would go out of their way to please the guests, in fact our suitcases were brought up to our room, but the kind assistant refused a few pounds of a tip. (I think he was one of the managers?) We will make a point of revisiting this hotel when we're in this location, one of the best we've stayed in in over 55 years of travel. Well done The Menzies Hotel, Birmingham, please accept me and my wife's thanks and gratatude for such a wonderful stay

Room Tip: No need to add anything, everything was the best!
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel Friday night as part of a Murder Mystery Evening package which had been given to us as a Christmas present from our daughter and son in law. Our daughter had arranged for us to have afternoon tea when we arrived and this was most welcome. Lovely sandwiches, scones with jam and cream and flan with tea or coffee. Our room was an Executive Suite and there was plenty of room with two easy chairs, table and television. The room and bathroom was very clean and the bed was lovely and comfortable. We were on the 6th floor so had super views over the Birmingham skyline. The Murder Mystery Evening was excellent and everyone seemed to have a good time, joining in and trying to guess 'who dun it', The actors were all very professional and did a very good job with their characters. The food was a little basic and only just enough but this did not hamper the enjoyment of the evening. Buffet breakfast was very good. Car parking at the hotel was excellent and buses into the city stop outside the hotel. A very good stay in a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Good views across the city on higher floors.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family