“Good in part”

Price range: US$7 - US$47
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: At the Blue Bistro restaurant we offer a fabulous menu featuring modern British cuisine with a Mediterranean twist, based upon great, preferably local, seasonal ingredients, ethically sourced and cooked with passion. Despite the quality of our food, it is still possible to lunch at Blue for a fiver. Awards include the Warwickshire & Worcestershire Life Food & Drink Newcomer of the Year 2012 and an OpenTable Diners Award as one of the top ten most romantic restaurants in the UK and Ireland. The dining area at Blue covers two floors of a beautiful medieval building dating back to 1450, the exposed beams of which are complemented by striking wooden furniture to create an elegant ambiance and a unique dining experience. The building was formerly a pub called the Green Dragon - reputedly the model for the inn featured in George Eliot's Middlemarch.The restaurant is situated on the historic Spon Street, in Coventry City Centre, an easy walk from the Belgrade Theatre, the Skydome and its Odeon cinema, Ikea and, of course, Coventry Cathedral.We have good disabled facilities, but if you have mobility issues please let us know to ensure that your table is not upstairs!Unlike many restaurants, we are happy to welcome children.
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We had lunch this week after exploring Spon street. The decor is really unusual and comfortable. The lunch time menu is excellent and really good value. The staff were very nice, the food was gorgeous and my gin and tonic was wonderful - however! There was only one other customer there when we arrived as a group of four and two people arrived about 20 minutes after us. We waited an hour for our food and no explanation was offered. Also the sweet onion soup ordered was mushroom on arrival again with no explanation. We were given complimentary coffees without asking as an apology for the wait. This was a nice gesture but I am just glad it wasn't any busier. We would probably still be there! I would go back.

2  Thank MAXINEOxford

Reviewed 19 October 2013

3rd trip to blue bistro and best yet. Excellent food with great service, very reasonably priced and awesome coffee.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

This is the first time we had been since the ownership changed. We went early as we were going to the Skeptics in the pub event they were holding upstairs (which was fab).
Unfortunately we had three issues.
1) despite there being very few people in the restaurant, and we were only a group of 4, the food took 45 minutes to arrive.
2) the main portions were barely adequate for a starter. I had risotto which was adequate but the chicken and seafood gnocchi were tiny. There were less than 8 gnocchi per plate, plus a small piece of chicken or approximately 4 mouthfuls of seafood. This was doubly disappointing as the taste of the food was lovely!
3) when we decided to complain (before eating any of it) the first waitress seemed to understand the issue, but referred it to another waiter who didn't apologise or offer a solution, other than asking if we wanted to eat. Finally when we went to pay, we offered to pay half ( the main courses cost £11 ) but the manager refused on the basis they had never had a complaint before so the problem was ours not theirs. She did take 15% off the bill, but this meant we still paid over £9 for a meal that left us all hungry.

I have never written a negative review before, because I believe in speaking the business directly but as we tried that and got nowhere I feel we have no choice.

I can forgive 1 and 2 as everywhere gets it wrong sometimes, but 3 is inexcusable. To have such a poor attitude when politely presented with an issue will lose customers.

We won't eat there again and will discourage others from doing so.

3  Thank Kangaroodee
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This authentic medieval house has complimented it's living history with exquisite tables and chairs. The food was delicious but it was the service that really impressed. They could not have been more attentive.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Visited Blue Bistro (BB) for the first time last night and have to say its one of the best restaurants in Coventry, and definitely the best in the city centre. I've walked past it many times, under different names, but it never seemed to be that busy which is surprising considering how nice it is inside.

The decor is beautiful and fits the location perfectly. Spon Street is Coventry's historic street and the uncovered beams and chunky wooden tables fit the location perfectly. While I was there with a friend, it's definitely would be a romantic setting for couples.

The good was very reasonably priced and the menu on the bestie was exactly what was put on the table. I had the goats cheese parfait followed by steak which were both excellent. I asked for my steak medium rare...and that's what I got!

Having eaten out the night before at a place with awful service it was nice to return somewhere where they take pride in serving their customers. We were made to feel welcome, the (pretty!) waitress served with a smile and at one point she apologised for the delay in the food, even though we'd hardly been waiting very long at all! With such a nice atmosphere waiting was fine.

So thoroughly enjoyed my first visit and can't wait for my second.