“First timers !”

Price range: US$19 - US$26
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The Purple Rooms was founded in 1988 by Faizur Choudhury MBE. After the initial tough period things began to progress and the restaurant swiftly moved upwards. TPR now stands as the oldest, the most respected and the most loved ‘Indian’ establishment in the surrounding areas. It has been running successfully for almost 25 years and continues to be run by the same family......"In 1988, my father felt the south-east region of Birmingham lacked an exquisite Indian restaurant, so here we are; The Purple Rooms. The aim was to please in every sense and to create a dining experience like no other; to have traditional cuisines in a comfortable home-like atmosphere..My aim, is exactly the same. As well as fundamentally pleasing my clients and ensuring they have an extraordinary dining experience, I want to bring a sense of enthusiasm and passion to the Indian trade. I feel that the UK curry industry overall has changed over a number of years, and things have somewhat come to a standstill. Innovation does not mean removing basic principles of Indian dining..." H Choudhury CeRBCB
brum in paris
“First timers !”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Ate here for the first time last night and was extremely impressed. The food was excellent, fresh , tasty and well presented. The staff were attentive and happy to advise us as to which dishes were appropriate to our tastes. Will definitely return here in the not too distant future !!

• Visited July 2014
ThePURPLER00MS, Owner at The Purple Rooms, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Shaziou,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback/comments. We really appreciate it :)!

Its always lovely to see new faces and come across people who haven't tried our establishment.

Please follow us on fb to keep up-to-date with offers & promotions :)

We hope to see you soon.

Regards,
H

“Great food”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Popped in on the 3 July 2014 ... The food was outstanding 5***** from start to finish everything was 1st class great staff & restaurant was spotless clean will definitely be going there again price was great as well 2 eating with drinks was £30 great value for money well guys

ThePURPLER00MS, Manager at The Purple Rooms, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you for your kind comments. We try our very best in providing excellent food and service. Our Monday & Thursday £9.95 offer is a great deal and we pack as much in it as we possibly can!

Please visit us soon again!

TPR team
Birmingham, UK
“Purple Patch”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was one of TPR's first customers when it opened its doors way back in 1988 and used it regularly after that; then I moved away from the area. Now, having moved back, I have used TPR many times since.

It is unusual these days to find a restaurant that opened so long ago, still to be in the same family ownership [having now passed from father -Faiz Choudhury- to his son, Harry] as many seem to change ownership every 5 minutes.

I am happy to report that this restaurant is every bit as good as it was when it first opened 26 years ago ... In fact, I think that it is even better now than when it first opened!

Everything here is cooked from fresh and you will be hard pressed to find a better 'Indian' meal within the surrounding area. The service is friendly and courteous, nothing seems to be too much trouble to ensure that you have a good meal here ... If you haven't tried TPR yet then you really should. You won't be disappointed.

Well done Harry for keeping up all your father's hard work and keeping The Purple Rooms tradition going. I am sure that your father is very proud of you. I look forward to visiting you again soon.

- Colin.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank nilocrm
ThePURPLER00MS, Owner at The Purple Rooms, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Hi Colin,

Thank you for taking your valuable time out to write such a lovely review. We appreciate your kind comments.

We are proud to be the oldest Indian establishment in the surrounding areas and it is a shame to see so many come and go. We work extremely hard, personally and as a team to ensure every customer has a pleasant experience. We try to take on constructive comments to make things that touch better where needed.

I have made a considerable amount of changes in the last three/four years, most of which were needed. My passion and drive for the Indian Catering trade only makes me work harder.

We hope to see you in the near future so you may enjoy some more wonderful dishes :)

Kind regards,
H
“Last visit”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I had a very quiet visit to this restaurant tonight with my family. Food was reasonably good. Service was slow and portion sizes were on the small side. The visit was completely spoilt by a problem with the bill. I was overcharged and staff would not correct and seemed happy to lose my future custom. Luckily for me I have plenty of others locally to choose from!

4 Thank Dave W
ThePURPLER00MS, Manager at The Purple Rooms, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dave,

We always find it disappointing to read such comments and reviews which do not reflect our restaurant, better still not even the full story.

We recall that you came on Father's Day Sunday with a large table without making any bookings. You happily enjoyed our food and service and made no complaint during the evening regarding those factors, instead complimented us when asked.... HOWEVER, near the end of your meal you asked one of our staff if you could use a 'Gourmet Card' for discount. We did refused based on three factors; 1. no prior booking was made 2. there was no mentioning of the discount card 3. on special days such as fathers day we do not accept discount cards.
Seeing as though you were oblivious to this fact, as a gesture of goodwill we let you use your gourmet card discount (2-4-1 on MAIN).
When the bill was presented you suddenly wanted to use 2 Gourmet cards knowing well that 1 was allowed as a good gesture.
Before you left you said that you wouldn't be dining at TPR again purely on the basis we didn't give you a TWO free curry. I'm sorry Dave but we're not here to giveaway freebies or lose business to bullies. We've been here for 26 years, people pay good money for our great food and service. Its a shame that you couldn't accept our good gesture which we didn't even have to do for you.

Please do not say we 'overcharged' you as you know this is far from the truth!

There may be plenty of more restaurants around, you're right... but it's a shame they're closing down everyday due to people taking advantage.

We stick to our rules and do what's right for both the customer and business. We did not overcharge you, if anything you had one FREE curry...

We apologise in advance for any readers who have been disappointed with the above review. We can assure it is far from the truth and sheerly unlawful bitterness.

Luke
Restaurant Manager
Solihull, United Kingdom
“The BEST Indian Meal EVER!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

One MUST have the Prawn Palogjee, it is the BEST meal I have ever had in an Indian Restaurant.
It is the creation of the owner Faiz Choudhury, Harry, who runs it now is his Son.
The Service is of the same High Standard and Nothing is too much trouble for them.
Pauline & Mike Toms

• Visited June 2014
ThePURPLER00MS, Owner at The Purple Rooms, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
To Mr & Mrs Toms,

As you mentioned; nothing is too much trouble for us. You're right, nothing is too much trouble, and nothing should be. At TPR we really pride ourselves on quality of food and service. We have the same old faces at the back and front of the restaurant. We try to ensure every experience is a wonderful one.

We endeavour to continue with our hard work and dedication to make sure the standard of service and food at The Purple Rooms is faultless.

See you soon on Sunday Lunch!

Regards,