“Put it on the bucket list!”
Review of Purnell's

Purnell's
Ranked #8 of 2,279 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Being my first Full Michelin Starred Tasting Menu, and wanting the full experience we went 'all out' and selected the modern day 12 course tasting menu with premium accompanying wines at a total cost of around £200 per person- Significantly more than I normally spend.
I'm not a knowledgeable foodie, not into pretentious fluff and not a big fish eater. Having explained this to a member of staff he assured us the menu is about enjoyment and assisted us with the menu, recommended swapping out the crab and provided a tasty alternative, whilst leaving the meatier fish on the menu (including eels, which I never thought I would eat). Later in the night I even discovered my wine selection had been modified by the excellent Sommelier to suit.
At this point we entered the main restaurant. Pleasant room, but not as breathtaking as the service. The first course came, along with the wine (along with a detailed description by the Sommelier). All very tasty, but why the high cost? Then the second type of wine, an another course.. really enjoying this, more courses.. feeling the tastes and smells as described by the Sommelier and how it compliments each course. I’m a foodie!! Another wine, with salty tones as its produced on the coast in wooden casks(?).. mixing perfectly with the meaty eels I would never have dreamt about eating before. For those of you wondering whether 'carefully selected accompanying wines' makes a difference- one of our scrumptious first wines was left unfinished, forgotten about and lonely on the table, when noticed, near the end of the meal, we did the honorable thing and finished it off- it tasted terrible- wrong wine, with the wrong course- although, I’ve always appreciated a tasty bottle of wine --my eyes have been truly opened!

How many course through the twelve are we? Does this have to end?, we ask.
Unfortunately, we reached the bad bit, paid the bill and left satisfied that, although we wouldn't be going often, we would be again as Purnell’s' didn't provide a wonderful meal, they delivered a sensational experience worth paying the ( hefty) premium for, though not the 12.5 percent service charge- I would have rather left a deserved generous cash tip!

1  Thank badflaw
There are newer reviews for Purnell's

Reviewed 17 April 2014

As a vegetarian and someone who has an aversion to all things containing fennel I was a little concerned when my husband had booked a table at Purnells last night. The new 'Now' menu stated they didn't have a separate veggie menu and it looked very fennel heavy!
However my fears were soon gone. The maître 'd was wonderful and couldn't have been more attentive. The twelve courses were amazing, instead of pigs heads, lamb and liquorice I was treated to beetroot sorbet, wild mushrooms pickled vegetables and rubharb and custard served in three ways just to name a few.
The food kept coming, and it was exceptional. At £85 per person for 12 courses I think it was well worth trying even with my fussy foibles! As for anyone who enjoys meat and fish you most definitely won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Cathryn A
Reviewed 16 April 2014

i've enjoyed many meals at this restaurant and always leave happy, the slight down side for me i dont think its good value for money. never the less i will return,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I do not travel to Birmingham very often nowadays but when I do the first restaurant I visit is Purnell's. In this case my wife was with me and it was her first visit and she really enjoyed it as well.

It has to be said that it is London pricing but in our opinion it is worth every penny for the food. However, we felt the wine paring at £120 for 5 70ml glasses each was a tad expensive. This works out at over £120 a bottle which is to much for us. We therefore did our own wine paring by choosing from the 'wine by the glass' list. This worked out much better value.

We believe that staff make or break a restaurant and the ones here have obviously been very well trained.

We will return!

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

One of the greatest pleasures of eating out is finding a hidden gem, or being unexpectedly delighted. This is a problem for this place as you expect it to be the best and you accept its big money.
Which actually makes it even more sensational as they know they MUST perform, time after time.
And they do!
There is no equal in Birmingham. Nothing gets close. You're dining at one of THE top tables of Europe when you dine here. It's that good. Awesome, in fact. Glynn purnell. Thanks for being a brummie!!