“As good as the hype ”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
“As good as the hype ”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

One of the greatest pleasures of eating out is finding a hidden gem, or being unexpectedly delighted. This is a problem for this place as you expect it to be the best and you accept its big money.
Which actually makes it even more sensational as they know they MUST perform, time after time.
And they do!
There is no equal in Birmingham. Nothing gets close. You're dining at one of THE top tables of Europe when you dine here. It's that good. Awesome, in fact. Glynn purnell. Thanks for being a brummie!!

Midlands
“Wine equally good to the food!”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I was taken to Purnell's for a birthday treat on Saturday 5th April. We were greeted immediately and the experience started at high level. After a drinks before hand we decided upon the Reminisce tasting menu with the wine flight for my fiancé and the Champagne Krug flight for myself. We were not disappointed by the recommendations. The food was fantastic, presented in imaginative ways. The wine was equally as good and we can quite honestly say the best we've ever tasted. I would definitely recommend anyone to try these flights with their meals as these are such an experience to accompany the superb food. One course was not to my taste. After trying I decided to leave it. The staff were so attentive and quickly asked if there was a problem and if would I like to choose something else. I decided not to as my fiancé did really enjoy the course but it simply wasn't to my taste. I think the staff were so good how they reacted, trying everything possible to make the customer happy and not disappointed.
Our experience was fantastic however at the end of our meal we were not asked if we would like the Cheese course of which my fiancé wanted as he is a huge cheese lover. We were left completely by the staff and not asked if we wanted more drinks and not spoken to at all. I think as we had a 7pm sitting the staff who had been fantastic throughout concentrated on the other guests later to arrive. This left the end of our experience a little flat as we may have continued with a Whisky or Brandy which we could see close by to us and was calling our name! Shame as It was a huge contrast to the attentiveness we'd had throughout.
We will return one day despite the end of the meal as 98% of the experience was outstanding. Great staff, decor, food and drink what more would you wish for from a restaurant?

2 Thank nastykat
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Best Food in Birmingham”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Birthday treat for my husband, we had the Reminisce tasting menu, enjoyed every mouthful. Some old favourites which have updated and improved, it was really excellent. Loads of staff providing very good service. A very pleasant evening. Thank you.

Rugby
“tasting food and wine menu”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We had a very good lunch experience at Purnell last week. The staff are plentiful, attentive, but without being intrusive. the tasting menu was full of little surprises and the flight menu for the wine was really interesting. We did go a bit mad and have the £95/ person wine menu if only to find out what £390 bottle of champagne does taste like. Would definitely recommend Purnell's even though the chef is a 'blue nose' and I'm a season ticket holder at Aston Villa!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Simply OUTSTANDING!”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

By far the best meal out I have ever had! (and I have been to a few) We had the 12 course menu and each and every course was just perfect and so tasty. Everything about our experience was next to none. I cant wait to return and VERY SOON! Thank you Pernells for a lovely evening. A birthday treat I will never forget.

• Visited March 2014