“Basil Fawlty is alive and well”

Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan
Ranked #54 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Basil Fawlty is alive and well”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I had stayed in this hotel before so I was looking for a non-eventful stay again. In some ways I got it. I had a small double room with excellent air conditioning. The gym was adequate and the breakfast standard for hotels. However, three incidents marred my stay. First, once I discovered that they did not have skimmed milk, I asked them to order me some for the next day. Apparently I was told that my request was passed to the head chef who "forgot" to place the order. Second, a waitress brought some hot milk to me in a jug without a handle and was surprised when I asked her to put the milk in a jug with a handle. But this next event could have come straight from Fawlty Towers. I asked for an early morning call which did not come. When I went down to complain, I was told by the duty manager that he had made the call personally and that I missed it because a) I was asleep or b) I was in the toilet. I suggested that the phone might not be working, a suggestion that was greeted with derision by the manager. But I was correct. When I rang down and the manager accepted this he said "well that's an apology from me for you not getting your call and an apology from you for suggesting that I hadn't made the call!!!" Actually, all I said was that I did not get the call. It transpired that the line was at fault which could not be fixed,I was told, until the following week. I was kindly offered a room change from a trainee who could have taught Basil a thing or two about customer relations, but I declined and that some trainee came up to my room the next morning and physically knocked on my door to wake me up. What a star!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Strath01, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking your time in taking part in feedback on tripadvisor, first of all please accept my apologies for the phone not working as it should have done as I believe you could make a call but it was not ringing when receiving a call and an apology should have been immediately forth coming although I do not feel that it should have triggered the response left. I was pleased to see our night porter ensured you had an early morning call the following day.

Unfortunately the design of the milk jugs we have do not have handles although we do have one or two in storage with handles.
Skimmed milk was ordered and was in the fridge but was behind some items not to be seen and the member of staff should have been more diligent in looking for the skimmed milk.

Once again please accept my apologies for the incident that marred your stay and do hope that you will stay again the next time you are in Birmingham.

Kevin Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

After searching several comparison sites for hotels in the area, I booked directly with the hotel, as it worked out cheaper, as I needed somewhere to stay for the weekend, to attend a wedding.
Prior to my arrival, and the on the day of checking in, I found the staff to be very helpful, and polite whenever I had any concerns.
I was pleasantly surprised by the facilities in the room; some expected - tea/coffee/chocolate, biscuits,kettle,toiletries tv, extra towel and extra blankets
unexpected-
trouser press, iron and board, safe deposit box, bath robe.
Anything else and the staff would be accommodating.
The one area of concern that I have is in relation to how hot it is when you leave the lift, I was on the 7th floor.
On the whole, a good value hotel, in a good location.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, and will be staying there again, whenever I need a hotel in Birmingham.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive feedback and was pleased to hear that you had a great weekend stay and hope you will visit us again in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is a clean and comfortable hotel with a pleasant and helpful staff. The gym is exceptionally small (4 pieces of cardio equipment, only 2 working when I was there, 2 simple weight lifting machines, only 1 working) so not particularly useful. The biggest downside is that it is not in the most helpful location so to get to either the university or city center is a cab ride or a long walk. We ended up having to take a lot of cabs to get around. Otherwise, it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for business over 4 nights. Single rooms are small but clean and in reasonable condition. The walls are thin. Staff are friendly and helpful (especially the cleaning ladies). Good parking. Brutalist architecture which is quite interesting. Breakfast pretty good.

Stayed July 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your comments, which I will pass on to the staff and hope you will visit again the next time you are in Birmingham.

kind regards
General manager.
London, England
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel, to take part in a Murder Mystery" evening. This was a first for us on two levels.

Our first time staying at this hotel and our first time taking part in a murder mystery.

the hotel was very nice, we had a lovely "Executive" room, with a nice King size bed, the room was tastefully furnished, nice bathroom, staff were very polite and helpful. this hotel is conveniently located on Hagely Road with bus stops just outside where you can catch several buses to take you to the city centre within minutes.

We thoroughly enjoyed taking part in the Murder Mystery evening, ( although we did not guess correctly who the murderer was!) We were treated to a lovely well cooked three - course meal with wine throughout the evening.

I would recommend this experience to my friends and family. Looking forward to the next one!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for all your very positive comments and very pleased that you had enjoyed our murder mystery event, we run these very regularly throughout the year and can be booked direct with the hotel, our next ones with availability on them is in October should you or your family like to attend again.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

After a previously horrendous experience at another hotel, we were able to obtain some rooms last minute at the Menzies.

Lovely rooms, very comfortable and spotless, if a little warm! Slept well and the included breakfast was plentiful and delicious.

Very close to the University of Birmingham, perfect location to attend the graduation ceremonies the following morning.

A lovely stay, highly recommended.

Stayed July 2014
Strath01, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive comments and for taking the time to leave them on the web site.
I will ensure these are passed on to all the staff and we hope to see you again here at the hotel in the future.

Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I just had one night here as had a wedding to go to nearby. The staff were very pleasant and I was pleasantly happy! The room was small but had everything I needed for my stay,including the iron which was needed! The only downside for me was that the shower wasn't very powerful for me but I guess everyone is different on how they like their's! The breakfast was outstanding and filled me up perfectly for the day!

Great hotel and would defiantly stay again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest

I will ensure these are passed on to all the staff, I will ask the maintenance team to look into why your shower was not performing as it should and we hope to see you again here at the hotel in the future.