“We had a lovely time!”

Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan
Ranked #55 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We had booked this hotel for a Friday 'Murder Mystery Evening' and had decided to stay for another night on the Saturday. The staff were helpful and polite on check-in, and the hotel offers secure parking. Our 'Murder Mystery Evening' was great fun, and although the food was a 'set menu' it was tasty and efficiently served. We had an excellent breakfast on both mornings of our stay as we opted for the 'freshly cooked' smoked haddock and omelette options which were excellent. The only criticism I could make of the good variety at breakfast was that the cheese and ham on the buffet did look a little stale. We had opted for, and paid a little extra for, an outside room, and having stayed at the hotel previously we thought that the extra space was a good investment. We had a very good stay with enjoyable food and pleasant staff, very convenient for getting into Birmingham, and with a variety of local buses stopping outside the door the parking was much appreciated and avoided the need to drive into Birmingham.

Room Tip: It is worthwhile to upgrade to an outside room unless you are travelling alone - the extra space is...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank FourteenBerkshire
Strath01, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive feedback and we are so pleased you enjoyed our Murder Mystery event and you took advantage of one of our upgrades.
I am sorry to hear the cheese and ham looked a bit stale, it is always freshly prepared before going into the refrigerated unit and maybe its this cold air blowing across it that maybe causing the problem, I will have this looked into so that we can solve this quality issue.
I do hope you take the opportunity to coming again to another Murder Mystery event or even just for a weekend break.

General manager.

There are newer reviews for Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Whilst in the Midlands on business I booked into this hotel to get a good night's sleep. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. My double room had a bed with every spring pushing through making the bed particularly uncomfortable. I requested a room change and got moved to a twin room with 2 single beds. Yet again terribly uncomfortable. To try and get at least some sleep I removed the duvet from the second bed and slept on top of that. 4 star should at least provide s comfortable bed.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Charles B
Strath01, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, and for the positive comments on our service.

Please accept my apologies for the problems you had with the bed, we usually have very positive comments on guest having a good nights sleep on our beds, I will have the housekeeping staff look for the mattresses in question so that we can have them replaced.

I do hope you will take the opportunity to come back to the hotel the next time you are in Birmingham so that you will see that this is not the usual standard of our beds.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I booked this hotel on a recommendation from a client. The check in was fast, the staff courteous and was glad they had parking. I had a single room. It wasn't huge, but was sufficient for me. The bathroom was clean, well lit and had a nice selection of amenities.

What I didn't like was the bed. I felt every spring in it. There is no reason to have such an awful mattress in a "business class" hotel. The internet in the room was extremely slow - It reminded me of dial up. And, I wasn't thrilled with the desk nor the chair (I didn't know chairs without wheels were still in use in 2014.) And the elevators....so slow..faster taking the stairs.

I had a drink at the bar with my client later that evening. Again, the service was fine and the selection of beverages was very good. I can't comment on the food in the restaurant as we did not eat there.

I think if the hotel spent some money on the furnishings in the room - and some money with better WIFI, this would be a much nicer hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Backstreets1250

Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies for the problems you had with the bed, we usually have very positive comments on guest having a good nights sleep on our beds, I will have the housekeeping staff look for the mattress in question so that we can have it replaced.

The WiFi can be slow on occasions and when checking with the provider they have informed us that it is due to the number of guests using the WiFi at the time and can cause it to be a little slow depending on what they are using it before.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here for a night out in birmingham as a group of girls.Couldn't complain at all. Booked a twin room and was surprised how spacious the room was. Slightly dated decor but otherwise perfect. Staff helpful, free car parking, super comfy beds, shower gel and soaps in bathroom, hair dryer and iron and ironing board in the room, table and two chairs, kettle and cups, plenty of mirrors for getting ready. taxi in a black cab was £7 to bullring was £10 to get back to hotel after the night out. Lovely breakfast in the morning, buffet style lots of variety and the chef even cooked vegetarian sausages for someone in our group. would def recommend to stay here and I would def stay here again. Had an excellent nights sleep.

Room Tip: As friends we sometimes book double rooms but the twin rooms were huge way bigger that the doubles.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JessBale85

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased you had a good night out and stay with your group.
Thank you also for your very positive comments, which I will pass on to the staff and we hope you have the opportunity to come and stay at the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We had booked our two nights stay over the Internet and arrived at the hotel at around 1500 hrs. Parking was the easiest I have ever experienced in a hotel located so close to the city centre - and the cherry on the cake - parking is FREE.

Our check-in was fast, drama free, friendly and professional. We were given all the necessary information such as the free wifi password, breakfast times, dinner menus, etc. The male member of staff who was manning the reception desk was polite, efficient and knowledgeable. He answered our queries about local dining establishments, the city centre, etc, and we felt welcomed and valued.

Our twin room (Room 702) on the 7th floor was spacious, clean, airy and bright. We had an excellent view out of the windows and was high enough to be away from any road noise. We had a good size flat screen TV, free Wi-Fi access, desks and chairs to relax on, complimentary refreshments, something to get the creases out of my clothes, etc. The bathroom was clean and had the usual complimentary shower gel, shampoo, soap and clean, fresh white fluffy towels. Perhaps the shower could have done with a little additional water pressure, but overall, taking into account that it is an old building, an excellent room.

During our stay, we had afternoon tea, a few drinks and some sandwiches at the hotel. Again, we were impressed by the efficient and friendly service. Within walking distance of the hotel are numerous other restaurants for anyone who fancy something different, however, the food and drinks at the hotel are very adequate and reasonably priced.

Our checkout was again fast, friendly and efficient and our stay left a very positive mark in our minds to return this place again and also to recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank S10hum

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback and very much appreciate your very positive comments about the hotel and staff and will pass your feedback on to the staff.

I do hope you have the opportunity to visit the hotel again in the future.

kind regards

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Stated here again on Friday as it close to where we working Saturday. Staff always polite and obliging. Rooms are small but compact with a comfy bed though I'd hate to share it with hubby should we stay over here as it's tad bigger than a single but no way a double... But as was only me was fine! Rooms have brew facilities, TV iron and board and wardrobe in them and a separate bathroom with bath sink and wc. My bathroom was a little tired and needed a tart up but never the less was functionable-- plenty piping hot water. Breakfast is buffet style and very good choice. Overall we stay here quite frequently and are very happy hence kept coming back...!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Strath01, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind and positive comments and so nice that you keep coming back to the hotel.
I note you mention the bed size, we have mini doubles which are only for one person and have a 4ft double bed in and our standard doubles which have a king size bed, which is the one that you would need if your husband was with you.
Please ask the staff as they would be only to happy to give you a show round of the room types available.

General Manager.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Attended for business meeting and stayed for one night. Good location and easy to get to from the motorway. Excellent staff who were very helpful and courteous. The food in the restaurant was of a high standard and a very good wine list. My only gripe's (which are minor) are that the shower was, to say the least, very underpowered and more of a trickle. The second gripe is that the windows on the main road side could do with triple glazing.

However, saying that, would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for the kind comments that you have left, if you are staying again in the future ask the reservations for a room at the side or back of the hotel and you will find this little quieter.
The showers are fitted with a power shower pump and what I think may have happened is that the fuse may have popped and the staff are aware of how to solve this should you have the problem non your next visit.

kind regards