“Lovely food and exceptional service”
Review of Blue Bistro - CLOSED

Blue Bistro
Price range: US$7 - US$46
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: At the Blue Bistro restaurant we offer a fabulous menu featuring modern British cuisine with a Mediterranean twist, based upon great, preferably local, seasonal ingredients, ethically sourced and cooked with passion. Despite the quality of our food, it is still possible to lunch at Blue for a fiver. Awards include the Warwickshire & Worcestershire Life Food & Drink Newcomer of the Year 2012 and an OpenTable Diners Award as one of the top ten most romantic restaurants in the UK and Ireland. The dining area at Blue covers two floors of a beautiful medieval building dating back to 1450, the exposed beams of which are complemented by striking wooden furniture to create an elegant ambiance and a unique dining experience. The building was formerly a pub called the Green Dragon - reputedly the model for the inn featured in George Eliot's Middlemarch.The restaurant is situated on the historic Spon Street, in Coventry City Centre, an easy walk from the Belgrade Theatre, the Skydome and its Odeon cinema, Ikea and, of course, Coventry Cathedral.We have good disabled facilities, but if you have mobility issues please let us know to ensure that your table is not upstairs!Unlike many restaurants, we are happy to welcome children.
Reviewed 11 May 2014

A great Sunday lunch menu including excellent starters and desserts. My Mother took an extra dessert home for a second time!! Really great and personable service as well.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Had a very nice time here on New Years Eve, good food, good service, reasonably priced, so we thought we would go back for more, but we are never going back again, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, there is a Wednesday night offer that states that if you buy 2 courses, your main course is half price. Instead of that offer, we were charged full price for the more expensive main course, and were given the cheaper main course free. That's not what the offer specifies.
Secondly, there are nuts in the chocolate cake. No mention of them on the menu - if there were, then I would not have ordered it. I asked the waitress to check with the chef about this, as I have a restricted diet due to an illness, and need to be very careful about what I eat. I was offered an alternative pudding, which leads to the third issue.
Thirdly, I asked the waitress to check with the chef about the ingredients of the alternative pudding, after explaining my situation. I mentioned one specific ingredient that I can't eat that could have been in the dish. I was served the dish, containing that ingredient. The waitress hadn't bothered to check with the chef, and just served me the alternative anyway, even though I had specifically asked about it. It could have made me very ill, and the waitress seemed oblivious to the consequences of this. Therefore, I recommend anyone with any special dietary requirements to stay away from here, as it seems to be too much effort for the staff to help their customers stay healthy.

1  Thank Sheila795
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We recently held a family celebration (40th wedding anniversary) at the restaurant and can highly recommend it. We were helped to plan the event by Amy Jones and on the night had excellent service from Renata. The meal was first class and despite being a large group everyone was served at the same time.

1  Thank Barry M
Reviewed 28 April 2014

A party of 17 of us went for Sunday lunch to celebrate my dad's 70th birthday.
We had a great time - the food and service were fantastic and they really looked after us. Compliments both to the chef and Renata who was our waitress.
They helped to make it a special and memorable occasion, it was great value for money and we shall definitely be back.
Thankyou again!

1  Thank ClareMo844
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I went for my birthday a while ago with a couple of friends and it was amazing. I had one if the best stakes ever, we got bubbles on the house, the service was great and the desserts were to die for! We just walked in, no reservation and we were seated right away and had a great time!