“A wonderful experience”

Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The most incredible culinary experience. We went for the taster menu and were thrilled from start to finish. Found the decor a little peculiar, but perfectly comfortable. Atmosphere was good, helped by the warm welcome and fine service you get from the staff. A fantastic treat.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,546)

Reviewed 9 June 2011

We went to Purnells for the second time, but the first time since being awarded his first star. I can safely say that this is the best meal my taste buds have had the pleasure of tasting! Glynn himself was there and I found the staff to be really plesant and not 'stuck up' like some restaurants can be. We were made to feel very welcome and treated as top noch guests. We had teh 8 course taster menu and a bottle of Chille Rose Wine. Each of the 8 course where outstanding, I couldnt believe that here were so many wonderful flavours in one mouthful! Glynns 10-10-10 egg was fabulous for the GBM followers! We were there for 4 hours and had a great night, if only we could afford to eat there all the time!

Reviewed 8 June 2011

I had always wanted to visit Purnell's and it didn't let me down one little bit! The restaurant itself was contemporary without being pompous! The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was fantastic! It's difficult to describe in words how good the food was......just wonderful!!!!! The wine list was a little pricey but that was to be expected i suppose.....it wasn't ridiculous though!
I would definitely visit Purnell's again....hopefully soon!!!!!!

Reviewed 6 June 2011

This is the second time we have treated ourselves to Purnells (April 2011 and July 2009) and it didn't disappoint. Again we had the Taster Menu and whilst the majority of the dishes were the same or very similar to our previous experience, there were some new additions. All courses were absolutely fabulous - just sublime in terms of taste and the eating experience!! I am a real fan of the egg yolk, smoked haddock foam, curry oil and cornflakes which is the first course - divine! The restaurant has a chilled atmosphere and the staff are very attentive, polite and unintrusive. It is certainly not a stuffy place. Hubby also had the matching wine tour which was incredible - the sommelier spent time explaining the wine choices and he does an excellent job!
All in all we had a marvellous evening - very relaxed and spent over 2 hours eating our way through the taster tour. Would definitely recommend it to others wanting a treat - it is not cheap but neither is it overpriced in my opinion for the quality of the food and dining experience. The only downside was that we didn't see Glyn as I know he does pop in from the kitchen - maybe next time?!

Reviewed 5 June 2011

Glynn Purnell is undoubtably one of the top young chefs in the country, this visit was no different to all the previous visits and by that I mean WOW. Glynn and his team presents food that looks too good to eat, his ideas are from another planet and leaves most of his contemporaries back on planet Earth. And the flavours stand out, yet each dish tastes as it should so crisp and clean. Glynn has worked along side some of the top chefs in Britain and Europe and it now shows in his own style of cooking . I will re-visit soon enough (probably have to book a couple of months in advance). Would i recomend a visit to Purnells, what do you think?