“Not worth more than 3 stars!”

Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan
Ranked #50 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Good - Buffet Breakfast
Location - If you have a car

Bad - Service
WiFi
The Bed
The humudity in room

I had booked a room with A/C in a normal double bedroom but was tld to pay £10 extra a night if i wanted a "better room" which was the exceutove room with a bigger bed an a view. I said ok.

What I found out was that the room had no A/C and was very hot and humid in there. I had my pregnant wife with me who was very uncomfartable with this. I went downstairs later in the evening to the guy that gave me this new room to tell him that there was no A/C. He said that was only in the rooms with no view so basically the one I had already booked. He sent some fans upstairs to the room that didnt do too much.

In the early morning I also found out that the bed was not a double bed but 2 single beds put together.

In the morning after breakfast I told all of this to the new receptionist and she said that we maybe be able to change rooms but nothing came of it. I also explained to her that the WiFi was very poor as well.

I have never stayed in such a place in my entire life. The only thing that saved any of this was the buffet breakfast and its location some what.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Strath01, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and was very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, I believe you were offered an upgrade at £10 per night to an executive room which is a larger room on the outside of the building as the receptionist thought you may prefer this room he was not aware that you chose the room you had booked was because you required air conditioning and this was not mentioned to him at the time.
The beds a zip and link bed which can be a super king or two singles, at the time you had a super king bed and not just two beds pushed together and left.
The receptionist did check with BT Openzone as they are the provider of the WiFi to the hotel and after checking the system found all to be working correctly.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed on Friday night to celebrate my birthday in a king suite, would have liked to stayed longer it was so nice. Our suite with a separate lounge from the bedroom overlooked a play school nursery garden so it was very quiet during the night. It was well worth paying the extra for more space. I think the rooms on the opposite of the corridor looked out across to the other rooms facing them. We had a 3 course dinner plus coffee or tea included in the price. The meals were really well presented and were very good. All the staff were helpful and friendly. One member even gave me a jug of fresh milk for my drinks in our room. The free car parking was also a welcome bonus. There is a bus stop right outside with many buses going into the city and various places.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor in a suite room 511. Door is set back from the corridor and the bathroom...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edgworth

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to leave your very positive feedback on tripadvisor.

I will ensure I pass on all your comments to the staff and we hope that you will have the time to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had booked 2 double rooms initially for myself and my husband and my elderly parents to attend my youngest son's graduation at Birmingham University. A little while after I booked a single room for my oldest son as he was in the area and although he couldn't attend the graduation he could at least meet up with us all and join in the celebrations.I contacted the Hotel in advance and asked if we could check in earlier than the normal 2:00pm as we were on quite a tight schedule-they said they would do what they could. When we arrived we were delighted to find that both our room and my parents room were ready for us. We quickly got changed and headed off to the graduation ceremony-which was absolutely wonderful. We returned to the hotel and my oldest son had checked in. My parents were in a room for disabled which was large airy and had everything they needed. Our room was much smaller but was perfectly adequate- most importantly everything was very clean. My son's room was even smaller but again perfectly adequate for a 1 night stay. The hotel corridors were very hot as were the rooms- my husband and I had air con but my son and my parents didn't. It was a very warm day and night my son said he felt like he was being cooked alive. My parents were also warm and said they had to open the window but as they were on the front of the hotel they were very aware of the road noise(not the hotels fault it is on a main road). My Father was in a wheelchair as he had broken his leg-although there are 2 lifts only 1 was in use which was rather awkward. We went down to breakfast the next morning only to be told by the waitress that I had not purchased breakfast when I booked for my son- I was happy to pay although I was quite certain that I had booked bed and breakfast for him. My son was adamant that I was not going to spend any more money-he felt I'd paid enough and said he wouldn't bother with breakfast. He was also on quite a tight schedule so I didn't have time to go back upstairs to get my paperwork. I felt awful having breakfast and my son not joining in. He left immediately afterwards. When I got upstairs lo and behold I had paid for breakfast for him. I was furious and took my paperwork down to reception and explained what had happened. They weren't terribly concerned and simply said that the waitress should have checked with reception when I told her I was sure I had paid- apparently the list she is given isn't always accurate!!!!! Can't see much point in giving some-one a list if it's not accurate. Anyway this really took the shine off what had up until then been a very nice experience. I would recommend anyone staying there to take their booking paperwork with them to breakfast

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Strath01, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, both positive and negative, i would just like to apologise for the error in the morning with regards to your sons breakfast, it was established to be an inputting error.

