“Quick stay, good stay”

Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Quick stay, good stay”
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I was only here overnight and for a conference, but I found the hotel to be pleasant and friendly. I didn't pay for it, so I've no idea if it represented value, but I would have happily paid a fair price.

Several reviews have commented on the rooms being small - I didn't find this to be the case. I found the hotel had, if anything, too much space, which did mean at times it was confusing to find things through the twisty corridors.

The rooms were tidy, well presented, well lit. All were supllied with WiFi and wired connections which, over the University network, performed well. We did have some issues during the conference as the wifi kicked us out as we moved around rooms, then sometimes gave trouble re-connecting. But when it worked, it worked very well indeed.

The conference area, which doubles as the bar area, had soft drinks and tea and coffee on tap - I'm not sure if that specific to our conference, but it was most welcome.

The breakfast was excellent. As all buffet breakfasts do, it suffered a bit from "been standing there too long" syndrome, but it was all filling and the choice was great, even for a vegetarian and, as an extra brownie point in terms of the latter, the meat and non-meat products were entirely separate...first time I've seen that.

The catered buffet lunch was gobbled with gusto as I was busy, but was well above average, as were the cakes and buns supplied in intermissions.

Excellent impression and excellent venue....but I've no idea of the value

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
warwickconferences, General Manager at Scarman Training and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comprehensive review on Scarman. I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay and found our venue pleasant and friendly.
Your comments regarding breakfast have been passed back to our team and I am pleased you found our offering ‘excellent’.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Scarman soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sheffield
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I have stayed here twice for work-related courses, the most recent occasion being in December 2011. On the positive side, the rooms are clean and pleasant and of more than adequate size for one person. The staff at reception are very friendly and go out of their way to be helpful. Also, the choice of snacks available in the lounge is excellent, with plenty of 'healthy' options. If you are lucky and your conference includes it (as my first one did), the cafeteria -style lunch is also very good, with again lots of choice.

My main complaint would be about the evening meals. The food is very well presented, in fine-dining style, but the portions are miniscule and the meals are virtually vegetable-free. It's a minor point, but the menu mentions that when having cheese and biscuits, it is possible to opt for lower fat cheeses, but my request for this option was met by blank looks.

Still, I know that I will be returning next year and the prospect doesn't fill me with dread, but I may request basic but filling meals from room service, even though I will be paying for them myself.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and feedback. I am delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and found the rooms to be of a more than adequate size.
With regards to your feedback about the evening meals, I have taken your comments back to my team and as a result we have increased the selection of bar meals, as an alternative to the restaurant dining option.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope you again have a pleasant stay.
Essex
Reviewed 7 December 2009

I found myself at Scarman House whilst taking exams with Warwick Business School. The rooms are small and basic (smaller than Travel-lodge but of the same standard) and not good value for money. The leaflet in the room refers to a fridge - but there isn't one in my room.

The restaurant says they have award winning chefs - but I am guessing the awards arent cookery awards after my (just abandoned) evening meal. They were very quiet, but I thought that should have helped. The food was very average, cold starters arrived in around 90 seconds, followed by the main course swiftly afterwards, including mushy cauliflower and hard potatoes - reminded me of hospital food!

Dessert was disgusting and was left on the table hardly touched.

On the positive side, it is a great location for my conference / exams and the rooms were clean.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank T4Tinkerbell
Ipswich
Reviewed 27 April 2008

I stayed at Scarman House which I had booked through the exam board OCR and was due to take part in a very boring course about marking exam papers online.

Scarman House is a conference hotel - I don't think you can book directly and stay there for leisure purposes. It was easy to find with plenty of parking and check-in was very easy.

However it is quite expensive - it cost £90+ for bed and breakfast. Breakfast was a buffet affair which was excellent and you could eat as much as you wished - and food was very good. Unfortunately the rooms are not special. The beds were small and the room very hot. You also have to lock the room from the outside when you leave as the doors don't lock automatically which I found strange.

A very average hotel.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — The tiny bed
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank vicki1978