“Dim sum... yum yum”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We popped in for some lunch, we were seated within a minute, the place was very busy (a lot of oriental people seated, a good sign the food is nice) 7 of us ordered, the dim sum was ordered via a tick sheet (this could be improved if English was written next to the dishes (for the non-chinese readers) you can improvise by looking at a separet laminate sheet which has the dishes in both English and chinese description but is also numbered, the number coincides with this dim sum tick sheet) we ordered several Dim sum and several Mains all of which were very tasty, the issue we had was when we wanted to order extra dishes, maybe it was one particular waitress but she lacked in the English language and didn't understand what we wanted, she had to call a colleague over to assist. The same thing happened when we decided to order a take-out for a friend who couldn't make it to the restaurant, it was weird as this waitress was fine in telling us that one of the dishes we ordered, had in-fact sold out, her English seemed fine then. (lacking in communication with the cashier, as this dish was not removed from our final bill) as stated before the food was tasty, usually having eaten Chinese food I find myself feeling thirsty for the remainder of the day due to large amounts of MSG used in cooking, but I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't get this with China Court, will be returning next time I visit Birmingham.

1  Thank HungaryGiant

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I visited China Court on a Sunday around 5pm. Having waited 20mins for the waiter to come to the table and ask for our drinks order yet we were simply greeted by the waiter with a "what do you want". My bean curd was uncooked and tasted raw. The chicken tasted like frozen and processed chicken. Later I encountered an unchewable hard piece in my mouth as I took in a spoonful of rice and chicken hot pot. Once I complained about this I was refunded the cost of the hot pot but not the rice! Restaurant manager looked and spoke in an angry manner,intimidating me and friends. Exited the restaurant feeling disgusted with the food hygiene and quality, and was still feeling hungry. Beside jokes, would've been happier with a McDonald's. This failing business scores a big 'F'.

1  Thank RND123
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Ok, so me and a friend went to this restaurant today..the service is by far the poorest we've ever received at a restaurant, arrogant rude waiter! They p'd me off when I asked for water they never gave me any, had to ask 2 times!! Then, my food comes With a nasty stone in it, no apology! The restaurant was dead, went around 6pm. Food quality POOR, I'd give this place a big fat 0!!! Never ever again, you've been warned!

4  Thank PreciousFaith
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My youngest just turned one, two weeks ago. As a working father, I couldn't find time to cook or bake even on special occasions. So what I normally do is find a caterer to do the job. This time, I wanted to bake a cake for my daughter since it’s her first birthday. But no matter what I do, I couldn't squeeze in any time for baking. So I just decided to look for a bake shop for her cake needs.

Fortunately, my neighbour recommended a place just in the city centre, although a bit far from my workplace. I went to the China Court Restaurant to place my cake order. I was very happy to know that they are not requiring any limit on their orders, although I intended to get 3 whole pieces. They assured me of the freshest ingredients so I need not worry. Plus, they assured me of on-time pick up from the bakery. Surely, they didn't disappoint me at all!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I've never been there for an evening meal, but the dimsum during the day is awesome - no other word to describe it. Love it, love it, love it!

1  Thank Kaye L