“Much better than expected!”

Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan
Ranked #54 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Norwich, England
“Much better than expected!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We've been coming to visit our son in Birmingham for 7 years, since he first moved there as a student. We've stayed in lots of different hotels over this time, including a few others on the Hagley Road (there's one in particular that really should have been condemned long ago!), and I always thought the Strathallan looked like a 70s multi-storey car park when we drove past! However, we needed a fairly cheap hotel for last Saturday night, and our usual choices weren't coming up with very good prices. So we thought we'd give this a try. And we were so glad we did!

Don't be put off by the dated exterior; inside it is spotlessly clean, timelessly decorated and tastefully furnished. Service was impeccable, and we will definitely be back!

It wasn't clear from the booking website we used whether parking was free or not, and I must admit that even as we drove into the car park, we weren't sure of the cost. I left hubby in the car while I slipped down to Reception: no problem - parking is free for guests who can come in and out of the car park as many times as they wish as long as they register the car registration number at check-in. Sorted! Car parked, we were given a room on the 7th floor. I had requested a high, outside room; the corridors on each floor go around in a circle, so on one side of you the rooms face inwards, and on the other they face outwards. I hadn't expected our request for an outside room to be granted, as I assumed they'd cost more, but we did in fact get one, and it was very impressive! I'm not sure that the inside rooms would have been so spacious, but ours was probably the biggest hotel room we'd ever had in Birmingham, and by far the most luxurious!

Big windows with nets, curtains and drapes. A huge and very comfy bed with extra cushions. TV, iron and board, hairdryer. A tray with a clean kettle, plenty of tea, coffee, semi-skimmed milk cartons, and even hot chocolate and a few biscuits. Lots of storage space with plenty of hangers(there's even a thick towelling robe in the wardrobe), and plush towels and face cloths. Soap, shower gel and shampoo were also provided, as well as a scrupulously clean rubber non-slip bath mat.

I had noticed other reviewers mentioning that the windows didn't open much, which made the rooms stuffy in the hot weather; I can see how that may have been a problem, but when we were there the weather was warm without being hot, and the room was a perfect temperature and never stuffy. It was also very quiet - we weren't disturbed by noise from other guests in their rooms or by traffic noise - although with the windows open slightly, we could certainly hear the wind whistling through!

We went for a meal at the Beefeater across the road on Saturday evening; there are plenty of restaurants nearby - Ask, TGI Friday, Akbar (Indian), and a new Argentinian one (I can't remember the name but it looked nice). The Strathallan obviously had it's own restaurant and also offered room service, which looked like fairly standard prices.

We then had to drive our son back to his house, and realised as we got to the car park exit that there was a barrier down which prevented us fromn leaving! However, as we sat there wondering what to do, the barrier rose automatically, so no problems. It rose again to let us back in later - a nice bit of extra security for the car. We'd also noticed that on leaving the lift on the 7th floor, we had to insert our room key before we could get into the corridor to our rooms. Again, this made us feel very secure; there's no chance of anyone wandering in off the street (which I'm sure happens at certain other hotels nearby!).

We'd arranged to meet our son at Selly Sausage in Sellyoak for breakfast the next day, but the smell of bacon wafting out from the hotel breakfast room smelt pretty good! I think they said breakfast would have been around £8 each if we'd booked it on check-in, but more if we decided to have it on the day.

The only thing that let the hotel down very slightly was the lack of water pressure from the shower. I really wanted the shower to be a really good one, but it was just ok. Not much pressure, which was a shame. However, the bath towels were large and thick, and the lack of pressure just meant that I felt clean but not truly pampered!

When we checked out the next morning, I felt I had to check with the Reception staff that there was only meant to be one bath robe in the room - I had visions of getting a letter weeks later claiming that we'd taken one and asking us to pay for it! We said that we hadn't needed another one, but the Receptionist was very apologetic, and he explained that they only supply one per room unless someone requests another, in which case of course they would oblige. I did notice something in the room advising guests they could call Reception if they needed anything else, such as extra towels; I don't remember another bathrobe being mentioned, but the staff were so helpful that you felt they would be happy to oblige, whatever you needed. I think it may be worth the hotel making it clear from the outset that only one robe is supplied initially, as I worried that they would think we'd stolen one!!

We were really, really impressed with this hotel, and I am sure we will be back many more times in the future!

Room Tip: Outside rooms are probably bigger, but possibly inner rooms would be quieter if you wanted your wind...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
259Kevin, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and I was very pleased to read you had a lovely time and enjoyed your stay.

We do hope you stay with us again when next visiting Birmingham.

