“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Purnell's

Purnell's
Ranked #4 of 2,192 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

Went with a group 7 ladies, we pretty much tried everything on the lunch menu between us, all very good. The Panacotta with Heather Honey was outstanding.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank didyoumakeit

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“I Love This Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

We visited Purnell's on Saturday 28 May for my sister's Birthday and it was truly amazing. We have eaten here on a couple of ocassions previously and I just think it gets better and better. From the moment you enter, until the time you leave the service is flawless and the food is stunning. Every little detail from the way the G&T is served, to the way the table crumbs are cleaned after each course is exceptional.

The Restaurant Manager JB is a true professional and provided us with some amazing wine to accompany our meal, especially after I'd given him a list of wines I didn't like! Each bottle challenged what I thought about wines and we enjoyed all 5 bottles!!

The food was outstanding and in particular the meringue dessert that just exploded in the mouth giving off the most amazing flavour.

The crowning moment of the evening was the man himself - Glynn Purnell took time out of the kitchen to come and chat to us and some other guests, and even agreed to pose for a few pictures. He is a legend!!!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“i wanted to love it but was left feeling somewhat unfulfilled”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

we went to purnells for a romantic meal and decided to splash out on the world tour with matching wines. we began our night by having drinks in the bar accompanied by a parmesan bread (a bit lacking a flavour and stale) and some olives (delicious).
we were then shown to our table. the dinning room below the neck appears to be a bland 4 star hotel lounge but at ceiling height becomes an urban warehouse with a massive metal air conditioning unit. very odd. the dinning just did not work for me.
our service throughout the night was excellent. i was wearing a silk dress and my napkins kept slidding off it, but as quickly as they could escape a waiting person would stethly dive in with gloves and tongs and replace it with a new one. so stelth were they that 90% i did not notice this performance. part waiting staff, part ninja. all very impressive save for the point i didn't really want my napkin.
the food was good as you would expect but the flavours were too 'wham, bham, thank you mam' for my liking. for example the cheese dish was just that....cheese cheese and more cheese, there was no interesting juxtaposition of flavours and became a bit much. the beef and octopus was very good...my favourite in fact.. the 'chocolate' was far too rich so when the petit fours came out i unfortunately had to nibble at the side of one and then abandon them.
wines were okay but i got excited about one of them. they 1940s sherry was sickly sweet and surprisingly when we googled it afterwards we discovered it was a very reasonable £20 a bottle. couldn't help but feeling it has just been chosen for it's age and lets be honest the sherry itself can't be worth zip as storage costs for 70 years surely exceed £20.
the staff were lovely and explained each dish but with there beautiful accents and softly spoken voices i only caught a word here and there so was left to smile and nod in an encouraging way wondering exactly we were getting next. for me i would have preferred a written pointer but i understand alot of people who fine dine like the pomp of verbal explanation.
i conclucsion the surroundings were uninspired, the food was okay, the service was good and the price was high, high, HIGH. now don't get me wrong when i saw the food was 'okay' it was clearly way better than anything a normally eat but it just didn't compare to the likes of Simpsons and way more expensive. I don't think I'll be hurrying back.

2 Thank LittleMissGreedy
Telford, United Kingdom
“An evening to remember”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

Excellent restaurant, definitely worth a visit. The atmosphere was very relaxed and in no way 'stuffy' or overly formal as I expected, the service was faultless and the food was deliciously fresh and very tasty. The wine prices were expensive as I expected but there is a wide range to choose from. The market menu is excellent value, the portion sizes are perfect and the food was extremely well cooked. Gynn even found time to stop and chat on his way out after a busy service which, being big fans, made our evening.

England
“superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

had the 8 course 'purnells tour'. every course amazing, a fantastic journey made possible by a truly talented chef. Service impecable, they didn't put a foot wrong. Lovely atmosphere, very relaxed. Excellent value for money when taking the food, service and overall dining experience into account. Glynn even made time to allow us into his kitchen for a chat and some pictures as it was my other half's birthday. Such a lovely, down to earth guy! Can't wait to go back. Look out for Glynn on Saturday kitchen soon