“Excellent service let down by the non-gourmet food”

Gourmet Burger Kitchen (Birmingham the Mailbox)
Ranked #360 of 2,309 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: Barbecue, New Zealand
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Description: Serving up gourmet burgers in the UK since 2001. Offering a variety of delicious burgers, homemade sauces and seriously good milkshakes.
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Visited GBK at The Mailbox for an evening meal on 12/04/14 and I can't say I was so impressed I would return. The restaurant represented more of a canteen rather than a restaurant, with as many small wooden tables crammed into quite a large space. Also, due to it being Saturday night evening rush you were surrounded by other eaters (who seemed so close to you they may as well be on your table) which made it difficult to speak to the people I was with because of all the background noise. As for the food, I had a classic beef burger with guacamole, bacon, tomato and lettuce with a side of chunky chips. My meal came to £12.20 without drinks, which is a suitable price for gourmet food (it was a shame the food didn't live up to its label). The burger seemed pretty thin (but was 100% British Beef) and the bacon was burnt. On the other hand, the chips were really nice, warm, crisp and tasted even better with the Hei Hei Salt. The service was exceptional as well. We waited less than 10 minutes for our food to arrive, the waiters/waitresses checked our table regularly and the table was cleared instantly after leaving the restaurant. The overall experience was average, but I doubt I will return to GBK in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Myself and my wife visited the mailbox without knowing where we would eat, we chose here and enjoyed it, i had never been to a gourmet burger kitchen before, I had the 'Taxi Driver' beef burger and my wife had the Satay breadcrumbed chicken burger.
I was surprised that the burger does not come with anything on the side and these have to be ordered separately, we ordered some skin on fires and some sweet potato fries which came in a very small pot and cost £4 which i though extremely dear!

The staff were very polite and the premises was very clean and has a nice decor.

In total the meal came to over £35 which I thought expensive, but the burgers were nice and we would return for a treat! we are going to give the Handmade Burger Co in Brindley Place a try next time.

1  Thank ste451
Reviewed 17 March 2014

had lovely food here. I had chicken burger, I couldn't decide if I wanted crumbed one or chargrilled, girl at till recommended chargrilled and it was so nice. Husband had smoky barbeque burger with chips with skins. Service was quick, menu was explained, ale and the strawberry & elderflower fizz was nice. Free refills for fizz was very welcomed as I was so thirsty. Overall excellent food, drink and service.

1  Thank Bel775
Reviewed 14 March 2014

First time we'd been here and will definately return, Staff are very friendly and ever so helpful.
Good selection of Burgers, we had the taxi driver that was beef and came with salad, onion ring, pickle and chilli mayo on a brioche bun. Very tasty, home made slaw is the best i've ever tasted, very simple but works. Some people may consider it a bit priced for burger and chips but you get what you pay for. Comfortable seating, nice retro american diner with brilliant atmosphere.

1  Thank pieman2013
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Our very first time at GBK - stopped off for a meal before a concert at Symphony Hall, and were we glad we did!
The young lady who greeted us at the door was warm and welcoming, and genuinely seemed pleased to see us. We loved the food, the concept of the place and the ambience - but the overwhelming plus of this place are the brilliant staff! Be very proud of them GBK Birmingham! Real, smiling and just great young people who really made our evening such an enjoyable one. We will be back soon, for sure, so make sure you don't change a single thing! Thanks everyone!