Kevin Williams

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Leicester
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Staff were very helpful and polite, my room was found easily although someone else had booked it for me in my maiden name, this was not a problem and everything was resolved quickly. The rooms were fresh and clean and I had a nice view of a play area. I enjoyed my breakfast very much and didnt feel rushed at all

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank LeicesterJudi
Dear Guest

We do hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again when next visiting Birmingham.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We were given an executive suite for our family and were very pleased with the size and amenities of the room. Our little ones had a great time playing around the room. Tea code and biscuits were nicely presented. The availability of ironing board inside cupboard was also a great feature. Would stay again should they offer the same great price!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Hmsglobal
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights recently with my wife whilst working in Birmingham. We have stayed at Menzies hotels before and been pleased with the dinner bed and breakfast deals. This time it was horrible, I checked in with an unhelpful Indian receptionist who was just trying to sell a room upgrade at £10 per night which we declined. He did not want to listen to us, just sell an upgrade. The inside room we were allocated was as small as I can ever remember staying in. There was no view out of our room other than into an internal dark hole. The bathroom was incredibly small. The rear entrance to the hotel had not been brushed for days as there were cigarette packets there from our arrival until departure. The hotel was badly managed and in our opininion did not do a good job. We eat on the first night and the food was OK but the waiting staff unhelpful, only around 10 people appeared to dine all evening, should we be surprised!
Breakfast on Sunday was a buffet which was OK but limited in offering and not what Menzies used to be. You have to collect your own tea and coffee with about four staff members watching you.
Sunday nights meal was OK and presented with a smile byJulia, the best part of the weekend!
Monday mornings breakfast was horrible, no buffet as Sunday, a full English covered in Beans, I cannot think that it was the Chef, must have been someone else to present food in this manner. They need to understand that beans is an option and not to be used like gravy!!.
We then checked out and the tall male receptionist could not care at all.
We will never be back. Menzies what are you up to? If you are out of Administration you will soon be back again again if you look after people like this.
Recmmend that you avoid, there are plenty of other nice hotels in Birmingham

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel completely.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Martyn D
Strath01, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Birmingham Strathallan, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and was sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay.
The receptionist seeing you had booked a standard double room asked you if you would like to upgrade to one of our executive doubles at a special offer price and you chose not to take this offer up, but feel from your comments left that this would have been a better option for you and would of helped you enjoy your stay.
The entrances are brushed every evening by the hotel night staff but unfortunately the bins provided are not always used.
The breakfast items provided at Menzies hotels is the same now as it was when you last stayed at a Menzies hotel and with very good feedback from our guests, I very much appreciated your comment about the beans as this was dealt with immediately and changed before you left the hotel.
We very much appreciate constructive feedback and will always do our best to act on all feedback given

Kevin Williams

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

South Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed here for one night, don't be put off by the sixties looking building as it is very modern inside. The hotel was excellent, our room was modern and very clean, staff were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay again and recommend the hotel.

1 Thank Christmaslady
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very positive comments and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, I will ensure I pass your feedback on to all the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Birmingham.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Good - Buffet Breakfast
Location - If you have a car

Bad - Service
WiFi
The Bed
The humudity in room

I had booked a room with A/C in a normal double bedroom but was tld to pay £10 extra a night if i wanted a "better room" which was the exceutove room with a bigger bed an a view. I said ok.

What I found out was that the room had no A/C and was very hot and humid in there. I had my pregnant wife with me who was very uncomfartable with this. I went downstairs later in the evening to the guy that gave me this new room to tell him that there was no A/C. He said that was only in the rooms with no view so basically the one I had already booked. He sent some fans upstairs to the room that didnt do too much.

In the early morning I also found out that the bed was not a double bed but 2 single beds put together.

In the morning after breakfast I told all of this to the new receptionist and she said that we maybe be able to change rooms but nothing came of it. I also explained to her that the WiFi was very poor as well.

I have never stayed in such a place in my entire life. The only thing that saved any of this was the buffet breakfast and its location some what.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and was very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, I believe you were offered an upgrade at £10 per night to an executive room which is a larger room on the outside of the building as the receptionist thought you may prefer this room he was not aware that you chose the room you had booked was because you required air conditioning and this was not mentioned to him at the time.
The beds a zip and link bed which can be a super king or two singles, at the time you had a super king bed and not just two beds pushed together and left.
The receptionist did check with BT Openzone as they are the provider of the WiFi to the hotel and after checking the system found all to be working correctly.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Blackburn Lancs
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed on Friday night to celebrate my birthday in a king suite, would have liked to stayed longer it was so nice. Our suite with a separate lounge from the bedroom overlooked a play school nursery garden so it was very quiet during the night. It was well worth paying the extra for more space. I think the rooms on the opposite of the corridor looked out across to the other rooms facing them. We had a 3 course dinner plus coffee or tea included in the price. The meals were really well presented and were very good. All the staff were helpful and friendly. One member even gave me a jug of fresh milk for my drinks in our room. The free car parking was also a welcome bonus. There is a bus stop right outside with many buses going into the city and various places.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor in a suite room 511. Door is set back from the corridor and the bathroom...
1 Thank edgworth
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to leave your very positive feedback on tripadvisor.

I will ensure I pass on all your comments to the staff and we hope that you will have the time to stay with us again in the future.