“Wonderful Food”

Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Reviewed 6 May 2014

On friday 2nd May, me and my wife went to Purnell's to celebrate my birthday.

We both had the 12 course taster menu, each course was wonderful, including the bread (never thought I would say that). From the potato first up to the lemon meringue pie the last, each course was immaculate, tasted amazing.

We also met Glynn which was unexpected bonus, personally, it was the first time to Purnell's and he treated us the exact same way he treated his regulars, which was pleasing

I would recommend this to anyone and everyone

1  Thank Alan S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,566)

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Excellent food, well timed delivery, interesting conceptual dynamic to some courses.

We had the 12 course taster menu....I didn't like a couple, but that was down to my preference, not the quality of either food or service.

Exactly what I would expect to see in a restaurant of this quality.

1  Thank martin n
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Sorry I’m a little late reviewing this place; I’d tried to forget, but I can’t shake off the poor memory.

I took American clients here last year for the 12 course tasting menu. Additionally we paid for the basic wine pairing package.

In short some of the food is interesting, but some of it just simply doesn’t work for me. The tastes of some courses appeared to be difficult/mis-matched for the sake of it; seasoning and textures not to my taste. One course was described as “ironic” by the server; personally I’m looking for taste rather than irony in my food. Technically the construction of many dishes is breath-taking, but that doesn’t complete a meal for me.

However, far worse than the food; which could be argued is a personal taste thing, was the service and setting. The room is dull, almost industrial like and has no warmth or sumptuousness that I’m certainly look for when putting £600 into dinner for three.

The staff were predominately very young and clearly inexperienced. Only a few spoke properly (and I’m not talking about regional accents here, rather clear pronunciation) and could not be heard by all three at the table; I had to rely most things said to my American visitors. Mumbling explanations and little to no eye contact were followed more often than not by a waiter dashing off. It was reminiscent of one of the young offender staffed places; which I have no problem with, but not at these 1 Michelin Star prices.

I’d not hurry back.

5  Thank KnightGuest
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our second visit to Purnells and, once again, it was a fantastic dining experience. The service is pitched perfectly, combining faultless attention to detail with just the right amount of informality to suit the modern diner. The food was exceptional, including monkfish masala, carpaccio of beef and octopus. Everything is packed with flavour, beautifully presented but with just the right amount of lightness of touch and humour that you would expect from Glynn Purnell. We were both sighing and urging each other to try elements of each dish, always a sign that this a special meal. The restaurant is not cheap, nor should it be. It reflects the pricing of other Michelin Starred venues that we've eaten in. The market will always determine the price, anyway. The food is some of the best around. The service is exceptional and the restaurant is deservedly up there with the very best. Birmingham is rightly proud of it. A message to the good people at Michelin. Where's the second star?

2  Thank NiallJanet
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Having followed mr Purnell since the early days of Jessica's we find that his food/menus
go from strength to strength. Having Dined at lunch today we wonder why this chef has only one star surely two are in the offing, not one course disappointed
And it was ever thus,food delicious, front of house delightful, this restaurant grows and blossoms thank you for today

2  Thank Monica W