“very good value with smiles all round”

Village Hotel Coventry
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“very good value with smiles all round”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

superb overall value for money, the one thing that made our stay so great was the staff, nothing seemed too much trouble. Many places I've stayed at although allowing children access to all areas, have made me feel uncomfortable but here they were treated like people. It has great areas for relaxing or exercising depending on what you feel like and the food was good, always check for specials.
There was one problem with a light but someone from maintenance came very quickly and even chatted to the children while he fixed it. I would recommend this place to friends no bother at all.

Room Tip: try and book ahead if possible as there are sometimes good offers to take up
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
DamianGoom, General Manager at Village Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Lindy S
Thank you for your kind review and I am very pleased to hear that your stay was a pleasurable one. I was particularly pleased to see your comments about the team here and that your children were extended our usual welcome.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future
Kind Regards
Damian Goom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Winchester, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

I've stayed in this hotel 3 times over the years, once in 2007, once in 2008 and for four nights in 2012. The good points first. It has a really nice pool, spa and the gym is excellent, so if you're a business traveller, these are real plus points.

There's also a new Starbuck's on site, which is open from 7am week days, so you can get a decent fix of coffee before you go anywhere.

Food wise, there's the Verve restaurant, as well as the Victory Pub, which serves pretty standard bar food. To be honest, the pub is probably the better of the two.

The restaurant menu seems quite limited, lacks soul and why do you pay £2 more for a prawn cocktail there than in the pub (which was pretty nice anyway!) Still haven't figured that one out.

Now, the gripe. The hotel has a wing which is much (and I mean much colder than the other wing of the hotel). You can physically feel the temperature drop as soon as you walk over the threshold into it, which means cold rooms and I mean properly cold. The week I was there, the temperature was below freezing during the day and the room had just a small electric heater.

Guess what, when you leave the room, the power goes off, as does the heating. If you get put there, expect to be chilly.

This is a perfectly OK hotel. It's clean, the bed was comfortable, I slept well enough, but it just doesn't have consistent quality in all areas to make it a 4 dot review.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the warm part!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Traveller
Thank you for reviewing the hotel on this site and I am pleased that in the main you were happy with the service and the facilities.
With regards to the heating in bedrooms, the rooms do indeed have heaters activated by your keycard and heat the room very quickly once you arrive. However if the temperature is really cold the housekeepers ensure that a card is placed in the electric socket well before guests arrival so the room is warm. I am sorry that on this occasion you have not been placed into one of these rooms.
I hope that this will not deter you from staying again in the future.
Kind regards
SOUTH YORKSHIRE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Went with friends for a long weekend. The food not up to much, staff were very good though.Make sure you take all necessary toiletries with you as the ones in the bathroom are very basic. Shower over bath very good and plenty of hot water, towels changed when requested. All in all it's an average hotel, but make sure if you want to use the leisure club that you get in early as it's open to outsiders and gets very very busy especially with children. The 'pub' prices in the hotel are very misleading - can have special offers on but not advertised so please ask and if you stay over a weekend the offers may be on 1 night but not the other so beware. One thing I will say is that the beds are one of the most comfortable we have slept in.

Room Tip: rooms at front are lit most of the night with the floodlights so ask to be at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Travelller
Thank you for posting a review of the hotel on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that in the main you were happy with the experience but take note of a number of concerns. Although our Leisure Club is sold for private membership and is extremely busy we do have set Childrens hours allowing a significant amount of adult time. In the pub all offers are publicised on chalk boards and on the menu. We do offer a different promotion/event each day in the pub (including a Quiz night on Tuesdays, a curry night on Thursdays etc) which are advertised on posters both inside & outside of the pub and also on the placemats we use.
We hope that you are able to take advantage of these in the future.
Thanks again for your comments.
Kind Regards
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We were excited to find a fairly reasonable priced hotel near to our son in Coventry and we were looking forward to a relaxing weekend. Our plans to eat in the Victory pub attached to the hotel were quickly quashed by the over powering Karaoke which started despite the fact that, like us, most of the customers were happily watching the FA Cup game on the big screen. When the DJ tried to turn the TV off he was stopped by the mother of a family sitting next to us but this did not stop him turning up the music so that any conversation or football watching could take place. We left before ordering food and went into town. Before leaving I went to collect our coats from our room where I was greeted with the Karaoke blasting through the floor. I asked at reception when the music stopped and the helpful girl rang someone whom confirmed it would be 11.30pm. Knowing there was no point returning before this time we stayed out until 11.30 but on our return the party was still up and running even louder than before. At 11.50 I rang reception to ask about when the music would stop and was told they would try for midnight- which is when the music did stop. The reception did offer to change our room but at this point it was late and we really couldn't face the hassle. I wonder though, if there were quieter rooms available why the hotel don't put guests in those before filling up the ones directly above the pub?

Other than this I found the cleaning in the room slack, when I picked the towels up from behind the bathroom door there was a pile of dust and hairs which had not been cleaned for some time and the TV and windowsill were equally dusty. If this hotel had sold itself to us as a budget one I would have accepted these minor failings but I find the glossy website and talk of "Luxury British break" misleading.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pub
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 789janda
Crewe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed here whilst on a business trip to Coventry. The room was comfortable with TV, tea making facilities and an ironing board. The Wi-fi was free and had a strong signal throughout the hotel.

The hotel has a restaurant and a bar that serves reasonably priced pub type food.

Breakfast consisted of cereal, toast and self service cooked food.

There were extensive leisure facilities including a gym, sauna and pool.

An ideal hotel for business travellers.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
babygirl19861001
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

I am still enjoying my two night spa break here, but i felt compelled to document what a wonderful time I am having. The room is lovely, the staff are lovely and the spa treatments are second to none. I have been to many spa's and had various treatments but I must say to date I have had the BEST treatments here. I recieved a neck, shoulder and back massage and a facial from the lovely "Rachael" who was fabulous!
The only complaint I have is that I didn't book anymore treatments!!
A GREAT WAY TO SPEND MY BIRTHDAY!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank babygirl19861001
West Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed at the Village Coventry on route back from our christmas holiday in North Yorkshire. with our two small children. We were tired after a long drive and we had booked a family room. The check in staff were quick and efficient and we were soon on our way to the room.............which was a very long way - it would have been nice if the reception had told us this and offered help with our bags - considering we were tired with bags and two small children. The room was clean and bright and the sofa bed had been made up for the children - unfortunately the matress on the sofa bed was really not adequate leaving one effectively sleeping on the springs. Having said this, the quality of the nights sleep (room temp, noise from other rooms etc) was very good. The following morning we ahd the breakfast which was included in the price - which was very good and then hit the pool which was great. Word of advice - pack-up your car first before using the pool because check-out is at 11.00 - you'll get more pool time if you don't have run back to the room to pack.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family