“Really good” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #374 of 2,185 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: American, British
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Ladywood
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Really good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Best burger I have had.
Open kitchen so you can see the food being cooked. The menu was extensive with a good choice. The burger was very tasty, moist and I finished it off very quickly. Bun was fresh. I had onion rings as well which were great.
I will definitely go back.
Staff very good - friendly

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Simon K

Southport
“A really pleasant surprise, lovely evening!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Staying in Birmingham for a conference I had brought my hubby along for company. On the last night we walked along the canal to the Mailbox and chose GBK for our meal. I have been once but many moons ago and have never been to any of their other sites. I expected to pay top whack for the food and the drinks but was really pleasantly surprised - especially with the drinks prices.

I chose the Chili Chicken Salad and hubby had one of the burgers with a side of onion rings and we both went for the bottomless Bottlegreen cordials - at £2.45 the drinks were the star of the night! We went for ginger and lemongrass initially and the drinks came presented in a large glass with ice and had mint leaves and fruit muddled in them - top quality! We only had one refill and went for the strawberry and lime option, also very tasty.

Paul's burger and onion rings were apparently very good and my salad was delicious - my only niggle being that for a main course they should pack the salad - it was a bit meagre. I hate that in restaurants ... I was more than happy with the chicken and the dressings etc but it just needed more leaves and the 'cheap stuff' to bulk it up.

The other star of the night was the free monkey nuts you can help yourselves too - we had shell everywhere but it didn't seem to matter, the staff were very friendly even though it was very busy.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank SunshineSukie
Rochdale, United Kingdom
“Excellent service let down by the non-gourmet food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Visited GBK at The Mailbox for an evening meal on 12/04/14 and I can't say I was so impressed I would return. The restaurant represented more of a canteen rather than a restaurant, with as many small wooden tables crammed into quite a large space. Also, due to it being Saturday night evening rush you were surrounded by other eaters (who seemed so close to you they may as well be on your table) which made it difficult to speak to the people I was with because of all the background noise. As for the food, I had a classic beef burger with guacamole, bacon, tomato and lettuce with a side of chunky chips. My meal came to £12.20 without drinks, which is a suitable price for gourmet food (it was a shame the food didn't live up to its label). The burger seemed pretty thin (but was 100% British Beef) and the bacon was burnt. On the other hand, the chips were really nice, warm, crisp and tasted even better with the Hei Hei Salt. The service was exceptional as well. We waited less than 10 minutes for our food to arrive, the waiters/waitresses checked our table regularly and the table was cleared instantly after leaving the restaurant. The overall experience was average, but I doubt I will return to GBK in the future.

Walsall, England
“First time at a GBK, enjoyable experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Myself and my wife visited the mailbox without knowing where we would eat, we chose here and enjoyed it, i had never been to a gourmet burger kitchen before, I had the 'Taxi Driver' beef burger and my wife had the Satay breadcrumbed chicken burger.
I was surprised that the burger does not come with anything on the side and these have to be ordered separately, we ordered some skin on fires and some sweet potato fries which came in a very small pot and cost £4 which i though extremely dear!

The staff were very polite and the premises was very clean and has a nice decor.

In total the meal came to over £35 which I thought expensive, but the burgers were nice and we would return for a treat! we are going to give the Handmade Burger Co in Brindley Place a try next time.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ste451
Donegal Town, Ireland
“great food (& ale according to husband)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

had lovely food here. I had chicken burger, I couldn't decide if I wanted crumbed one or chargrilled, girl at till recommended chargrilled and it was so nice. Husband had smoky barbeque burger with chips with skins. Service was quick, menu was explained, ale and the strawberry & elderflower fizz was nice. Free refills for fizz was very welcomed as I was so thirsty. Overall excellent food, drink and service.

Visited March 2014