I believe your breakfast charge was refunded the morning of your departure although I realise the preference would have been for your son to have had his breakfast.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here as was convenient for a business meeting the following day.

Just £60 for the room and buffet breakfast, so very good value. Standard double room was not large, but suited my needs for the stay. Despite overlooking a busy road, the room was quiet with the windows closed, though imagine would get very stuffy on a hot day as no obvious air-con in the room.

Was offered an upgrade to Exec for just £10, but didn't feel the need this time as was late arriving, but may do this next time if I had to spend more time in the room and wanted something a bit larger.

Breakfast was a decent selection of hot and cold.

All staff were pleasant and efficient to deal with. On-site car parking is free and seemed plentiful. Wi-Fi is free.

Hotel looks a bit dated in general, but everything seemed clean and orderly. Did not try out the gym which is located next to reception.

Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive feedback and I will be sure to pass this on to the staff.
You were in one of our single rooms, should you wish air conditioning then you may prefer our internal standard double rooms.

We hope to see you here again in the future.

Kevin

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This hotel far out seeds those in the city centre! The room was comfortable and at a very good price, with sky sports being a luxury bonus on a cricket stay over! The breakfast was also excellent and the gym a nice bonus. Overall a great place to stay with some friendly staff! Even if the room cards are sometimes temperamental

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking your time to respond to your stay on tripadvisor, and for all your positive comments about both the hotel and staff.

I will be sure to pass these on to all the staff.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I had stayed in this hotel before so I was looking for a non-eventful stay again. In some ways I got it. I had a small double room with excellent air conditioning. The gym was adequate and the breakfast standard for hotels. However, three incidents marred my stay. First, once I discovered that they did not have skimmed milk, I asked them to order me some for the next day. Apparently I was told that my request was passed to the head chef who "forgot" to place the order. Second, a waitress brought some hot milk to me in a jug without a handle and was surprised when I asked her to put the milk in a jug with a handle. But this next event could have come straight from Fawlty Towers. I asked for an early morning call which did not come. When I went down to complain, I was told by the duty manager that he had made the call personally and that I missed it because a) I was asleep or b) I was in the toilet. I suggested that the phone might not be working, a suggestion that was greeted with derision by the manager. But I was correct. When I rang down and the manager accepted this he said "well that's an apology from me for you not getting your call and an apology from you for suggesting that I hadn't made the call!!!" Actually, all I said was that I did not get the call. It transpired that the line was at fault which could not be fixed,I was told, until the following week. I was kindly offered a room change from a trainee who could have taught Basil a thing or two about customer relations, but I declined and that some trainee came up to my room the next morning and physically knocked on my door to wake me up. What a star!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking your time in taking part in feedback on tripadvisor, first of all please accept my apologies for the phone not working as it should have done as I believe you could make a call but it was not ringing when receiving a call and an apology should have been immediately forth coming although I do not feel that it should have triggered the response left. I was pleased to see our night porter ensured you had an early morning call the following day.

Unfortunately the design of the milk jugs we have do not have handles although we do have one or two in storage with handles.
Skimmed milk was ordered and was in the fridge but was behind some items not to be seen and the member of staff should have been more diligent in looking for the skimmed milk.

Once again please accept my apologies for the incident that marred your stay and do hope that you will stay again the next time you are in Birmingham.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

After searching several comparison sites for hotels in the area, I booked directly with the hotel, as it worked out cheaper, as I needed somewhere to stay for the weekend, to attend a wedding.
Prior to my arrival, and the on the day of checking in, I found the staff to be very helpful, and polite whenever I had any concerns.
I was pleasantly surprised by the facilities in the room; some expected - tea/coffee/chocolate, biscuits,kettle,toiletries tv, extra towel and extra blankets
unexpected-
trouser press, iron and board, safe deposit box, bath robe.
Anything else and the staff would be accommodating.
The one area of concern that I have is in relation to how hot it is when you leave the lift, I was on the 7th floor.
On the whole, a good value hotel, in a good location.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, and will be staying there again, whenever I need a hotel in Birmingham.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive feedback and was pleased to hear that you had a great weekend stay and hope you will visit us again in the future.