“just ok”

Price range: US$7 - US$47
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: At the Blue Bistro restaurant we offer a fabulous menu featuring modern British cuisine with a Mediterranean twist, based upon great, preferably local, seasonal ingredients, ethically sourced and cooked with passion. Despite the quality of our food, it is still possible to lunch at Blue for a fiver. Awards include the Warwickshire & Worcestershire Life Food & Drink Newcomer of the Year 2012 and an OpenTable Diners Award as one of the top ten most romantic restaurants in the UK and Ireland. The dining area at Blue covers two floors of a beautiful medieval building dating back to 1450, the exposed beams of which are complemented by striking wooden furniture to create an elegant ambiance and a unique dining experience. The building was formerly a pub called the Green Dragon - reputedly the model for the inn featured in George Eliot's Middlemarch.The restaurant is situated on the historic Spon Street, in Coventry City Centre, an easy walk from the Belgrade Theatre, the Skydome and its Odeon cinema, Ikea and, of course, Coventry Cathedral.We have good disabled facilities, but if you have mobility issues please let us know to ensure that your table is not upstairs!Unlike many restaurants, we are happy to welcome children.
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I ate here recently with a group and thought it was ok, but I probably wouldn't rush back.
We found out when we arrived that there was a great offer on - if you bought two courses you got the main course half price - well worth doing (on Wednesdays). The weird thing was that we had been on the website before going and had seen nothing at all about the offer there, thankfully they told us about it, but could be promoted a bit better.
The food I had was OK, but nothing special really. I had the parfait starter, which wasn't that tasty and the bread was really dry. The salmon main course was nice, but again nothing exceptional. It came with a jacket potato, which wasn't mentioned on the menu and seemed a bit of an odd accompaniment, new potatoes would have been better I think.
Also, the wooden benches they have as chairs were soo uncomfortable, and we were freezing cold throughout the meal. The interior is lovely though, it's nice being in an old building and there were gorgeous fresh flowers on the tables with candles which created a nice atmosphere.
There isn't a huge amount of choice on the menu, but probably something for everyone.
I ate here several years ago when it was still 1450s, and I much preferred the food I had then.

There are newer reviews for Blue Bistro

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Me and my husband visited the restaurant in May , we was warmly welcomed by staff . We truly enjoyed the whole atmosphere from food to drinks, staff are extremely friendly always on hand to provide a good service for their customers ... :)

2  Thank Mandeep D
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked the upstairs two main tables (holding 25) for my 30th birthday meal, I believe 22 adults and 6 children and we all had a great experience. The food was great everyone was really happy with what they ordered. The upstairs is a great space, it's not a massive function room it's just a beautiful space with exposed beams enough for a good gathering. I didn't have to pay for the space, just booked the tables (via Amy). Amy was interested to know what the needs of the party was to get everything right!! The food took a while to come out but that was expected given the large order. Drinks were great, the only one down fall mentioned by some of the men was no draugh bear, all bottles but hey not really a problem to be honest. The food was all beautifully cooked and the serving staff really did try to please all of us. The one change I would make to the food was to put more on the plate, and if you order a main definitely order a side. All in all this was a great venue, great food and everyone had a great time and was really impressed with the food. The main highlight for me was that the venue is central and allows children!!!! Hallelujah a decent eateries where you can take your child for a civilised meal!!!! I could have a really smart meal that wasn't in a wacky warehouse and have my son, and the children in my family there to celebrate which was brilliant!!!! Thanks Blue Bistro you made my night!!!!

1  Thank TheGrisw0lds2013
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I'd reserved a table using this app (trip advisor). I'd mentioned that it was part of an anniversary surprise. I asked for a table tucked away, possibly a little romance. However when we arrived it seemed my requests had been ignored. A little disappointing to be honest.

Once seated we were given the menu's and our drinks order taken. To start we chose the chorizo and black pudding with a poached egg. It was beautiful. Highly recommended. We also ordered the parfait which was a little bland. Possibly needed a little seasoning.

For our mains my partner had the salmon which was again delicious! Cooked to perfection and a good size fillet too. I ordered the chicken in a bacon sauce, that to was tasty.

Our desserts were a little disappointing but then again we cleared the plates which I guess says it all.

The restaurant itself is superb. Really lovely and a great setting for all kinds of occasions.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Amazing Fish& Chips, Came here again with my husband.This is turning into our regular as I love this place...if you have not been...PLEASE DO....you will not be disappointed...the Staff, Atmosphere and the fantastic food with reasonable price you definitely will be back... Theres not much left in Coventry but when your at Blue, absolutely great....

We will be back. see you soon Blue...